What's new

burr grinders?

I've only been regular drinking coffee for about 2 years (bought my first coffee maker, a Ninja). One of the reasons I picked it is it has a setting for small batches. I am making for just myself, so I don't need a 12-cup batch.

Anyway, I've been reading that grinding your own beans is the way to go, and to use a burr grinder, not the whirly blade/food processor/blender.

I've been looking around, mostly on A*zon, and most of what I've seen are big units that combine the grinder with coffee maker and is intended to do the whole 1 lb (well, 12 oz these days) bag at once.

I'm looking for something to grind up 1 days worth, I batch for me is normally 1/4 cup ground coffee per day. Do they make grinders that do small batches and don't take up a bunch of counter space?

Burr grinders are great. People way more experienced in this area should be able to provide you with some more information/guidance. The blades “chop” the beans and so you don’t get a consistent grind size. Inconsistent grind means an inconsistent brew, and then you get inconsistent flavor. Burr grinders help provide a more consistent grind, more consistent brew, and more consistent flavor(s).

+1 to @musicman1951 recommendation, the Baratza Encore has been my go to for the past couple years as well. Great entry level workhorse grinder! They can also be found refurbished direct from Baratza for a discount.

Good luck on your coffee journey!

Here are a couple of shots of what I use for grinding. The tray's enough for two cups of coffee (or four tablespoons of coffee beans before grinding).

Moulin 1 de 2.jpg
Moulin 2 de 2.jpg

The Baratza Encore has many great reviews. However, knowing what your budget limit is would be helpful. You can get a lower end burr grinder for as little as $50, possibly less if you can find one on sale, and it will still be better than a spice grinder. There are also some Baratza grinders, such as the Virtuoso+ or Vario, that are a bit more than the Encore, but may be worth considering if your budget allows and you want something that is among the best.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
The burr grinder I use most is a vintage KitchenAid attachment. It does a lovely grind for what I want but I can't set it too fine. Good enough for drip, French press or steep-n-strain. It has iron burrs so grinding an oily dark roast doesn't mess up the burrs. Some, like Mockmill which fits KitchenAid, have ceramic burrs that may not play well with the oils.

I also have a small one by Black and Decker. It works, but boy-howdy is it ever slow and noisy. Crank that thing up first thing in the morning and you're not gonna need the coffee. You will be awake with your ears ringing, as will everyone else in the household. Right bugger to clean, too.

I have a vintage hand-crank for when the power's out. Even slower than the B&D, but if you want coffee no matter what it'll do the trick after about 30 minutes of cranking.

O.H.

The burr grinder I use most is a vintage KitchenAid attachment. It does a lovely grind for what I want but I can't set it too fine. Good enough for drip, French press or steep-n-strain. It has iron burrs so grinding an oily dark roast doesn't mess up the burrs. Some, like Mockmill which fits KitchenAid, have ceramic burrs that may not play well with the oils.

I also have a small one by Black and Decker. It works, but boy-howdy is it ever slow and noisy. Crank that thing up first thing in the morning and you're not gonna need the coffee. You will be awake with your ears ringing, as will everyone else in the household. Right bugger to clean, too.

I have a vintage hand-crank for when the power's out. Even slower than the B&D, but if you want coffee no matter what it'll do the trick after about 30 minutes of cranking.

O.H.
No more than five minutes of grinding for me in the morning, and I have control over the grind wanting it ground coarse for percolating. Meanwhile the electric water pot is bringing the water to the boil. Then five minutes of cooking with the percolator. Ten minutes total before the first sip.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
For easy everyday grinding for drip or press, a simple Capresso burr grinder works well for me. For espresso I love my Baratza Sette, but it would be an unworkable PITA to try to go back and forth from espresso to coarser uses like drip, let alone press. If you only plan to use it for drip or press, I will say my Capresso is easy to use and has lasted well over ten years so far. A manual grinder like a Zassenhaus or a Spong will be quieter, slower, last for ever, and deliver superlative grinding. Now I miss my Spong.

With any grinder you can load it with only what you intend to grind/brew right then, whether that was for 1 cup or 6. That is useful if you are switching back and forth between different coffees or wanting to keep your coffee stored in an air tight container. While a whirly blade grinder is not ideal, if you are only brewing drip coffee in a filter basket it may work well enough. A hand grinder is another option.

that baratza linked is a good start for sure and is about where I would start last a long time etc... would do a good job but you can get some OK for sub $100 :)

this might be a good start for a wide overview of grinders in general

This is in the sub $100 review of a few granted he is in England but this guy is legit knows his stuff

yeah grinding your own from a decent burr is going to be a nice bump in flavor :)

I'd go a peugeot I've had this bresil for over ten years so i've only used it about 3,000 times! it rocks I do one to two cups of joe or an 8 cup french press. The 8 cup french press I used to race the water on a 1800 watt induction burner so maybe two-three minutes to grind prolly less, nowadays it's just pot brew, 2-4 cups and it takes what seems like 30 seconds to grind I find it meditating like taking the time for a nice shave. I've even made espresso with it but that fine of grind thats a bit longer still less then 5 minutes though.
If counter space is at a premium having something you don't need to fiddle with the cord and just throw in and out of a cabinet is very nice.
they also started making their burr coffee mill in 1840 and still make them almost 200 years later so there's that.
DSCF9590.JPG
DSCF9592.JPG

Last edited:
ANY budget grinder is better than "pre-ground" and packaged or a whirly chopper.

I had a couple of "budget/starter" burr grinders that I sold locally for $25 each.

Look on craigslist or FB marketplace for burr grinders in the under $40 price range. Most will be small ceramic flat burr grinders which are adequate for filtered coffee.

Now that I've said all that... personally I have only bought and used Baratza grinders for filter coffee.

Pic from about 10 years ago. All have been replaced with different models now
grinders_x6.jpg

Baratza are exceptional. Adjust the grind finer without a load of beans, and ONLY when it is running/rotating. If the units are like those I purchased 15 years ago (I still have btw!), there is a plastic component that doesn't take well to too much pressure. On the other hand, don't worry if it breaks as it's an inexpensive replacement and easy to do. The equipment is excellent and perfect for the use you want.

ANY budget grinder is better than "pre-ground" and packaged or a whirly chopper.

I had a couple of "budget/starter" burr grinders that I sold locally for $25 each.

Look on craigslist or FB marketplace for burr grinders in the under $40 price range. Most will be small ceramic flat burr grinders which are adequate for filtered coffee.

Now that I've said all that... personally I have only bought and used Baratza grinders for filter coffee.

Pic from about 10 years ago. All have been replaced with different models now
View attachment 1353199

is that a A Pasquini knock box base ?
it so looks like one :)

I have a pasquini livia (kept it have to rebuild it my first higher end machine from over 20 years ago so kept it) sold me Elektra A3 recently and just use a Cafelat Robot these days still have my mazzer and a comandante hand grinder though :) not sure whats next for a higher end machine though ?

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I mostly use a Delonghi Dedica coffee maker and grind beans, nothing fancy just Lavazza from the store. I use a cheap Krups blade grinder (£20) but I had a long term loan of an inexpensive Krups burr grinder (£50) and compared the two. I tried my usual Delonghi, as well as my French press, and my moka pot, various bean brands and grind sizes, and I could not tell any difference at all in the finished brew. Perhaps my palate is not refined enough but my blade chopper is fine for me. That said, if it failed I would probably get a cheap burr grinder.

The Porlex Mini is a nice hand grinder if you want something portable.

However I just use a cheap bladed grinder at home. My philosophy for good coffee is fine grind & fast extraction. You won't need to worry about different-sized lumps if you grind it fine.

I use a Time More C2 steel burr hand grinder when brewing pour over 1 mug at at time, and the Carpreso ceramic burr for making up to 4 cups for work day thermos.

is that a A Pasquini knock box base ?
it so looks like one :)

I have a pasquini livia (kept it have to rebuild it my first higher end machine from over 20 years ago so kept it) sold me Elektra A3 recently and just use a Cafelat Robot these days still have my mazzer and a comandante hand grinder though :) not sure whats next for a higher end machine though ?
I have 3. One double and 2 single drawers. I use them to store "bits"

I'm still happy with my Pasquini after about 12 or so years. I need to put in a new gasket but no interest in changing.

Top Bottom