What's new

Burning Blade

I have found through experience that some blades leave a odd burning sensation on my skin. Is this a reaction to the blades coating?

Have others experienced this?

Thanks

I have found through experience that some blades leave a odd burning sensation on my skin. Is this a reaction to the blades coating?

Have others experienced this?

Thanks
Was it Derby Extra the green pack, because, I get the burning sensation on my skin from Derby Extra.

I’ve would never touch another Derby blade.

I get irritation off some blades even after a single light pass.
I had to chuck my Voskhods because of the effect on my skin. It could have been the teflon coating? Perhaps there's more added than on other blades. Who knows....

My first guess is that it may be the coatings.

Two suggestions:
1. Keep a list of the blades that you react to.
2. Compare some of the SS vs coated blade blade pairs, for example Astra SP vs SS or Shark SC vs SS.

Pre-shave oil or not, there always will be some blades that give you the burning. It is strictly individual. It is not only the coating. In some cases the particular blade model is just too sharp for your skin. The third factor is what's the cream / soap and how good or thick is your lather. I have many blades that don't leave me with the burning after 3 passes, but that's only with some creams. Even brushes could make big difference with very sensitive skin. E.g. boar v/s synthetic.

It may be possible for a coating to cause that but I think more likely it's that the blade is a little rough or maybe sharper than your skin likes. It could even be that you're using a little pressure or using a fairly heavy razor that's applying some pressure even if you're not. I'd try a slightly less sharp blade and be very careful with the pressure and see if it gets better. I've also found alum is an excellent way to evaluate the smoothness of blades. I look for blades that give me shaves where I don't feel any feedback from the alum at all after my shave. It's easy for me to recognize a blade that's a little rough now.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Derby is the only brand of what ive tried that are just unacceptable but never had burning even with derby. That might be an allergy or too much pressure or ymmv.

Was it Derby Extra the green pack, because, I get the burning sensation on my skin from Derby Extra.

I’ve would never touch another Derby blade.

I have tried the Derby before and had the same results. It gave me horrible weapers.

My first guess is that it may be the coatings.

Two suggestions:
1. Keep a list of the blades that you react to.
2. Compare some of the SS vs coated blade blade pairs, for example Astra SP vs SS or Shark SC vs SS.

Platinum coating seems to be not as irritating. Some stainless blades even give bad reactions, I’ll experiment.
Thanks for the advice.

It may be possible for a coating to cause that but I think more likely it's that the blade is a little rough or maybe sharper than your skin likes. It could even be that you're using a little pressure or using a fairly heavy razor that's applying some pressure even if you're not. I'd try a slightly less sharp blade and be very careful with the pressure and see if it gets better. I've also found alum is an excellent way to evaluate the smoothness of blades. I look for blades that give me shaves where I don't feel any feedback from the alum at all after my shave. It's easy for me to recognize a blade that's a little rough now.

Thanks for the help. I’ll have to try some alum.

Have you come to the conclusion it is the blade that is causing the burning irritation? Usually the burning reaction I got was from certain soaps I was using. There are a few soaps I used that felt like I set my face on fire, Cremo, Wet Shave Products, Catie's Bubbles, K Shave Worx, and Tabac I know are a few of them. The worst was Cremo, my face hurt for 2 days afterwards. WSP was close to the Cremo, the other were not so bad and just light to medium tingling on the face.

When I was searching for the one blade to use I don't think I ever got a reaction from the blades, they just pulled really bad and did not cut efficiently.

Platinum coating seems to be not as irritating. Some stainless blades even give bad reactions, I’ll experiment.
Thanks for the advice.
Not necessarily. Lord Platinums give me irritation, Lord Super Chrome and all the Lord Stainless varieties don't.

Maybe the waxy stuff used in blades can cause allergic reactions to some
individuals.
Or it can be the possible residues from industrial grade lubricants used during manufacturing ...

I found the same constant burning feeling 2 days after I shave, but I have noticed only the SS versions does not "burn" me, but not every SS (Feather for example was brutal, I didn't have any cuts, still the burn was awful) . Have tried with various angles, razors, soaps, creams, aftershaves and as far as I can tell, my skin doesn't like the platinum blades. So just try different options.

The blades that came packed with the “supply” v2 made my neck break out in a rash. It sucks too because I liked the blades otherwise.

While I am NOT a medical professional, I believe that the amount of time that a razor blade is in contact with your skin is not nearly long enough to cause irritation or burning. Especially if you are shaving with a lather. Otherwise I would expect if someone was that sensitive, eating with a stainless fork would cause hand and mouth irritation.

I believe most of that irritation and burning is technique or possibly sensitivity to the shaving lather. Or just the blade doesn't work for one's face or blade-razor combo. I had a puck of bay rum shave soap that irritated my skin really badly.

Top Bottom