What's new

Bull Mastiff

After a long vacation I came back to find my Bull Mastiff waiting at the Post Office. My favorite razor right now is my '47 SuperSpeed. But the weight and the replated head combine to create a really fine razor. With a new red pack Personna it has given me two of the best shaves I gotten. I've tried to be objective and not just rationalize the money spent. But this is one fine tool. That it so well made and really nice to look at and to hold only add to it.

I am Jonesin' for a Bull Mastiff really bad!! :angry:
After seeing pics of them online it looks like it would be the ultimate custom razor.
I have a neat solid brass mystery handle on my Old Type but just can't get the idea outta my head that a Bull Mastiff would look even better.
I see lots of them online with NEW heads and one or two with a Tech head but I believe it would perfectly suit the lines of an Old Type Gillette.
It will take all my inner strength not to purchase one after my Christmas spending is over with even though I really don't need to drop fifty smacks on another shave accessory :blink:
Wp

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
The Bull mastiff was the best handle I bought. Combined with the open comb head, it's a different league!

Hi, just passing by and saw this thread so I thought I would show pictures of the beautiful handle that Robert made for me to connect to a vintage Hoffritz head I picked up at an antique store. This Hoffritz head is nothing like the modern Merkur razors as it is shaped differently, is a more aggressive shaver, and has a much, much better plating job. To say that Robert did a fantastic job with this would be a vast understatement as it was far beyond my expectations. All together, this weighs in at a healthy 3.6 oz, and is a simply wonderful razor to shave with. Worth every penny!

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Hi, just passing by and saw this thread so I thought I would show pictures of the beautiful handle that Robert made for me to connect to a vintage Hoffritz head I picked up at an antique store. This Hoffritz head is nothing like the modern Merkur razors as it is shaped differently, is a more aggressive shaver, and has a much, much better plating job. To say that Robert did a fantastic job with this would be a vast understatement as it was far beyond my expectations. All together, this weighs in at a healthy 3.6 oz, and is a simply wonderful razor to shave with. Worth every penny!

Nice pictures and welcome to B&B!

Thanks for sharing!

I am Jonesin' for a Bull Mastiff really bad!! :angry:
After seeing pics of them online it looks like it would be the ultimate custom razor.
I have a neat solid brass mystery handle on my Old Type but just can't get the idea outta my head that a Bull Mastiff would look even better.
I see lots of them online with NEW heads and one or two with a Tech head but I believe it would perfectly suit the lines of an Old Type Gillette.
It will take all my inner strength not to purchase one after my Christmas spending is over with even though I really don't need to drop fifty smacks on another shave accessory :blink:
Wp

Couldn't Resist it!!! I am on the list to get one from the next batch :thumbup1:
My Old Type should be a high-rolla' once this gets here!
Wp

Couldn't Resist it!!! I am on the list to get one from the next batch :thumbup1:
My Old Type should be a high-rolla' once this gets here!
Wp

Bob sells re-plated Old heads by the way, if you want the entire setup to look shiny!! I think they are $20 each. :tongue_sm

I have this custom razor from Bob, with a Tech head (I am also getting a New head from Bob in a few weeks):

proxy.php

I've got a Bull Mastiff with both the old and new style heads. I haven't tried the old-style yet as my son has it on his Merkur handle!I may buy another razor sometime, but it will be a SE or straight as I don't think another DE would come close to this one!

Tracy

Last edited:
Bob sells re-plated Old heads by the way, if you want the entire setup to look shiny!! I think they are $20 each. :tongue_sm

Both my Khaki Set Old Type razor and the head on my 20's Old Type are pretty shiny affairs as they sit :thumbup1: I think they were both polished before I bought them because they shine like new.
Wp

Probably a question only Bob could answer but what was the genesis of the Bull Mastiff handle?

Was it indirectly inspired by the Bulldog models of the olden days?

Either way the BM is a beautiful design....now I just gotta wait to get mine :biggrin1:
Wp

Probably a question only Bob could answer but what was the genesis of the Bull Mastiff handle?

Was it indirectly inspired by the Bulldog models of the olden days?

Either way the BM is a beautiful design....now I just gotta wait to get mine :biggrin1:
Wp

It was a evolution.
Paul in the UK sent me this picture of a old Gillette with the crosshatched barber pole knurling and asked if I could do something similar.
proxy.php

Well I played around and came up with this design.
proxy.php

Then I had a client that wanted a razor with the barber pole handle but the same size as his Progress which was sporting one of my Burl knobs.
proxy.php

Then I had another of my regular customer ask if I could do the handle with a matching metal knob.
Well I made a metal knob and mounted it and it was like wow, this looks like a Bull Dog on steroids.
So I asked myself, "Self" Whats bigger and badder then a Bull Dog and the answer was a "Bull Mastiff.
proxy.php

Last edited:
Top Bottom