What's new

Built a double sided Method paddle

I remade one of Slash's The Method pasted balsa. On a sheet of glass is glued balsa, lapped flat and then impregnated with a small amount of .1u diamond paste.

I've been using diamond pasted balsa for over a year. I maintain some razors on it and it works well. The glass backing plate on this one too wide and is also uncomfortably thin, so I decided to experiment with it.

I wanted to make something that travels easy. That would also incorporate the leather strop.

Gluing an old leather strop on the back would do it.

I find hanging strops to be better than paddles, as the bit of give in a hanging strop allows the tip of the tip of the razor to sink down and be burnished.

To try to account for that, I made the back side of the paddle both soft and convex. I used foam sheet for this.

The photos below show me spraying glue on the back of the glass. Then from a thin sheet of foam I cut out an oval and glued that on. This oval will be the "hill" that induces convexity.

Then I glued a full rectangle of foam over that, to completely cover the glass.

Now I have something soft so the edge will sink into it, a bit like a hanging strop.

And the tiny "hill" of foam under the full layer of foam creates a bit of permanent convexity, which will also help a bit.

Then I glued a very thin layer of suede leather over everything. The eventual stropping leather will only cover half of the glass, so I wanted it all covered and with a grippy surface.

I'm also building up the thickness. The glass was nice and flat, but too thin. I always had to be careful not to nick my fingertips when holding it. Now it's thick and that's better.

Then finally I took an old strop that I had nicked up, and sacrificed that. I glued it on and trimmed it back.

Stropped forty times on the pasted balsa side, wiped the razor clean just in case any diamond particles had come off (unlikely) then flipped it over and stropped forty times on the leather.

It shaved fine. The softness and convexity made it feel almost as good as a hanging strop.

And folded in with my clothes, it will travel easy.

upload_2019-1-6_10-0-20.png
upload_2019-1-6_10-0-37.png
upload_2019-1-6_10-0-50.png
upload_2019-1-6_10-1-2.png
upload_2019-1-6_10-1-13.png
upload_2019-1-6_10-1-25.png

Last edited:
My other method of maintaining my razors is on a convex nani12 every saturday morning. But I'm not going to glue leather to the back of that. The water needed for the nani would be bad for the leather. I'll just use my hanging strop to go along with the convex nani.

But the pasted balsa never gets water, so the leather backing should work with that.

The third regime I plan to try is a Saturday morning ten laps honing on a .1u film glued down on a 3/4 inch acrylic base. .1u film didn't exist when Slash was building his Method.

I'm even wondering if the .1u film is going to be used with the frequency of The Method, then maybe it should be used like The Method. Spine leading stropping, and frequently.

The fun in this hobby is experimenting and making it your own, that's for sure.

Top Bottom