What's new

Bunn vs Moccamaster

We’ve had a Bunn, I think 3 of them, the past 30 years and I’ve been looking at the Moccamaster as something different to replace the Bunn.

Would this be considered an upgrade or a sideways move?

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I don’t have any experience with the Bunn but can recommend anything that MoccaMaster makes. The best part is when (if) they wear out you can buy parts to repair them. Ours has been brewing at least a pot of coffee everyday we’re home for the last 10yrs.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
I think I'm on my second Bunn since 1979. This one was given to me as a re-man by Bunn when the old one died for the last time in around 1995. I've repaired it several times and it still soldiers on. Buy something once and have stellar customer service for at least the next 43 years; why would I change?

About the only thing I changed was to use a stainless showerhead from a commercial Bunn. I found a few in a scrap yard 30 years ago and have them carefully squirrelled away.

Me being a coffee person and Mrs. Hippie being a tea person we tend to use the thing like a samovar.

O.H.

Reactions: Wid
I think I'm on my second Bunn since 1979. This one was given to me as a re-man by Bunn when the old one died for the last time in around 1995. I've repaired it several times and it still soldiers on. Buy something once and have stellar customer service for at least the next 43 years; why would I change?

About the only thing I changed was to use a stainless showerhead from a commercial Bunn. I found a few in a scrap yard 30 years ago and have them carefully squirrelled away.

Me being a coffee person and Mrs. Hippie being a tea person we tend to use the thing like a samovar.

O.H.

That’s the thing, the do last forever. The only reason we bought the last eat one is a store was closing and had it on clearance. We gave the sister in law the older one and it’s still going strong.

I think I’ll hold on to the Bunn and nix the new coffee maker idea for the time being. Can’t say we are dissatisfied with it, that’s for sure.

We’ve had a Bunn, I think 3 of them, the past 30 years and I’ve been looking at the Moccamaster as something different to replace the Bunn.

Would this be considered an upgrade or a sideways move?
My second hand opinion is that would be a sideways move in coffee taste, as both should brew properly. But could be justified if looking for a different design or physical dimensions on the countertop, or wanting to change the carafe from glass to thermal or vice-versa.

I really couldn’t pass this up. It was local to me for a really good price, used. It’s in very good shape and was the model I was looking at. The Bunn isn’t going anywhere.

DD0D2662-E7F0-4456-AC9A-0C544744B187.jpeg

For those who have an Encore grinder, what is your setting for the MochaMaster?

I'm using 20 on my Virtuoso grinder, which I'm guessing is a number that would transfer to your grinder.

I've been going a little finer. I started out with 20 because that's where the Bunn likes to be, but I've found around 18 to be the best spot for most beans. The Moccamaster can take a finer grind than the Bunn. If to fine the Bunn spills all over and makes a mess.

Which Bunn brewer model do you have? Curious if you have the Bunn VP17-1SS? Is the coffee better in the Moccamaster?

Not sure of the model number. I’ll post a pic.

It’s a toss up on which I like better. If I could only have one I would probably take the Moccamaster.

IMG_1359.jpeg

I use 18 as well with my Encore grinder. Congrats on the new brewer. Looks great. Could not be happier with mine. Wife calls it the Lamborghini of coffee makers when a guest asks about it.

Old Hippie

Somewhere between 61 and dead
Well the old guy finally shuffled off to the great Coffee Bar in the Sky. So I thought about what we used it for -- hot water, mostly -- and did some reading on Bunn's site. I was originally thinking that another tank model would be my choice, but I decided to try the "Heat n Brew" model.

The HB is tankless, but at the same time it's not like a generic drip coffeemaker. The reservoir heats up completely before the water is released. That said it makes a pretty good cuppa. It's noted that the HB is "sensitive" to hard water, which we have. Running some vinegar through it whenever the "clean" icon lights up is easy, and takes less than the gallon of vinegar the tank types take at a go.

Long term results yet to be observed. In the short term it's not quite the bold taste of my favourite steep-n-strain method, but I'll let that settle for a while and see what I think.

O.H.

Top Bottom