What's new

Building myself up to using a straight razor

So now that I've been (successfully) DE shaving for a good 8 months now, I notice that in certain areas It's still a bit of a struggle to mow through the hair due to how extremely coarse it is. The only razors where this has been less of an issue are my slants. So with that said, I've been intrigued by the idea of trying a straight razor and while doing some reading and watching videos I found this one by 'Distorted Cheese' which seems really good.
Are there any other recommendations for videos?

The ones that helped me most were from Geofatboy over at shavenation.com, you can also find his videos in youtube, he has videos of several straights, shavettes, DE, you name it, he has tried all.

I’d not watch too many, just enough to give you an idea of what to do. It’s better just to get started and figure out what works for you.

The basics are to:

- Keep a shallow angle. The spine of the razor should remain about 2 spine lengths or less off of your face, any steeper and you’re asking for trouble.

- Make your lather a little wetter/slicker than you’re used to having with your DE.

- Use your off hand to help stretch the skin to flatten surfaces and give the edge less opportunity to dig into your face.

- Light touch, fluid strokes. Don’t be afraid to stop a stroke and restart if it feels off.

Are there any other recommendations for videos?

This one's not so bad. :D :D :D

As for starting with straight, I was in the same boat not quite a year ago, and honestly, I only have this advice: Read a lot, ask for advice when in doubt, and start playing with it - folks on straight razor forum are incredible, helpful, encouraging and most important, knowledgeable.

I personally found it a lot easier than I thought it would be, I was reluctant for years, but once you start, it'll be fun experience. I tried describing my first few shaves in this thread, if you have time, take a look, nothing spectacular, but... could help perhaps.

Go for it. I stared at that scary Feather SS sitting on my bathroom counter for about a year before I finally bucked up, and wished I had started long ago. The learning curve is steep but relatively harmless. Think of an angry nun in Catholic School looking to wrap you over the knuckles with a yardstick (or whatever that stereotypical image is)... Makes you sit up and pay attention for sure, but I have no permanent scars, and don't expect any.

Most don't recommend shavettes to start with, but I am glad that's what I did. I have a number of straight razors, but my favorite so far is the Japanese style Feather DX.

Main thing is to get that first shave out of the way. It really was eye opening, and awesome.

Good luck!

Oh, I'm not new to the forums by any means. Just new to the idea of using straights. I think I've been around for about 10 years at least. Haha.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Recommend going to the straight shaving forums - lots of info and assistance and advice on getting your first razor. Also, recommendations for a honemeister. The video recommends buying stones. I recommend not buying stones. There is a better way which has come to be known as "The Method". The Method makes use of lapping film in lieu of stones and it is many many times cheaper. After the lapping film comes the diamond pasted balsa to finish with an incredibly sharp edge. Aside from the expense, the learning curve is hugely more shallow than stones - fewer variables to deal with. This is something you can accomplish in a week or two and there is excellent instruction. In the subforum under the Straight Razor forum you will find a thread by @Slash McCoy titled "Newbie Honing Compendium". Read this. There is also a thread about Pasted Balsa Strops there. You can always go to stones later if you wish and have a leg up on that process as you will not have a big investment in The Method. The reverse is not true. One more thing, I recommend against starting with a shavette. A regular straight razor is safer, more forgiving and easier to use. Shavettes are great for traveling and such once you know what you are doing. While it goes against conventional thought, a straight razor is easier on your face than a DE. By all means, go for it and come hang out in the Straight Razor forum, you will be most welcome there.

Recommend going to the straight shaving forums - lots of info and assistance and advice on getting your first razor. Also, recommendations for a honemeister. The video recommends buying stones. I recommend not buying stones. There is a better way which has come to be known as "The Method". The Method makes use of lapping film in lieu of stones and it is many many times cheaper. After the lapping film comes the diamond pasted balsa to finish with an incredibly sharp edge. Aside from the expense, the learning curve is hugely more shallow than stones - fewer variables to deal with. This is something you can accomplish in a week or two and there is excellent instruction. In the subforum under the Straight Razor forum you will find a thread by @Slash McCoy titled "Newbie Honing Compendium". Read this. There is also a thread about Pasted Balsa Strops there. You can always go to stones later if you wish and have a leg up on that process as you will not have a big investment in The Method. The reverse is not true. One more thing, I recommend against starting with a shavette. A regular straight razor is safer, more forgiving and easier to use. Shavettes are great for traveling and such once you know what you are doing. While it goes against conventional thought, a straight razor is easier on your face than a DE. By all means, go for it and come hang out in the Straight Razor forum, you will be most welcome there.

Well DAM!!! If i've never seen a welcome mat before, I most definitely have now. lol
Much appreciated. As always, this forum is great for finding out good info.

Mods, feel free to delete this post. :)

Top Bottom