What's new

Building a shave shelf - looking for input

@Canadian Mountain Man I hope I didn’t offend with the “tacky” comment on the red, white and blue. I should have said that I thought it would take away from the Mission styling.

Having something you built yourself does make it extra special though. But those ghosts shelves on a mirror would be kinda wicked, just sayin’ :001_rolle

So after a couple of cardboard prototypes and holding wood shelves against the mirror decided I didn't like the look and went in a different direction.

Looked around and decided I liked the look of this shelf
proxy.php

Not the best pics but believe you'll get the idea of what the finished product looks like. Lots of real estate for razors and brushes
proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

And important for my OCD, when I look at it from the throne its all level
proxy.php

Attaching the metal brackets that the shelves attach to was a little tricky and was some trial & error before I found an epoxy that worked.

That is nice indeed! I’m curious how you put the shelves up against the mirror? Did you have to drill holes for the screws to mount into the wall behind the mirror?

Very modern! Looks good.
Very nice!
thank you

Stunning and effectively doubled your entire inventory !!
Thank you & lol, yes :) Its a good thing I usually shave in the evening since being groggy in the AM I might just try & grab a phantom brush/razor.

Hmmmm. Not sure I would trust it to stay. Of course I haven’t used epoxy much so my concern is probably unfounded. I love how it looks. It’s actually quite spectacular.
Thank you. Yup, JB Weld Epoxy
proxy.php

I tested it on a piece of glass first and learned a few things. It reached its full cure in 24 hours not the 1 hour as listed on the package. At 1 hour if I applied a load the adhesion would fail.

If you look at my drawing of the wall bracket the black border on the front profile is a convex lip that runs the perimeter which is about 1/8" in width and 1/8" proud of the wall surface.
proxy.php

I had cleaned the mirror and bracket with acetone. For the epoxy after I marked the center point on the mirror with a sharpie I'd mix up a small amount enough for one bracket. Dipped the back of the bracket into the epoxy then pressed it onto the mirror. After it had set for an hour I mixed up a bit more epoxy and used an x-acto blade to trowel it between the side lip & mirror. Not sure if that last step did anything but more glue has to be more better....right?

With the test run I loaded it with 40lb on one bracket & it held fine for a week. So hoping the shelf doesn't fail....if it does will probably be at 3am an scare the poop out of me.

Is this gonna fix that issue, or is additional therapy needed? :)
I think its fixed. Its level so thats not going to bug me anymore. And couldn't really go with shelves any wider. So yes I'm happy :) for now

Very nice!

I'm guessing you don't have kids or cats in the house:001_smile
Thank you.

LOL, no kids. Last time would have been ~10 years ago when a friend brought his two over to watch the Grey Cup. I do have a cat through but she's shown absolutely zero interest in the shaving stuff including the brushes; she does however like to shred paper & cardboard (and leather furniture :a31:)

Been about a month & a half with the new shelf and I'm very pleased. The epoxy seems to be holding solid and even took a few good bumps with no sign of failure. Happy with the size & spacing; lots of real estate but doesn't IMO look cluttered. Only thing that was a bit annoying was to keep everything perfectly lined up. A strip of brushed aluminum angle trim placed on the front edge of the glass shelf worked out well to solve that problem

proxy.php

Been about a month & a half with the new shelf and I'm very pleased. The epoxy seems to be holding solid and even took a few good bumps with no sign of failure. Happy with the size & spacing; lots of real estate but doesn't IMO look cluttered. Only thing that was a bit annoying was to keep everything perfectly lined up. A strip of brushed aluminum angle trim placed on the front edge of the glass shelf worked out well to solve that problem

proxy.php

What’s this...razor segregation? Clearly the TTOs are top shelf society while the struggling 3-piece working class toil on the bottom?

488E91C7-6697-42DD-89CC-F10BEE29435F.gif

Looks great! Where’s the soaps and brushes? Will they get their own space?

Top Bottom