What's new

Build a Brush

Have any of you taken advantage of Maggard's Build a Brush? I did. I think it turned out pretty good.

1660125414302.png

I wanted to try my hand at it before launching out into something more expensive. It was very inexpensive, too. It was less than $20. They sent the handle and knot, both of my choosing, along with the silicone. I think some instructions were supposed to come along with them but they didn't make it into the box. It didn't matter. I put some of the silicone in the bottom of the hole and shoved the knot in all the way, hard, to make sure it seated. I twisted it a bit to get the glue even. That was it. Oh, and I tied the hair up with a rubber band to keep it out of the way.

I got a good looking handle and a 26mm Tuxedo knot, along with a packet of silicone adhesive, in the box.

I have another one coming from AP Shave. Fun stuff!

This was the test, for me, to see how hard it would be to build my own brush. Now I have more confidence. I will order a handle from some place and then order a very good knot from elsewhere.

1660227982541.png

So, the new brush does not have much backbone. I think it is simply a black and white knot like Maggard says and not a Tuxedo knot. It does make a lot of lather, though, and it is very soft. This is after the first face lather.

AP Shave has a similar program. I found it better to shop the scratch and dent sale for a handle and then get a better knot for around the same money.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
View attachment 1503056

So, the new brush does not have much backbone. I think it is simply a black and white knot like Maggard says and not a Tuxedo knot. It does make a lot of lather, though, and it is very soft. This is after the first face lather.

AP Shave has a similar program. I found it better to shop the scratch and dent sale for a handle and then get a better knot for around the same money.
You should not expect too much backbone, the loft in the initial picture is pretty high, so a higher loft gives less back bone. If you set it in silicone, you may want to set the knot a few millimeter deeper.

You should not expect too much backbone, the loft in the initial picture is pretty high, so a higher loft gives less back bone. If you set it in silicone, you may want to set the knot a few millimeter deeper.
Thanks! Actually, the knot is all the way to the bottom of the hole in the handle. I can't set it any deeper. It didn't cost much, anyway. I'll remember your suggestion for the next one, though.

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Thanks! Actually, the knot is all the way to the bottom of the hole in the handle. I can't set it any deeper. It didn't cost much, anyway. I'll remember your suggestion for the next one, though.
I wish they would make the holes deeper, you can shim the knot if needed with a slice of cork or some pieces of wood (so use coins, but I always advise not to do so - problems can occur when someone has to drill the glue plug out - guess how I know....). For your picture, the loft looks something like 60 mm or so, would be probably better (= more backbone) at 52-55 mm.

I wish they would make the holes deeper, you can shim the knot if needed with a slice of cork or some pieces of wood (so use coins, but I always advise not to do so - problems can occur when someone has to drill the glue plug out - guess how I know....). For your picture, the loft looks something like 60 mm or so, would be probably better (= more backbone) at 52-55 mm.
Hahaha! Very good eye! I measured it and it is exactly 60mm! I guess I would have to grind out the hole deeper. I'll know the next time. I'll also know to look for hole depth, too.

Top Bottom