What's new

Bunkie board scam?

We just had furniture delivered, the bed has wood slats, they are trying to tell me that two plain uncovered pieces of fiberboard are the bunkie boards to a Simmons Beautyrest.

Sounds like a load of bull. I think those come with the bed and the bunkie boards should have fabric coverings.

It is all so shady that I can't get anyone at Simmions on the phone.

Opinions?

Sounds strange because when I was a kid the bunkie boards were just what you described, covered in fabric. On the flip side as things continue to get cheaper in quality, who knows that might be the new bunkie board.

I've just scanned online for "bunkie board fiberboard" and surprised to find that apparently fiberboard or plywood seems to be the new bunkie board.

What the hay is a bunkie board?

it's basically a thin wooden frame (with cardboard) covered by fabric which lays on a bedframe and the matress goes on top of it.

Thing box spring but w/out the springs. it's only about 1 inch thick.

Hope that helps.

So it's just a piece of wood to begin with. I got ya. We used plywood when I was a kid. We jumped up and down on it (to get to the top bunk where my brother slept) so much it was always broken.

We used plywood when I was a kid.

I get the sinking feeling that the 2 plain 3'x7' pieces of plain fiberboard are the "bunkie boards" that Ashley Furniture sold my wife for $79 each.

An 8'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood is running $32 @ Lowe's. I could cut it for free, sand it for free, I could cover it in fabric for $1 a yard. Hell, I could put padding then cover it and STILL have over $100 in my pocket.

They must just love seeing gullible housewives coming!

I get the sinking feeling that the 2 plain 3'x7' pieces of plain fiberboard are the "bunkie boards" that Ashley Furniture sold my wife for $79 each.

An 8'x4' sheet of 3/4" plywood is running $32 @ Lowe's. I could cut it for free, sand it for free, I could cover it in fabric for $1 a yard. Hell, I could put padding then cover it and STILL have over $100 in my pocket.

:(

Can you take 'em back?

That was one of the things I read earlier was a "bunkie board" is a $60-80 piece if particle board now. Just the sick way things are these days.

That's about the long and short of it. Communication can help with the gullible part.

Phil

I've been around for 46 years, and today is the first time I have heard of such a thing as a "bunkie board".

Reads like you should be trying to call Ashley Furniture and not Simmons, as this doesn't look like something that is provided by the mattress maker.

Yeah, you got ripped off there. Bunkie boards come from the same factory as the mattress and there's actually a little to them. These guys have found a way to make an extra buck and charge the same for particle board as they would the bunkie board without having to pay the manufacturer. I'd be making them take it back and make your own "bunkie board."

I've been around for 46 years, and today is the first time I have heard of such a thing as a "bunkie board".

Reads like you should be trying to call Ashley Furniture and not Simmons, as this doesn't look like something that is provided by the mattress maker.

Still waiting on a return call from Ashley, but the logic is, if the are cheating... Is lying about it out of the question? Simmons doesn't have a dog in it, or if they do they want me to have THEIR product. They can lean on Ashley in a way that I can't.

Yeah, but that's a couple or three hours out of your day measuring and planning, driving around to stores, doing the work. Plus gas. Plus the cost of the stuff you didn't get done while taking care of this. And maybe you already own all the tools you need, but most of us would have to rent or buy a saw, sanding supplies, etc.

You're not paying for just the board, you're paying for someone taking care of all all the work for you.

take em back.express your disgust.go across/down the street to lowes and get some 1x6's and cover them after sanding.i built our box frame support for our new foam matress for about $30 compared to their junk at $130+-

Last edited:
Sounds like a scam... We always used old slats or some 1 by boards, doesn't take much to make a 6 inch cut...

"Scam"? Really?

I thought scam sounded better then rip off. I have seen dealers and distributors charge for things that were part of something before.

When my brother bought his last truck they "sold" him some $75 floormats. Then after he got home and was looking at the window sticker again it listed floormats as "included" he went back to the dealer an they ended up giving him his money back.

When I had my last fridge delivered the delivery guy tried to sell me an in line filter and ice maker hose "Because this model has the ice maker but not the line" It sounded odd but I wasn't going to pay $30 for his line so I told him not to worry about it I would pick one up later. When he opened the freezer door to remove the foam and labels there was a sack with the owners manual and an ice maker line. He said something like "Oh I guess they just started doing that" or something...

The last few bed frames I bought came with metal "boards" to help support the mattress. Something sounds off to me and it would not surprise me if they were charging for something that was included or already paid for.

Top Bottom