What's new

Bullet Journaling

It's about what works best for you.

I don't take word for word note because knowing my lazy self will not go back to the material if it's too lengthy or boring. Taking bullet note makes you process the information and prioritize/highlight what's really important to you. In that process, you are already thinking and applying the material.

Likewise, I draw and make rapidviz on my note whenever is needed. Quick napkin sketch, diagram and free hand draft to make the idea into "live". Drawing out the concept in perspective/3D makes you think in 3D. A lot critical issue can be debugged at sketching stages(fitment, moving part, loading, etc). A lot of kids now a day go straight to the CAD and doesn't process the information at ideation, only the find out their perfectly rendered CAD doesn't work after spending 3 hours on Pro-E.

I have been seeing references to Bullet Journals for a couple years but only briefly looked into them. Most of the illustrations on youtube, pintrest and other sites had way too much artsy flair for me. Looked like a bunch of to do lists and task lists. I already have those. I have been a daytimer user since 1983 and really like the paper trail, but I have not been able to effectively handle the massive amount of information, projects, project management, meetings, marketing, etc.

I tried to convert to the paper process to all electronic schedules, notes and todo lists but was never comfortable with just an electronic setup. Always seemed to be something missing or lost in the process. There was really no organized efficient review process or feedback learning loop.

I had several days off this week and took the time to buy and read Ryder Carroll's book, "The Bullet Journal Method".
There is a hell of a lot more to his system than just todo lists and the methodology he proposes is substantiated by significant research. I now know why I was never comfortable with an electronic process and why my Daytimer Planner alone was not able to work efficiently. You will have to read the book to understand the science behind the method.

I will be starting my Bullet Journal December 1st, and will incorporate the best of my daytimer experience and some benefits of Outlook Calendar and Evernote. That said, it will be a Bullet Journal based method.

Been using a modified bullet journal method for a couple of years, since I saw it online. For me, there is too much unnecessary stuff in the full method, and I'm not the artist (nor do I have the desire to) of some who show their creations on his website. But keeping a monthly running list, followed by a full page per day is essentially what I did back in my Daytimer days, but allows for more flexibility. I generally use up about a half page with appointments and to do list, and then use the rest for notes of various sorts. I don't label a full month of days in case my notes go on to the next page, which happens fairly often.

For appointments, I just out the time, and a brief notes about what, what, and where. I also use an electronic calendar, so I don't worry too much about details. For my task list, I like the idea of "the one thing." So, a circle is the one thing I really want/need to do that day, then three triangles for the next most important tasks, and finally squares for everything else. When completed, I simply fill in the circle, triangle, or square.

Handwriting it all is simply personal preference...I could (and have) use an electronic or online calendar and task list for everything, but it just doesn't feel as good to me as doing it all in writing. Different strokes for different folks...

Greg

The flexibility is the biggest reason it attracted me. I don't have that much going on for most given days, so I didn't need a day/week sort of planner. Just a good monthly overview on a page or two, and the 6 month overview for planning ahead seems to be working pretty perfectly for me. I also noticed if I write down tasks and whatnot I want to get done, I'm way more likely to actually do them compared to typing them into some digital solution.

So this is not about adding a lump of butter to your journal like Bullet Coffee. :001_302:

Is this a bit like the hipster PDA from years ago, also known as GTD with index cards. Where everyday tasks and goals were laid out on index cards. Presumably making them easier to shuffle and to keep a historical record once completed.

I have used it on and off since 2015. One of the biggest upsides of Bullet Journals for me is that I like using my fountain pen and I have very little chance of using it anywhere else, so I keep going back to it. When I have fallen off the wagon is usually because I've gotten lazy in pruning the stuff that is not needed and organizing the stuff that should remain. Digital systems allow for infinite bloat because you can always search through them.

Making a habit of updating the book definitely makes me more focused on the tasks.

Top Bottom