What's new

Bulgarian Barbasol

Was barbasol producing a lot of razors before carts? I've only seen the floating head before I think few times on the bay

Thanks to @pbrmhl I have a real deal Barbasol Floating Head for comparison.
Bulgarian TPK in the left, Barbasol Floating Head on the right:
IMG_7276.JPG
IMG_7277.JPG
IMG_7278.JPG
IMG_7279.JPG

You can really see the design similarities especially in the top caps and they certainly both "float" the blade but the guard in the TPK drops away more quickly and it is a more aggressive and, for me, better shaver than the Barbasol.

Of course the Barbasol is a much better made and very beautiful object but this comparison also highlights what a great razor the Bulgarian TPK is!

I'm pretty sure I must have one of these with a two-piece travel handle. It came in a lot as something of a bonus because I was actually more interested in a Gem which came in the bundle. I've never taken a picture of it, so I can't post one until I get home in a few days, but I can confirm that it is very aggressive. I've used it a few times and you definitely feel the blade, as well as the "teeth" on the safety bar. It doesn't look very aggressive with the blade loaded, but that's deceptive, because it really is. Gives a great shave, though.

So now here’s a similar razor from behind the Iron Curtain Hungary in the 1950s.
Steel head, aluminium handle with those safety bars dropping away rapidly.
It’s gonna be fierce isn’t it?
29B1B9B6-BC77-4B06-89BD-6F3826F00667.jpeg
36657B15-BC67-4097-B1A7-B46D11216709.jpeg
F3CA8B2D-F69C-4CD8-B589-D0A3ECA92454.jpeg

Dear Marcus, some watch horror movies, personally I find reading one of your threads being much more interesting and stimulating. I'll just go and make some popcorn.:thumbup:

Sometimes sticking to straight razor shaving seems like the least dangerous alternative.

Dear Marcus, some watch horror movies, personally I find reading one of your threads being much more interesting and stimulating. I'll just go and make some popcorn.:thumbup:

Sometimes sticking to straight razor shaving seems like the least dangerous alternative.
Thanks Arne - you know how I love these razors!

And guess what? This ‘50s Hungarian DE is very very aggressive just like the Bulgarian razor in the OP.
And it’s also beautifully smooth.
An extremely efficient and pleasant shave:
28F41940-7CA2-42D9-9322-20BFB1E0CE77.jpeg

I’ve got a few of these very aggressive and very well designed vintage razors now: Matador DeLuxe from Sweden, LeResche Prototype from France and this Hungarian masterpiece too.
In each one the guard bars drop away rapidly and they’ve also all got aluminium handles.
Very smooth, very aggressive and each one gives an extremely long lasting and smart shave.
image.jpg

I am starting to realise that with a legendary blade in them like the Wilkinson Light Brigade that I used yesterday, these DEs can deliver a shave in the same league as my best SE razors and straights.

I have what is (apparently) one of these kinds of razors wending its way to me, for a total of $16, from Bulgaria. (Still closer to the B than to the NC right now no doubt.) As with chongo gordo and CamberwellCarrot, mine is in travel kit form, but it does not have bumps or serrations on the bar.

proxy.php

I have what is (apparently) one of these kinds of razors wending its way to me, for a total of $16, from Bulgaria. (Still closer to the B than to the NC right now no doubt.) As with chongo gordo and CamberwellCarrot, mine is in travel kit form, but it does not have bumps or serrations on the bar.

proxy.php
Super! That one looks like it could be another awesome shaver.
These razors really prove that good design and good manufacture are not the same thing.
Looking forward to the shave report.

Super! That one looks like it could be another awesome shaver.
These razors really prove that good design and good manufacture are not the same thing.
Looking forward to the shave report.

You can say that again! I would add that a razor cheaply made, and with a cheap appearance and feel, and still have serviceably good QC. My 4 or 5 Rapira Platinum Lux razors testify to that.

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I'm glad you enjoy that Hungarian "masterpiece".
Speaking of cheap materials and steep guards, here is another all aluminium Hungarian wonder.
Excuse my fingers, but the threads are totally worn out.
The curvarure of the plate is different so there is an "R41/2011" and a "devette" side.

IMG_3583.JPG IMG_3585.JPG

Adam

R

romsitsa

Hello,

I'll drop you a line if I find one, or you can have this, if you wish to fiddle around with stripped threads.

Adam

Hello,

I'll drop you a line if I find one, or you can have this, if you wish to fiddle around with stripped threads.

Adam
That’s amazingly kind of you!
Could the top cap be replaced by one with intact threads?
Honestly I’d love to try it :)

R

romsitsa

I tried the plate with a Gillette Ball end handle and cap, it fits, but the blade exposure is not the same. Maybe some teflon tape fix the threads.

Adam

Top Bottom