What's new

Burma-Shave?

I just received as a gift from my mom a Burma-Shave set with a tin, a mug, a brush, and a puck of Burma-Shave soap. I'll try the brush out just because I love brushes, but I was wondering if the soap was even worth bothering with, since I haven't heard anyone around here talk about it :)

I don't think or at least didn't that Burma Shave still makes soap but I guess they do. I've never used it but I would guess its like Williams and VDH and Surrey which means its pretty basic stuff. It will get the job done and that's about it.

The Burma Shave soap was (I believe) made by VDH, so it's probably the same formula as the regular Surrey or VDH Select. It's not bad soap, just like TBS pointed out, it's just very very basic.

The best part about Burma-Shave shaving soap is that the original Burma-Shave cream was marketed as being superior to soaps and creams that required the use of a brush.

An interesting tidbit about Burma-Shave I've been wanting to tell someone: it's owned by Personna!

I love the white/red/black color combo of the brush. It almost looks like an Ever Ready brush to me.

I remember as a kid taking a car trip with my family and we saw original Berma-Shave roadside signs while in the Finger Lakes area of upper NY State.
(OK, I'm geezin' here) :eek:

I just received as a gift from my mom a Burma-Shave set with a tin, a mug, a brush, and a puck of Burma-Shave soap. I'll try the brush out just because I love brushes, but I was wondering if the soap was even worth bothering with, since I haven't heard anyone around here talk about it :)

I have three of those sets! Bought one on a whim then two more to save as potential gifts. (I also have a couple of NOS ball-tip Gold Techs to toss in to make them complete shaving kits.)

I was quite surprised that the soap was pretty good. The brush gets the job done. The mug is OK (the print will come off or lighten considerably with any semi harsh cleaning). I kinda like the tin it comes in too! Then there is that little booklet with about 20 Burma-Shave poems. The Haiku of the American highways!

The odd thing is that Burma-Shave got famous by dissing shaving soap and brushes as being old fashioned and only sold shaving cream in a can! Some of their poems made fun of shaving brushes, etc. American Safety Razor bought them out in 1963. The Burma-Shave soap in the kit it says it is made by ASR. I think someone at ASR just decided to make something with the famous name.

I think all those Burma-Shave kits are discontinued items. Mine came with store stickers on them. One was Target. I forget the others.

Last edited:
I use a Burma Shave brush every other day.

- Chris

I gave one a pretty fair shake, and feel it is better than the VDH Boar brush. Unfortunately, any Burma Shave boar brushes left for sale are NOS, as they stopped production on this item.

Meijer (the major competitor for Wal-Mart in the Michigan region) was stocking the Burma Shave brush for a mere $5.00 which was the perfect price to include them in low cost newbie kits. I cleaned one of my Meijer stores out, and they have yet to restock. :frown:

I have yet to check the other store, as it is about 5 miles away (not far, just don't get out that way often).

A review of the Burma Shave soap can be found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=7432

and here:

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=5503

Last edited:
I gave one a pretty fair shake, and feel it is better than the VDH Boar brush. Unfortunately, any Burma Shave boar brushes left for sale are NOS, as they stopped production on this item.

Meijer (the major competitor for Wal-Mart in the Michigan region) was stocking the Burma Shave brush for a mere $5.00 which was the perfect price to include them in low cost newbie kits. I cleaned one of my Meijer stores out, and they have yet to restock. :frown:

I have yet to check the other store, as it is about 5 miles away (not far, just don't get out that way often).

A review of the Burma Shave soap can be found here: http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=7432

and here:

http://www.theshaveden.com/forum/showthread.php?ltr=B&t=5503

I was at the Meijer in Grand Haven last month and was surprised to see Burma Shave brushes on the shelf. If you're in the area, worth a trip. They're great to get someone started on a mug and brush.

My local Target still carries the Burma Shave brush, for 6.99 IIRC. I wasn't too crazy about the Burma Shave brush compared to the VDH.

I think you'll enjoy it. That's what I started out wet shaving with in Spring 08.

Even though there are much better soaps out there, that soap and brush is a vast improvement over the canned foams and gels out there.

If you haven't used it yet, soak the brush overnight in warm water to loosen the bristeles up a little.

Thanks everybody, I appreciate the info and the links :D I'll post a review sometime if I get the chance to try out the soap. Today I'm sticking with AOS Unscented as the baby is down for a quick nap and I only have a few minutes for shower and shave (...and B&B...) :)

Burma Shave? All I can think about is the little signs on the side of the road. As a kid, I would really look forward to them and their stories.

Top Bottom