What's new

Bulb vs fan shaped brushes - what's the difference?

Learning all the time from this great site...

I've only just realized that brushes come in two basic shapes - fan and bulb. Are there fundamental differences between them in terms of lathering or soap/cream or whatever or is it just the way they look?!

Learning all the time from this great site...

I've only just realized that brushes come in two basic shapes - fan and bulb. Are there fundamental differences between them in terms of lathering or soap/cream or whatever or is it just the way they look?!

One is fan shaped and one is bulb shaped.... :blink: ... I have heard various opinions on this topic. I think its just a personal preference thing.

Very slight differences.
Fan shaped can be better for soaps (more flat surface area to pick up soap), but it also makes the brush "feel" bigger on the face.
A bulb shaped brush can create more backbone in an otherwise floppy brush.

The short answer is that they are both good, it's just personal preference.

(my personal preference is bulb-shaped. looks better, I think)

IMHO

I love fan shaped brushes. I believe a shorter lofted fan shaped is great for sculpting and pinpoint lather placement.

Bulb shaped can have a higher loft and still remain firm.

My name is Phil and I mainly use soaps and face lather.

The fan shaped brushes are sometimes referred to as the 'English' style of knot. If you look at the brushes manufactured on the continent, they usually have pronounced bulb shaped knots. Plissons are all like that. The most pronounced seems to be HL Thater; they're extremely bulbous and, as mentioned (and I agree) look quite striking. Perhaps at the expense of performance somewhat. Simpsons brushes used to be fan-shaped (no to the extent of Charels Roberts purpose built brushes), but have changed under Vulfixes ownership. I think the best shape for function is how Rooney knots are; fan but with a slight bulb to them.

I have both shapes, enjoy both, but prefer the fan. I mostly face lather, and the fan is exceptional with soaps.

-- John Gehman

Top Bottom