What's new

Building kit for 14 year old.

My 14 year old has been having me assist with his mustache. I have had my old Webber stainless on the counter this year so that's what he's been using. I think Christmas this year, is time for Jr. to get his own rig.
He'll turn his nose up at used hardware so... I need a mild / medium, inexpensive < $50 DE. I own a Webber, Red Tip, EJ, Gillette OC and a Mercur so, perhaps something different? How are the Gamechangers and such?

I am already planning on a neutral or youthful smelling soap like a Haslinger Honey, green Proraso, or a citrus something like the Taylor of Bond Grapefruit.

A cheap lather mug, styptic pencil, Nivea balm, and a little Semogue boar brush. I already own every blade known to man so no worries there.

I think I just need the most help with DE razor ideas. 3 pc. stainless or... what else is good these days?

Game Changers might be the best bang for your buck on the market. Hard to beat the quality and for the money you won't beat the quality. It is definitely a lifetime long razor. You can't go wrong there. Highly recommended. It would be a good choice.

Thinking back to the 14 year old me. I would have preferred something like the Razorock Gamechanger than the EJ/Muhle DE89/R89. Something about the solidness, feel. heft of the stainless steel. I don't know how to explain, it feels more tool-like. Plus Razorock's handle knurling blows the EJ/Muhle away. It's a small detail I'd enjoy.

I would normally recommend a vintage Gillette Tech but you say he'd want something new. The new Wilkinson TTO model is a nice mild razor and can be found at any pharmacy for $20 or less. Being a butterfly design it's easy to load. It comes with blades too. It's what I started with. Pick up a tub of Proraso soap and a brush and you're all set. :thumbsup:

An Edwin Jagger Kelvin is around $25. Combined with a Semogue 1470 or 1250, Haslinger Honey or Aloe Vera soap and Astra SS blades would make a low cost kit with good quality.

1663855528458.png
1663855705208.png

Last edited:
Agree with the Razorock Gamechanger choice. It just depends what kind would you think would work best for him .68 .84. I am assuming you are going solid bar. Another one from Razorock to look at would be the .58 Lupo razor or others in that range.

While you are at it maybe you can pick up a soap from italian barber on sale too. One of those soap/aftershave combo's when they go on sale. Acqua is something I am sure he will enjoy.
I'd also say that perhaps either of those razors coupled with the Barberpole or bulldog handle is a good choice to go with also.

The Baili BD176 is hard to beat for a new shaver and Amazon has it right now for $10.00. Had the Baili been my first razor I may have never purchased another DE. it is very mild and is good quality for plated zamak and it comes in a small travel case.

The Game Changers are wonderful too and they will last lifetimes. I love mine and shave with it often. I will say that I am always super impressed when I put that Baili in my rotation.

For the same price as a Game Changer you could go with the Rockwell 6c. He would have a lot of adjustability with that setup. I still think you could not go wrong with that Baili and you can even find it plated in Rose Gold for like $2.00 more.

Being young shinny and color might be more up his alley. So a rose gold de from baili might be a good choice.

JMO and its low cost.
I agree, though personally, am not a fan of rose gold. Aren't there some cool looking aluminum razors out now that come in different colors? I could mix and match top cap, plate & bar.

Wow,I don't think that I even had peach fuzz at 14! :crying:

He may like an adjustable. That way he could start out on a mild setting, and adjust from there. If so, you can buy a Qshave on Amazon for around 15 bucks.

I'll throw in another rec for a gamechanger, but I think it's over that $50 budget. If he actually enjoys shaving, other GC baseplates might be good birthday gifts down the line.

They make the razorock lupo in anodized aluminum black, green or yellow gold that could be fun for your boy. I almost had the gold colored one that I ordered from Pastuer's but a mailbox theive stole the box before I could get it.

Rockwell 6C
So he can finetune and experience mild, medium and agresive options.
His beard will only get stronger and stronger

Wow,I don't think that I even had peach fuzz at 14! :crying:

He may like an adjustable. That way he could start out on a mild setting, and adjust from there. If so, you can buy a Qshave on Amazon for around 15 bucks.

Sorry, but please don't buy him a Qshave (if we're talking about the Futur clone here). I almost had to go on iron supplements. I think it's a nice design and they even have a modern black version, but the blade support isn't great, it's a bit chattery and seasoned wet shavers agree that it's aggressive even on the lower settings. The issue could be quality control because there are a lot of complaints about blade alignment as well, but either way, I think it's not an optimal razor for beginners.

About color: Rose gold is the quintessential Millennial color for women where I live because it's considered a peachy pink. In the past decade, it's become nauseatingly popular for weddings, baby showers, make-up brushes, hair straighteners, jewellery, high heels, gratitude journals, fitness watches and even iPhones. Why? In 2015, market research showed that young women would basically buy anything as long as it's rose gold, so it became the #1 color brands think of when they want to sell a product -any product- to women. Gillette Venus has, incidentally, finally produced a metal handle for women's cartridges and it's available in drug stores everywhere, right now. The color, you ask? Yeah, you guessed it. Everything is rose gold. I can't wait for this trend to finally be over. Now I don't know if 'rose gold' and 'girly' are quite as synonymous in different regions or if this should even be an issue. After all, it's just gold mixed with copper and a hint of silver, 'rose gold' has been around forever and there used to be nothing gender-y about it. But marketing leads to a certain feel and association with color. Kids could be sensitive to that sort of thing. If only the girls in his class have rose gold phones and rose gold stuff, he could associate rose gold with girly too and he might not necessarily like that in a razor. Better to play it safe and give something in a color you know he likes. (And if he happens to like rose gold, by all means, pick that color.)

Most of what I shave is peach fuzz, and I second that a vintage Tech is close to perfect, but that's old, so that's out. I also think the Henson razors have a spectacular design, but they're probably a little too far outside the price range. A Rockwell 6 is versatile, can be had for roughly 50 dollars (not stainless steel though) and is often recommended for beginners. Also: it comes in gunmetal chrome. Very cool. Very shiny under the Christmas tree. Not at all like the used old-timey stuff.

In the end: you know your son. Just give him something you think he'd like. I think it's a great idea for a present and it's so nice you're taking the time to assemble a good kit. I'm sure he'll appreciate such a thoughtful gift. Good luck with the shopping!

Top Bottom