What's new

Building cake/seasoning or damaging a pipe?

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So I tend to struggle to have a complete burn all the way to the bottom of my pipe. Flavors become muddles, heat management goes south, and the smoke is usually unenjoyable. I sometimes think im at the bottom, but when im cleaning out the ash, a nice little plug of tobacco comes out. This means im not really breaking in the pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I recently listened to a podcast where there was discussion if burning all the way down is actually even beneficial in the long run. They mentioned, just as I had, that its better to just stop the smoke when its no longer enjoyable and that there isnt any consequence of not completely breaking in the bowl.

i know with cigars, I dont care the cost of the cigar, if flavors arent there it gets tossed. There is no sense in nubbing a cigar that has burnt or harsh smoke for the sake of finishing the cigar. Smoking not only is for the relaxation of the activity, but also for enjoying the flavors of the tobacco.

I would like to open the discussion on this, and see if im actually causing any detrement to my pipes.

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have a Savinelli 611, purchased new in 1993/94. Smoked it regularly and the very bottom still only a dark brown. I never have been able to smoke a bowl to complete ash. Always thought I was just a bad smoker (and I may be) but that article was edifying.

(I also wipe out the bowl after each smoke, so the cake on my pipes is minimal)

Last edited:

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
When the planets align I find my pipe hard to relights. When I go go knock out the dottle there is nothing but ash.
I don’t worry anymore about cake in the heel. 90% of the time my dottle is damp anyways, so it protects the wood from burning.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
You could put less tobacco in the bowl. I do this. I have to be a bit more careful lighting the bowl.

Burning a bowl to complete ash is, for me, also partially dependent on the tobacco. Some tobaccos seem to burn pretty darn easy . . . for me Haddos and Sir Walter Raleigh for instance.

For me there are several factors. The pipe itself and the tobacco I'm smoking. I have a couple of pipes that whatever I do, just don't burn the dottle to ash, which is fine because the bottom of the bowl still looks brand new. Then I have other pipes that burn every last strand to ash and they have formed a nice cake. Ten Russians for instance is a tobacco I almost always get all ash from, but Squadron Leader is one that I almost always have some dottle left over.

I've learned that when I get to the bottom of the bowl, I give it one last good relight. After that it either goes out because all of the tobacco has been spent or because it just doesn't want to be smoked any longer. Continuing to light after this point almost always results in an unpleasant smoke, so I dump it.

As you said, it's all about the relaxation and taste, so why ruin a good smoke by lighting up unpleasant leftovers?

I
For me there are several factors. The pipe itself and the tobacco I'm smoking. I have a couple of pipes that whatever I do, just don't burn the dottle to ash, which is fine because the bottom of the bowl still looks brand new. Then I have other pipes that burn every last strand to ash and they have formed a nice cake. Ten Russians for instance is a tobacco I almost always get all ash from, but Squadron Leader is one that I almost always have some dottle left over.

I've learned that when I get to the bottom of the bowl, I give it one last good relight. After that it either goes out because all of the tobacco has been spent or because it just doesn't want to be smoked any longer. Continuing to light after this point almost always results in an unpleasant smoke, so I dump it.

As you said, it's all about the relaxation and taste, so why ruin a good smoke by lighting up unpleasant leftovers?

I do the same. One or two more attempts and that's it.

I should also add that trying to force the last bit of tobacco/dottle to burn when it is not cooperating is a great way to char the airway in your pipe.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I have smoked to the bottom completely maybe twice in my life, and received some ash in the mouth for my troubles. I don't sweat it, and I keep very little cake to begin with. IMO, if you need cake to keep the bowl a little cooler, you are smoking too fast, or your tobacco is too wet. The cost of that tiny little bit of unsmoked tobacco is not worth the possible bad ending to a good pipe session.

Pipe tobacco is cheap compared to the pipe. Smoke it still it isn't enjoyable and dump it out. You won't force the last third of a cigar that doesn't want to work, why force the last tenth of a pipe?

If you have read any of Chuck Station’s articles on SP you will find that he recently underwent an epiphany regarding smoking to the bottom. He used to struggle with it as many of us have including myself.

When the tobacco is ready to stop being smoked, it will stop and be a labor to relight. So...stop. The plug will vex you with being hard to light,the taste will drop off, and the peace and relaxation of pipe smoking will become frustrating thereby negating the reason for pipesmoking to begin with.

As for the bottom of the pipe curing, I have heard many a pipe maker say that the bottom of the pipe will take care of itself.

So the take away is this: smoke and enjoy. Keep your pipes clean and your tobacco in smoking condition, however you prefer it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
As of late, I have been having a problem with just about all of my pipes. They all start tasting bad about half way down the bowl. I have been tossing good tobacco, because it tastes too bad to finish and I don't understand why?

I always take a paper towel to the inside of the bowl and a cleaner to the shank and stem after every smoke no matter what pipe. I also, will clean the inside bowl, shank and stem with ever clear on the occasion to keep them smoking sweet.

I'm confused as what to do. I don't have very many pipes, but the ones I do, including the Missouri Meerschaums have all been having this problem of tasting bad half way down the bowl.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
As of late, I have been having a problem with just about all of my pipes. They all start tasting bad about half way down the bowl. I have been tossing good tobacco, because it tastes too bad to finish and I don't understand why?

I always take a paper towel to the inside of the bowl and a cleaner to the shank and stem after every smoke no matter what pipe. I also, will clean the inside bowl, shank and stem with ever clear on the occasion to keep them smoking sweet.

I'm confused as what to do. I don't have very many pipes, but the ones I do, including the Missouri Meerschaums have all been having this problem of tasting bad half way down the bowl.

Maybe your taster is a bit off? Starting to get the time for a change of seasons.

I burnt a bowl of Royal Yacht the other day and it didn't quite float my boat for some reason.

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member

Has your technique changed at all? Pay attention to how you're smoking the next time. You might be puffing too hard or fast.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Has your technique changed at all? Pay attention to how you're smoking the next time. You might be puffing too hard or fast.

I really don't think it's that with Rob, Erik. He's been piping for awhile. He may just be having a "spell" like we all do sometimes.

So I tend to struggle to have a complete burn all the way to the bottom of my pipe. Flavors become muddles, heat management goes south, and the smoke is usually unenjoyable. I sometimes think im at the bottom, but when im cleaning out the ash, a nice little plug of tobacco comes out. This means im not really breaking in the pipe all the way to the bottom of the bowl.

I recently listened to a podcast where there was discussion if burning all the way down is actually even beneficial in the long run. They mentioned, just as I had, that its better to just stop the smoke when its no longer enjoyable and that there isnt any consequence of not completely breaking in the bowl.

i know with cigars, I dont care the cost of the cigar, if flavors arent there it gets tossed. There is no sense in nubbing a cigar that has burnt or harsh smoke for the sake of finishing the cigar. Smoking not only is for the relaxation of the activity, but also for enjoying the flavors of the tobacco.

I would like to open the discussion on this, and see if im actually causing any detrement to my pipes.

But back to the original question.

I'm in the "I don't worry about it, the bottom of the bowl will take care of itself" camp. With a new pipe I just load it up and smoke it. And keep smoking it.

I usually get a plug of unburnt tobacco out of any of mine when I dump the bowl. I do believe it's called dottle.

OkieStubble

I do actually like to puff a little faster then most, but that's why I use filtered pipes. But I'm definitely not choo choo training it and have been smoking a pipe for a few years now, and know what cadence I need to keep it from smoking hot. The bad taste isn't the noticeable acrid taste of a hot gurgling pipe, it's more like a old and cold dirty ashtray type of taste.

But I have no clue, so I am appreciative of any advice I can get.

Last edited:
I do actually like to puff a little faster then most, but that's why I use filtered pipes. But I'm definitely not choo choo training it and have been smoking a pipe for a few years now, and know what cadence I need to keep it from smoking hot. The bad taste isn't the noticeable acrid taste of a hot gurgling pipe, it's more like a old and cold dirty ashtray type of taste.

Maybe dedicating particular pipes to a single blend (or type of blend) will help. ??

OkieStubble

Maybe dedicating particular pipes to a single blend (or type of blend) will help. ??

That's an idea, because I do tend to just smoke whatever in whatever. And usually, the old school guys with just one pipe, probably only smoked just one tobacco?

OkieStubble

That's an idea, because I do tend to just smoke whatever in whatever. And usually, the old school guys with just one pipe, probably only smoked just one tobacco? I'm telling ya, these first world problems are frustrating me. :)

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose

What types of filters do you use and how often do you change them? Just thinking that might contribute to the ash tray taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OkieStubble

What types of filters do you use and how often do you change them? Just thinking that might contribute to the ash tray taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Medico in the Missouri Meerschaums and usually, Sanders carbon in the 9mm's. I religiously toss the filters after every smoke and never use the same filter twice. I actually don't see how someone could use them more than once as they are always wet and very ugly when I pull them out afterwards.

I actually was reading a post of yours sometime ago about the natural meerschaum filters in 9mm with the white elephant on the brown box? I just got 3 or 4 big boxes of those in the mail a couple of days ago, but have yet to try them out.

I will say, Of the small group of pipes I possess, 1 is a unfiltered Strambach Meerschaum, 2 are 9mm filtered, 2 MM cobs and 1 MM hardwood. and lastly a vintage Medico briar that takes it's filter. I have a Savinelli series III unfiltered, and enjoy it with the Meerschaum.

But even these two unfiltered's are starting to have the same dirty ashtray taste as the filtered ones always bout halfway down the bowl. It's weird, because I have been piping now, for going on 3 years and after the first 6 months of learning and adjusting, I thought I had it down until this.

I'd be okay if it was just wet dottle, but I am consistently dumping half bowls of tobacco out now, regardless of the name of the pipe or the tobacco. I thought maybe I'm loading the bowls wrong again or something. I usually, just gravity fill the bowl, and then lightly pack it down with my thumb, until I see the tobacco gently spring back, so as not to over tightly pack it, or leave it too loose.

Top Bottom