What's new

Burley

My experience with burley is limited to MacBaren offerings. That said, my impressions are:

*Burley-dominated blends tend to have a very laid-back flavor for me. Almost flavorless if I'm coming off of a lat-containing blend or straight Va
*HH burley flake is one where I got a decent nutty/chocolaty/milky flavor from, but it is so laid back in flavor that you might mistake it for being flavorless if coming off of a stronger blend
*Burley blends seem a little stronger on the nic hit
*McB Navy flake is a nice burley flake. It has a little added flavoring but still it is the mildest tasting tobacco in my rotation (Orlik golden slices, Plum Pudding special reserve, McB Balkan Blend). It is a very, very smooth, easy-going flake.

PM me if you want samples.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Been dabbling with pipe smoking for about 4 years now. Have read and learned alot from the BL in all manner and things of the pipe. But Burley tobacco still has me puzzled. I can't seem to get Burley figured out. My first experience with Burley of course, came with the right of passage blend that all new pipe smokers come across or start out with Carter Hall.

I have had it fresh and aged several years, but the cigarette taste from the Burley forward blend never got better, even with a few years of age. I just don't enjoy it. Which confuses me, because I'm now on my second tub of H&H's Chatham Manor which is also described as a Burley forward Burley/Virginia blend very close in likeness to Carter Hall and I can't seem to get enough of it fresh, I like it so much I can't keep enough to age.

Another virginia/ burley blend is Missouri Meerschaums, "Missouri Pride." Bought a pouch of this when I first started and it seemed kinda harsh, so I put it up for two years and it turned into an absolute wonderful smoke. In fact, I just finished off the last bowl of it a week ago, so decided to open up a jar of another Virginia/Burley blend Peterson's Irish Dew.

Got a pouch of it 3 years ago and it was awful. So, jarred up the rest of it and just opened it a couple of days ago after three years of aging. While it wasn't awful anymore, it still wasn't very good to my palate. No chocolate or nuttiness that was described, picked up by my taste buds, just bitter, harsh cigarette notes.

I just don't get how simple, virginia/burley blends can be so different? I have read about "white burley's" are there different kinds and type of Burley's that taste different from one another? I just don't understand. I can smoke English's where a little Burley really smooths out the blend and makes it taste wonderful, why am I having trouble with Burley and Virginia blends?
One reason you might be getting a cigarette taste is that you may be smoking too fast. Sip and see if it makes a difference especially with the H&H.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I actually don't have any problems with the H&H. It's my favorite Burley/Virginia blend.
The last H&H I smoked was made by Pinkerton. It bit like an alligator and had a cloying thing going on. Now, many years later you have inspired me to pick up a pouch and try it again. It is now made by Lane and is a whole different animal. I’m actually loving it. May end getting a tub. This may take first place in my codger blends. Thanks.
Steve

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
The last H&H I smoked was made by Pinkerton. It bit like an alligator and had a cloying thing going on. Now, many years later you have inspired me to pick up a pouch and try it again. It is now made by Lane and is a whole different animal. I’m actually loving it. May end getting a tub. This may take first place in my codger blends. Thanks.
Steve

You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help, even though I didn't realize I was helping. :) I think I will break out some tonight and load a bowl of H&H up myself in honor of this occasion.

It goes really well with a cold & frosty... :)

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You are very welcome! I'm glad I could help, even though I didn't realize I was helping. :) I think I will break out some tonight and load a bowl of H&H up myself in honor of this occasion.

It goes really well with a cold & frosty... :)
Had my cool and frosty before supper. Time to go out for a post repast H&H smoke. It is your fault that I just ordered six pouches. Bad 👦

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I'd jar up a few of those pouches and let them age. :)
I have a feeling they just won’t last that long. We had a beautiful evening here today and I put a chair under a tree, popped a brew and smoked three bowls. It made a pleasant evening even more so. The Lane is far better than the Pinkerton version which was too heavily topped to the point you couldn’t even taste the tobacco. A real mess. The topping on the Lane is in the background where it belongs letting the tobacco stay up front and leaves a very good aftertaste. I expect the lane is like the original. Good you came along as I may have missed out on it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I have a feeling they just won’t last that long. We had a beautiful evening here today and I put a chair under a tree, popped a brew and smoked three bowls. It made a pleasant evening even more so. The Lane is far better than the Pinkerton version which was too heavily topped to the point you couldn’t even taste the tobacco. A real mess. The topping on the Lane is in the background where it belongs letting the tobacco stay up front and leaves a very good aftertaste. I expect the lane is like the original. Good you came along as I may have missed out on it.

I have only been doing this pipe thing 3 or 4 years and have built up pretty a nice tobacco cellar of various blends.

But if I could only have one? H&H Chatham Manor has a good chance of being it.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I have only been doing this pipe thing 3 or 4 years and have built up pretty a nice tobacco cellar of various blends.

But if I could only have one? H&H Chatham Manor has a good chance of being it.
I started pipe smoking in 1968 I believe. I just came off about a 10 year break because I just smoked too much. I don’t inhale it any longer but enjoy it just as much - perhaps more now. I’m just starting to build up a bit of stock but I remember most of what I used to enjoy and also can access my old reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. I’m now committed to mostly Burley blends. I just never developed a taste for VA forward blends and especially straight VA. So this time around I’m concentrating on Burley based blends and seeking them out specifically. I’m sure I’ve yet to find the best. I still love the old American OTC blends and will explore them more deeply as I go along. There are many still available via “Match” and “Lane” I haven’t tried. Too bad they can’t be had for fifty cents a pack.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
I started pipe smoking in 1968 I believe. I just came off about a 10 year break because I just smoked too much. I don’t inhale it any longer but enjoy it just as much - perhaps more now. I’m just starting to build up a bit of stock but I remember most of what I used to enjoy and also can access my old reviews on tobaccoreviews.com. I’m now committed to mostly Burley blends. I just never developed a taste for VA forward blends and especially straight VA. So this time around I’m concentrating on Burley based blends and seeking them out specifically. I’m sure I’ve yet to find the best. I still love the old American OTC blends and will explore them more deeply as I go along. There are many still available via “Match” and “Lane” I haven’t tried. Too bad they can’t be had for fifty cents a pack.
Here is a recommendation from a Burley heavy guy. Match Elizabethan. It is a Va/Per with the perique forward but extremely well balanced. It has the fullness of a Burley but contains none and there is no topping. It just tastes like tobacco. The VA adds a bit of sweetness but the Perique is what sets it off. It is a blending of the discontinued Dunhill Elizabethan. I really wasn’t expecting anything spectacular but that is what I got. I got an from Pipesandcigars.com and highly recommend.

Wow this thread brings back memories, I raised or worked in Burley tobacco fields from the time I was 9 until about 35 when the government bought out our bases (allotment of pounds you were allowed to grow). Most of the Missouri Burley went cigarette manufacturers. we did save some back to chew after pressing and aging for a year but it was still really harsh.

Top Bottom