What's new

Burned on eBay

I won auction on eBay a (Torrey army razor). When it arrived a closer inspection the blade was cracked about a good 1/4in piece about to chip off. The description never revealed this and in the pics it appears as corrosion. I know as a buyer eBay will side with me anyway. But this is just frustrating. Going through the whole process. Just venting guys sorry

Yep it sure does happen, and sometimes even cracked and hidden and you don't notice it until it's been cleaned, this is the pitfall of auction sites I'm afraid.....
As they say some you win some you lose.

Not sure how far along you are with razor acquisitions or if you were hunting an Army Torrey in particular but... I acquired a Torrey amongst some other razors this week. I would be glad to send it to you if you forward your address. Nothing special and needs to be cleaned/honed but the metal looks good. Must be mighty special because the scales are two different colors.

Attachments

• 2020_Jun_26_0194_LR-2.JPG
    2020_Jun_26_0194_LR-2.JPG
    501.4 KB · Views: 38
  • 2020_Jun_26_0195_LR.JPG
    2020_Jun_26_0195_LR.JPG
    555.4 KB · Views: 37
It happens too often, but the strong survive. Stand up for yourself. I have to do it all the time. I get taken far less often for It. Nevertheless, I'm sorry you gotta deal with it.

I've had good experiences with even bad products on E-Bay. Sellers are so afraid of getting bad feedback that they usually jump thru their own a** to make it right. I find the "Guaranteed Delivery" dates to be a moneysaver - last 3 items I bought missed the Guaranteed date because of post Office Delays, but E-Bay gives $5 credit for each late delivery. As a seller, I'd never use a Guaranteed Delivery, since you're at the mercy of the Post Office.
Many of the Chinese sellers with US mailing addresses literally demand a 5 star feedback. From me they get a 4 with notation that mooching for 5 stars doesn't sit well with me.

I’m done with eBay. I purchased a 50mm prime lens and an extended warranty on eBay. Shortly after my purchase eBay notified me that the seller’s account had been hacked and there wasn’t a lens. They refunded the cost of the lens but said they could not refund the extended warranty. What a total scam.

This sort of thing does tend happen, and even happens here on this site. I have purchased from a very upstanding member of this site who had overlooked something. Something that was quite obvious!!

I've had a couple of bad experiences on the bay, but far outweighed by the good ones, and some even great experiences where I got far more than I bargained for. I have never been burned by the good members of B&B. The closest I've come to that was winning a PIF that never arrived. I don't believe the giver is even a member anymore. Something came up, I'm sure, that was far more important than remembering to mail a package.

I have been in both situations... I, too, won a PIF on a guitar forum, and never got the item. They guy is cool, so I just let it drop.

On the other hand, I sold a guitar once on Reverb as "no issues" and when the buyer got it, found a finish flaw... and a big/obvious one at that, where the finish sank into the wood. How I missed it, I have no idea... but I profoundly apologized, refunded his money and payed for return shipping. It happens.

i recently noticed particular japanese straight razors being sold by a seller for straights with at least 4 different accounts selling the same misnamed/pictured razor for 4 different prices/styles of sale AND shipping. I can't tell if it's legitimate, but it's definitely a red flag for me. It was purchase suggestions from the auction site that tipped me off to the various accounts with the same weird pictures.

Bought a stone, seller had weird angles and the tape measure bent in every pic... looked like a 9-10" stone in a 12+" box. Not much 9-10" that isn't good. Gets here and it's an 8x1.75" India in a 9.5" box. No returns obviously. He knew exactly what he was doing.

Another seller, 6" hard ark, not the focus of any pictures... lot is the arkansas and a few tiny watch-makers bits that are pretty clearly worth very little... but seller focuses every picture on them and just has the stone off to the side. Can't see much from pictures except it's a 6" translucent and it's greasy.

Gets here and there's a massive crack splitting the stone right through the middle, length-wise. Working on that return now. Seller also had "no returns" but undisclosed damage is covered by eBay. The India where the seller just used BS photos to make the stone look bigger than it is, just add him to the list of crooks and avoid him in the future.

The worst was when I was just a kid though, Built computers and sold parts as a side gig. In one week got stung twice. Fake Money Order (this was before Paypal). Deposited it at the counter before shipping because I figured they'd recognize a fake and let me know. Bank cashed it and all... a week later, they bill me the value of it because it was a fake. $300 loss on a CPU. And then I made the mistake of sending a stick of memory to another buyer without Insurance or Delivery Confirmation (USPS didn't put delivery confirmation/tracking on every package back then like they do now). Buyer says it never arrived... I have no way to prove otherwise. Had to refund them. That cost me $200.

I won auction on eBay a (Torrey army razor). When it arrived a closer inspection the blade was cracked about a good 1/4in piece about to chip off. The description never revealed this and in the pics it appears as corrosion. I know as a buyer eBay will side with me anyway. But this is just frustrating. Going through the whole process. Just venting guys sorry

I WENT THRU THE SAME THING WITH AUDIO EQUIP. EBAY REFUNDED MY MONEY B4
I DROPED THE THING IN THE POST WITH A PREPAID LABEL VERY EASY
BUT STILL A PAIN WHEN PEOPLE ARE NOT HONEST. I HAVE 100 PER CENT POSITIVE
I TRY AND DESCRIBE ALL THE BAD ON AN ITEM SO THE BUYER IS AWARE PEOPLE
WHO BOUGHT FROM HAVE REVIEW ME THAT WAS BETTER THAN THE DESCRIPTION

Top Bottom