What's new

Bull Dog 5 blade cartridge razor

Today I bought a "Bull Dog" 5 blade cartridge razor from Shoppers Drugmart (owned by Presidents Choice aka PC aka Loblaws - I am in Canada). It was a comfortable first shave. When I opened it and was looking at it I noticed something familiar with the head of the handle so I went looking at my other cartridge razor handles and found out its blades fit the Schick Quattro handle (see picture) so there is a 5 blade cartridge that will use the Schick Quattro handle (out of all the cartridge razors the Schick Quattro and Dorco Pace 7 I don't like/is uncomfortable because of the angle of the blades). Are there any other blades that fit the Schick Quattro handle?

IMG_20190302_093716.jpg
IMG_20190302_093727.jpg
IMG_20190302_093746.jpg
IMG_20190302_093750.jpg
IMG_20190302_093942.jpg
IMG_20190302_094335.jpg
IMG_20190302_094353.jpg

Thats interesting that it can use the Quattro carts. I like the bamboo handle but didnt want to get stuck with carts that might be hard to find.

Bull Dog is owned by Edgewell. The GT5 is also known as the Quattro 5 (oxymoron) in Japan. There is also the GT6 and Caliber 5 and 3 that fit the Quattro handle.

GT 5's are widely available as super market and drugstore private label or via subscription websites.

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Why is a handle called a sleeve?

Because it really is a sleeve. I gather from the pictures that the head of the razor and the silver button at the bottom of the handle are connected via a rod or something, so you get the default bamboo sleeve which when connected betwixt the head and the "button" at the bottom ends up being a handle. For $2.50 more you can get different sleeves you might like better.

Personally, I don't care for the default style, so I'd get one of the others as well.

Also that makes it dead easy to repair the bamboo should moisture ever become a problem. It would be easy to coat with lacquer, poly, ca, whatever your finish of choice would be.

Personally, I'd be good with just a nice resin handle. The Gillette cartridge world has a whole slew of aftermarket handles, but the Schick world, not so much.

Now you guys have done it. Reading this prompted me to order a Bulldog razor. They are plentiful on ebay. I also decided I wanted a Bariby handle which I had to order directly from Bulldog. With shipping the handle was nearly as much as the razor. I'm not sure which I'm more anxious for, trying a different handle for the Quatro or trying a 5 blade Quatro.

Mentioned this to a friend who does a lot of wood turning and he wants to see it. He is thinking of a custom cocobolo handle. This lends itself to custom handle making.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Now you guys have done it. Reading this prompted me to order a Bulldog razor. They are plentiful on ebay. I also decided I wanted a Bariby handle which I had to order directly from Bulldog. With shipping the handle was nearly as much as the razor. I'm not sure which I'm more anxious for, trying a different handle for the Quatro or trying a 5 blade Quatro.

Mentioned this to a friend who does a lot of wood turning and he wants to see it. He is thinking of a custom cocobolo handle. This lends itself to custom handle making.
Those would be interesting to see if he does turn some!

It would be great if Edgewell supported the aftermarket as Schick did in the 80's and 90's. As Gillette does now.

proxy.php

Look at ebay. $8.95 for a razor including four cartridges isn't really expensive. Unscrew the fastener at the bottom of the handle, slip off the sleeve, and you have what you need. Simply craft a new handle and slip it over the sleeve then screw the bottom fastener back on.

A correction and a comment.

The $8.95 ebay price includes two cartridges, not four as I noted before.

I received the razor late last week, but don't have the Bilby handle yet. I don't want to try the Bull Dog razor yet, but wanted to see what I thought of the cartridge, so I tried it with a Quatro handle. It's OK, but I like the Quatro better. I also like the Dorco 5 better. It makes a nice change of pace so I will rotate it in once in a while though, with both the Quatro handle and the Bull Dog handle.

A correction and a comment.

The $8.95 ebay price includes two cartridges, not four as I noted before.

I received the razor late last week, but don't have the Bilby handle yet. I don't want to try the Bull Dog razor yet, but wanted to see what I thought of the cartridge, so I tried it with a Quatro handle. It's OK, but I like the Quatro better. I also like the Dorco 5 better. It makes a nice change of pace so I will rotate it in once in a while though, with both the Quatro handle and the Bull Dog handle.
Why do you prefer the Quattro? Have you tried a GT5?

Top Bottom