What's new

Burr Grinder

What do places like Starbucks use?

"Places like Starbucks" is pretty vague, so I'll address categories independently.

Starbucks uses a Ditting for bulk grinding (i.e. - French Press), and pre-ground pouches for their Coffee Of the Day. (at least, they did when I worked there a few years ago)

For espresso, they have their SuperAutomatic espresso machines with built in grinders. Takes all of the art and 'specialty' out of the equation. I have no idea what grinders Saeco stuck in them, either.

Places that compete with Starbucks tend to use something like a Grindmaster or Bunn G3 for bulk, and something like a Mazzer SuperJolly, or Rossi RR45 for espresso.

Places that see Starbucks as no competition use things like Mazzer Roburs, or Anfim Super Caimano , or Malkhonig K30(or K60), or a Kompak K10 conical. Everyone has their preference of what they like, based on grind speed, cup quality, and efficiency (i.e. - cleanliness, accuracy when dosing, etc..) They also tend to use Ditting or Malkhonig bulk grinders for things like chemex, french press, siphon, or auto-drip.

Big bucks, those. The closest thing to any of them that I have seen in this thread has been the doserless MACAP picture up there.

For home use, I have a Super Jolly for espresso that doubles as use for other brew methods (for its grind quality). You can swing these on e-bay for pretty cheap sometimes. (pretty cheap meaning <$300)

It used to be an industry standard, but time marches on, and so does innovation and technology.

Man I need an upgrade, grinder and machine :frown:

I have been getting great results though but I know it can be better.

I've got a used Gaggia MDF that will be up for sale very shortly, if you're interested.

I'm really just looking to get rid of it for the counter space (and it never really gets any use these days). It could probably use some new burrs, but those are pretty cheap.

I had it modified to be doserless, and it probably needs a refresh of this mod. (known as the Teflon tape mod). I have lost the parts that allow the steps to work, and I may still have them somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them. (but if I do, they'll be included)

Your coffee will benefit more from the grind than from the machine, but you're right on that too. You would benefit from a pump machine.

I've got a used Gaggia MDF that will be up for sale very shortly, if you're interested.

I'm really just looking to get rid of it for the counter space (and it never really gets any use these days). It could probably use some new burrs, but those are pretty cheap.

I had it modified to be doserless, and it probably needs a refresh of this mod. (known as the Teflon tape mod). I have lost the parts that allow the steps to work, and I may still have them somewhere, but I haven't been able to find them. (but if I do, they'll be included)

Your coffee will benefit more from the grind than from the machine, but you're right on that too. You would benefit from a pump machine.

I wasn't aware of that grinder until you posted. It looks a lot like the Rancilio Rocky doser grinder...is it the same? I have a doser Rocky and love it...except for the doser itself. I cut off the porta filter holder and dose into an Oxo 2 oz. measuring cup. What is the Teflon tape mod you mentioned (although I will google after I hit "submit reply).

I wasn't aware of that grinder until you posted. It looks a lot like the Rancilio Rocky doser grinder...is it the same? I have a doser Rocky and love it...except for the doser itself. I cut off the porta filter holder and dose into an Oxo 2 oz. measuring cup. What is the Teflon tape mod you mentioned (although I will google after I hit "submit reply).

If price were not a factor, between the two, I would prefer a Rocky.

The Teflon Tape mod, as it is known, is something I did out of frustration in an effort to have a stepless grinder when all I had was my MDF. I wrote a how-to back then and posted it here: http://coffeeaspirations.blogspot.com/2006/07/barista-guild-of-america-and-how-to.html

(which reminds me.. that blog is FAR overdue for an update)

It was used on Rocky's in an effort to stabilize the upper burr carrier. The threads on the carrier weren't very precise, and they tended to give a little during grinding. This results in something less than precise during grinding.

If price were not a factor, between the two, I would prefer a Rocky.

The Teflon Tape mod, as it is known, is something I did out of frustration in an effort to have a stepless grinder when all I had was my MDF. I wrote a how-to back then and posted it here: http://coffeeaspirations.blogspot.com/2006/07/barista-guild-of-america-and-how-to.html

(which reminds me.. that blog is FAR overdue for an update)

It was used on Rocky's in an effort to stabilize the upper burr carrier. The threads on the carrier weren't very precise, and they tended to give a little during grinding. This results in something less than precise during grinding.

I always thought stepless was less stable then stepped? Go figure. Anyway, while I'm a bit of a geek (I PIDed my Gaggia coffee deluxe after all) I don't think the instability you mention would impact my amateurish palate. Thanks for the idea though...googling it led me to another mod, taping velcro to the doser blades for a full, clean sweep of the doser chamber. That is something that does drive me nuts being the anal retentive freak that I am.

I always thought stepless was less stable then stepped? Go figure. Anyway, while I'm a bit of a geek (I PIDed my Gaggia coffee deluxe after all) I don't think the instability you mention would impact my amateurish palate. Thanks for the idea though...googling it led me to another mod, taping velcro to the doser blades for a full, clean sweep of the doser chamber. That is something that does drive me nuts being the anal retentive freak that I am.

I don't like using Velcro, because coffee grounds can work its way into the velcro fiber itself.

I did that mod to my SJ with electrical tape. Works well.

Probably too late to jump in here, but we bought our burr grinder a few years ago at Starbucks, and have been very happy with it. It is robust, convenient, does its job well, and I don't think it cost over $100.

Top Bottom