What's new

Burt's Bees Bay Rum

As I recently have endeavored to join this "shavofile" culture by purchasing my first Vulfix brush a few weeks ago (and my first DE this morning) I have come up with my first question regarding products.

I've been using Burt's Bee's Bay Rum aftershave for a few years and have been happy with it every morning. With my new brush I purchased a tub of Nancy Boy cream and some of their aftershave. While I have been very happy with the cream, I am somewhat disappointed in the lotion. The smell is not as pleasing as my faithful dose of Burt's, and it lacks that cooling sensation that finishes off a clean shave.

Curious to see who else might agree, and look for suggestions for something new to try.

Hello and Welcome!:biggrin: name?

If you go to the review tab at the top right hand corner of this page- you will find a plethora of suggestions.
A good start might be the Nivea line of A/S.

dustind said:
As I recently have endeavored to join this "shavofile" culture by purchasing my first Vulfix brush a few weeks ago (and my first DE this morning) I have come up with my first question regarding products.

I've been using Burt's Bee's Bay Rum aftershave for a few years and have been happy with it every morning. With my new brush I purchased a tub of Nancy Boy cream and some of their aftershave. While I have been very happy with the cream, I am somewhat disappointed in the lotion. The smell is not as pleasing as my faithful dose of Burt's, and it lacks that cooling sensation that finishes off a clean shave.

Curious to see who else might agree, and look for suggestions for something new to try.

I ended up doing a lot of personal (capital-intensive) experimentation to find things that I like/things that work for me. I did come across something that might be right up your alley:

Aubrey Organics has a skin care line for me (the face wash/scrub weren't for me) but they have a few different aftershave balmes. The one you'll like, as it is somewhat similar to Burts' Bees but with more "pep" is the Spice Island ASB.

edit: here's a link if you'd like some reading material: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/spec_prods/mens_shave.cfm

I have both the aftershave balm and cologne. The balm does tend to burn at first, not a great moisturizer. I love the cologne, long lasting. Stay away from the shave soap, it makes a poor lather, though it smells nice. SInce they don't manufacture the Bay Rum shave products anymore try finding them on Eaby. I purchased mine at GNC Chicago Ridge Il for 1/2 off:smile:

bladerunner said:
I have both the aftershave balm and cologne. The balm does tend to burn at first, not a great moisturizer. I love the cologne, long lasting. Stay away from the shave soap, it makes a poor lather, though it smells nice. SInce they don't manufacture the Bay Rum shave products anymore try finding them on Eaby. I purchased mine at GNC Chicago Ridge Il for 1/2 off:smile:

GNC? Really? how long ago was that you bought them?

dustind said:
I've been using Burt's Bee's Bay Rum aftershave for a few years and have been happy with it every morning.

I hate to have to say it..... but why switch then? Usually fellas look for new balms constantly because they cannot find one that effectively works for them. Since you have - and your remedy is comparitively inexpensive - I say stick with Burts!

If you are just looking for something new to try - you aren't going to find something comparable to Burt's as it is such a "different" product in that it is kinda a balm, kinda a splash, has alcohol, etc.

If you are just looking for some nice smelling, fun to try a/s - give Musgo Real splash a go, as well as DR Harris a/s milk, Dominica Bay Rum (and bay rum/lime) - maybe throw in proraso liquid cream as well, which can be procured on the cheap at Target.

bladerunner said:

NOOOOOOO!!!!!! I just checked their website! I can't believe they discontinued it.

The drug store across the street from where I live seems to have about ten bottles of Burt's Bee's Bay Rum after shave balm at $12.00 apiece. Let me know if you want any.

Rich C. said:
The drug store across the street from where I live seems to have about ten bottles of Burt's Bee's Bay Rum after shave balm at $12.00 apiece. Let me know if you want any.

Where are you at?
My local store told me that Burt's is replaceing the line with somthing new.

I'll let you know. I'm heading to Los Angeles this weekend and will be looking around there. Thanks for the heads up.

I found one at a small natural store in my area yesterday.
If you can't find the clogne, a good complement with Burt Bees AS balm is Pinauds Clubman Bay Rum as a splash on.

Be careful with Clubman Bay Rum aftershave. It is my favorite bay rum scent, but I find it Feels like fire on my skin. Read the reviews of it. I know some find it cooling, but others painfull. I wish I could use as an aftershave, but I only use it like a colonge.

I ended up doing a lot of personal (capital-intensive) experimentation to find things that I like/things that work for me. I did come across something that might be right up your alley:

Aubrey Organics has a skin care line for me (the face wash/scrub weren't for me) but they have a few different aftershave balmes. The one you'll like, as it is somewhat similar to Burts' Bees but with more "pep" is the Spice Island ASB.

edit: here's a link if you'd like some reading material: http://www.aubrey-organics.com/spec_prods/mens_shave.cfm
I wholeheartedly agree. I was in Whole Foods last week, poking around in the shaving products. I was pleasantly surprised to find the Aubrey products and noted the similarities in consistency and scent to the Burt's Bees Bay Rum ASB. As soon as my Burts runs out (sadness) I'll be picking up the Aubrey Spice Island (gladness).

Stay away from the shave soap, it makes a poor lather, though it smells nice.

This is true...but if you add a little glycerin (also sold at WF) and maybe a little unscented Kiss My Face SC(again, also at Whole foods) this stuff is great! You get the great scent but you also get rich, slick lather. just my 2 cents...

Top Bottom