What's new

Bulldog shave soap

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
I recently tried the BullDog Shaving Cream. As mentioned by @Al Bundy it is definitely a brushless cream. I tried using a brush and it didn’t want to lather up at all.

BullDog is a line of products currently under the umbrella of Edgewell Personal Care Products along with Schick, Personna, Jack Black and others. Although the BullDog shaving soap is listed for sale on a few sites, if you go to the BullDog web site, the soap is no longer listed as an active product.

I tried to find an ingredient listing for the BullDog soap, but the only thing I found was that it contains Aloe, Camelina, and Green Tea. Obviously, they are not the primary ingredients. When a manufacturer refuses to list the ingredients in a product, I consider that to be a bad sign.

There are a couple of shaving videos featuring BullDog soap. None of the would entice me to purchase the soap.
Reviews of the BullDog shave cream did not fare any better. BullDog is currently pushing their Shave Gel, sold as a brushless product. If you are shaving with a cartridge razor such as the BullDog razor, it might be OK, but I have never found brushless creams and gels to be as good as a high quality shaving soap.

I tried to find an ingredient listing for the BullDog soap, but the only thing I found was that it contains Aloe, Camelina, and Green Tea. Obviously, they are not the primary ingredients. When a manufacturer refuses to list the ingredients in a product, I consider that to be a bad sign.

Ingredients list from side of product for your perusal.
20200620_150634.jpg

Ingredients list from side of product for your perusal.View attachment 1115458

Thanks.

This is a soap based primarily on palm oil and palm kernel oil. Palm oil contains 44% palmitic acid and only 5% stearic acid. Palm kernel oil contains 48% lauric acid and 16% myristic acid. I have found that higher quality soaps typically contain a significant percentage of stearic acid, whether originating from from animal or vegetable sources. This one does not.

Although I have not used BullDog soap, I have used other soaps based on palm oil and palm kernel oil and have always been disappointing in overall performance. Soaps from The Art of Shaving are pricey, but they are based on these same two oils and produce a disappointing lather and less than satisfactory shave, at least based on my expectations.

I have used many different Bulldog products over the years. Moisturisers and balms are great. Face wash and scrubs are effective and good value. Most of their stuff is made in the UK and they also have a four blade cartridge razor with a bamboo handle. However, their Shave soap is all but useless for me! I too failed to get a decent lather no matter what I tried. Very disappointing.

Top Bottom