What's new

Building my shave den

I need some great slick soaps to add to my den and help decide if I want a merkur 34c or the merkur futur

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty cheap stuff I'm new to wet shaving but right now I'm using an omega boar brush with the omega soap(which isn't slick) and a van der Hagen razor with a personna blade

I use the prorasso soap often it is easy to find and good. I find the Tobac soap nice and slick and easy lather. I have never used a futur. However I really like my 34c. I may go off and try many different razors however I always come back to my 34c. Fehndrihan MK II is an all stainless razor. Very cheap efficient and smooth! Can't go wrong there either IMHO.

I may be getting both in the future but I'm just wondering which one I should get first and to find a variety of slick soaps

Slick soaps that I am familiar with would include Stirling, Mickey Lee, Barrister and Mann, Catie's bubbles, Saponificio Varesino, Wyckham, Tiki Bar (sadly no longer available), Le Perl Lucien, and even the lowly Arko. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to name a soap that I've tried that isn't slick (I'm sure that there are a couple, but I can't think of them at the moment).

Look for ones that offer samples and give a few a try. I know Stirling offers awesome sized samples of their soaps for cheap, their samples will last a month or 2 used every day. West shaving offers sample packs of the different brands that they sell. I am sure there are others but that are the 2 I know for sure that offer samples so you can try more stuff for less money. Then once you find stuff you like then get full size containers.

Sent from my Moto E (4) using Tapatalk

Slick soaps that I am familiar with would include Stirling, Mickey Lee, Barrister and Mann, Catie's bubbles, Saponificio Varesino, Wyckham, Tiki Bar (sadly no longer available), Le Perl Lucien, and even the lowly Arko. In fact, I'd be hard pressed to name a soap that I've tried that isn't slick (I'm sure that there are a couple, but I can't think of them at the moment).
I get like no slickness from arko. Could be my über hard water though i reckon.

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

I somehow doubt that there is anything wrong with your current Omega soap/cream. Try adding some more water to your lather and see if that improves its performance. Aim for something the consistency of yoghurt and not of whipped cream.

Between those two razors, I would suggest the 34C. The Futur has its fans, but the 34C is widely regarded as a quality piece of kit and you should be able to use it for many years to come.

To add quality soaps, look at Czech & Speake, Palmolive, Tabac, DR Harris, Haslinger and Speick.

Lots of great soaps out there. I favor Mike's Natural Soaps, Fine Accoutrements, and Cold River Soapworks. I've never heard anyone with a 34C complain about it; cannot say the same for a Futur. Enjoy your shaves! :thumbup1:

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
I somehow doubt that there is anything wrong with your current Omega soap/cream. Try adding some more water to your lather and see if that improves its performance. Aim for something the consistency of yoghurt and not of whipped cream.

Between those two razors, I would suggest the 34C. The Futur has its fans, but the 34C is widely regarded as a quality piece of kit and you should be able to use it for many years to come.

To add quality soaps, look at Czech & Speake, Palmolive, Tabac, DR Harris, Haslinger and Speick.
This!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Definitely get the 34c. It's a must in any shave den. As for the Futur, it's very aggressive (even at setting 1) and I wouldn't recommend it to someone who's starting out.

For slick soap, my favorites are Stirling (get several samples) and Mitchell's Wool Fat. Both also have great post shave feel.

The 34C is a terrific razor IMO. In terms of soaps, I am a big fan of Haslinger's options and MWF which are excellent for me.

I have both razors they were my go to razors for the first 8 months or so. I honestly like the futur just a smidge more only because of its adjustability on the fly. They are both excellent razors and you cannot go wrong with either. If I were you though I'd grab a futur clone off Ebay and get a real Merkur 34C. This way you can have both. The futur clones are so extremely close in quality and shave performance to real thing it's a no brainer. Just keep the futur dialed down at first until you get the feel for it. Grab yourself some Arko soap in a bowl too. It's a great starter soap and cheap to boot.

34c is a great starter and travel / beater razor. Pretty sturdy and provides a nice shave. Regarding soap, take a look at some of our B&B vendors, they have many excellent offerings!

How do you guys like the soap pre de Provence number 63?

PdP 63 is among my favorites. It's a very hard soap so it will last you a long time. It's got a nice fragrance, and creates a very nice lather.

PdP 63 is among my favorites. It's a very hard soap so it will last you a long time. It's got a nice fragrance, and creates a very nice lather.
It smells so dang luxurious I'm scared to use mine... Need to order a second one so I'll have the testicular fortitude to use the first one...

Sent from my Z963VL using Tapatalk

Top Bottom