What's new

Bulldog cleanup! Now awaiting my first shave!

Finally got around to cleaning up a silver Bulldog I got awhile back. It cleaned up very nicely and now I'm waiting my first shave with it!:001_smile Anyone shave with one of these on a regular basis? Is this the razor for Yalies everywhere?

Last edited:
Sweet puppy! :thumbup1: And a beautiful job of cleaning 'er up. I can't say I shave with mine "regularly", but it hits the rotation once or twice a month I'd guess (then again, I really don't shave with anything regularly :laugh:).

Beautiful job on the cleanup!
I know nothing of these, but was wondering what you meant by the Yale reference.

Isn't the Bulldog the Yale Mascot? I recall some cheer like "Bulldog Bulldog, Rah Rah Rah!". No, not an Ivy league type here.

Something like "Bulldog Bulldog Bow wow wow Eli Yale!" although a reference to the Univ of Georgia might have been just as apt!

Excellent work, Chris! As my previous holy grail acquisition needs have been met (thanks again!), I think the Bulldog may be next on the list. I really like the barber pole handle and I like the way the old type heads shave. But I think I'm going to have to find one at an antique shop. Again, nice work and it looks great!

Hi Chris,

I have one of those that I believe was marketed in Germany. It's a 1919 version, and the what I believe to be original metal box has 'Germany' stamped on the bottom. There's some very old German blades in the holder.

I know you like aggressive razors, since you like using the NEW DELUXE. Sadly, my Bulldoggie has waaaaay to much of a bite for me to use comfortably. Feels like about a solid #10 on the Gillette Dial scale. Yeah I know, the dial only goes up to nine..........heh.

Beautiful razor though, and nice job on the clean up.

Martin

Oh.......did you happen to find that razor a bit light in the head weight? That was something that sorta bugged me, since I had to use pressure in certain places on my face. The NEW DELUXE head was more effective in that it's weight helped things along easier. Heh, I can't use either of those types with any comfort at all.

Last edited:
Hi Martin!

You make a good point. It has a heavy handle but the old type head is disproportionally light compared to the rest of the razor. That is relatively speaking when one compares it to a New Deluxe. The later age Fat Boys and the like seem to have a different balance. I have not shaved with it yet, though. I'll report back when I do!

Chris

CT, please do report back. The Bulldog is a gorgeous razor, I didn't realize however that it was an old type, always thought it was a New Improved with the articulated head. Please let us know how it shaves. I recently lost out on one, it just got too dear for my blood. Did you get your New Deluxe?? Why don't you compare the two. Cheers. Darjeeling

Hi Martin!

You make a good point. It has a heavy handle but the old type head is disproportionally light compared to the rest of the razor. That is relatively speaking when one compares it to a New Deluxe. The later age Fat Boys and the like seem to have a different balance. I have not shaved with it yet, though. I'll report back when I do!

Chris

Chris,

It may take a few strokes for you to adjust your technique if needed, but it won't be a problem. Yeah, the balance is a fair bit different than the New Deluxe. The Bulldog sorta reminds me a little of the Single Ring in that respect. Having a light head on an extremely easy to bite razor adds another variable(pressure)into the mix. It's nothing that can't be dealt with, but it's one more thing to pay attention to.

I'm guessing you'll really enjoy the Bulldog. To me, it's the most aggressive razor I've shaved with, and that includes a lot of other open comb types. The NEW Deluxe(which you like) would be in second place.

I'll also be curious as to your thoughts after use,

Martin

Last edited:
Nice looking razor, Chris. Nice job. I Have a bulldog in my rotation and I like using it. It requires a little more attention than my Old Type ABC or ball end. The weight of the handle does make a difference.

Len

Top Bottom