What's new

Bulgarian Barbasol

So I took a chance on this eBay razor that I thought might be a Barbasol.
No it isn't, it's something Bulgarian from the 1970's with quite a similar head design.
I wonder what the shave will be like?
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

It came with a hideous gold tone Soluna style handle but it looks and feels a lot better with something heavier:
proxy.php

proxy.php

So has anybody seen one like this before?

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Cool razor! Bulgaria ended up with a lot of old razors for some reason. You're lucky you got it, the last time I bought one from there it never arrived.

The handle is way off center, it's right at the "lather slot" on the left, and pretty far away from the one on the right. You might want to check that before you shave with it, might be overly aggressive on one side as is.

Spot on Toby, now I see it. Amazing!

I actually have a couple of very similar Bulgarian razors. One standard and one travel. If I can find tomorrow I'll snap a picture.
These razor heads look very similar to the Swing type razor head. Although I have never have seen a serrated type bar
like yours.

Cheers
John

I'd picked up one of these on the auction site, and I agree, the head cap covers the blade tabs much like that of the Barbasol, and it provides a similarly aggressive shave.

In appearance it looks very much like the Fatip Testina Gentile.

View attachment 700261

The handle is way off center, it's right at the "lather slot" on the left, and pretty far away from the one on the right. You might want to check that before you shave with it, might be overly aggressive on one side as is.

Well spotted - thanks for pointing this out.
Turns out it's a problem with the threading on that handle.
The head and pins themselves are symmetrical:
proxy.php

BTW, the same to come equipped with a two-piece travel style handle. The balance on these i way off considering the size of the massive head and cap. I used mine on a fat-handled Tech handle.

Shave this morning with a new Polsilver:
proxy.php

Having read the comments from other people who own this razor and just looking at how the blade sits in the head I already knew this was going to be a fierce shave.

A lot of the Iron Curtain razors are aggressive but also rough so I was preparing for a rocky ride.

But wow! what an excellent shave, very aggressive with lots and lots of blade feel and yet beautifully smooth.
The nice weighty head deserves a good weighty handle to pair it with and this really is a superb shaver.

I just bought this as a novelty but with the right handle it's up there with some of my best DEs.

It also reminded me of a thought which I've been pushing to the back of my mind, that for very aggressive shaving DEs like this give the very best results.

When I first started using a Cobra Classic somebody PM'd me and said how they'd been using a Cobra daily for a year but then they got a 2011 R41 and they sold the Cobra.

So I've had a Cobra and a Mongoose and now a Rocnel SE50 as well as a Feather DX.
For sure they're an incredible amount of fun and blow most other razors out of the water.
Also those GEM/ER SEs and the injectors which give an amazingly smart and supremely comfortable shave every time.

And don't forget the real straights which are simply a delight in every way and a most amazing journey.

But super aggressive DEs which allow steep angle like this one give me the best shave of all in terms of results... and I don't really want to admit that.

Update!
A couple more of these amazing razors have turned up on the bay and the sellers say that these razors come from the TPK "Brotherly Labour" (workers co-operative) steel casting factory in Sandanski.

Top Bottom