What's new

Buffing/cleaning the top of your pipe

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
So im noticing that with repeated uses that the top of the bowls arent that shiny vibrant look as when they were new. Is this something that people customarily place a wax or polish on, to keep them looking fresh, or just carry on?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I just always carried on. If it got ugly enough I scraped it off with my pocket knife.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
it just a shame when the top has a beautiful birdseye that is slowly dulling

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
Depends. If it's just a lack of luster, then obviously a bit of wax will help. If the rim has become darkened, but not charred, a little bit of saliva on a paper towel, or mild soap solution will take most of it off. Then wax if desired. If gentle cleaning does not remove the offending discoloration, more drastic measures may be required, but at the cost of the finish. I have removed char from some estates by using some very fine (400-600 grit) sandpaper. Place the sandpaper on a flat surface and place the bowl upside down on the paper, twist the bowl gently and check your work frequently. You'll lose some stain, but not all of it if you are careful. Then wax, or re-stain if you have some. Or don't worry about it at all!

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
Some saliva and a finger works very well, just takes time. If you make it a habit to do it a lot it keep it at bay. Now if it’s darkened from careless lighting it would need to be sanded and restained.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Depends. If it's just a lack of luster, then obviously a bit of wax will help. If the rim has become darkened, but not charred, a little bit of saliva on a paper towel, or mild soap solution will take most of it off. Then wax if desired. If gentle cleaning does not remove the offending discoloration, more drastic measures may be required, but at the cost of the finish. I have removed char from some estates by using some very fine (400-600 grit) sandpaper. Place the sandpaper on a flat surface and place the bowl upside down on the paper, twist the bowl gently and check your work frequently. You'll lose some stain, but not all of it if you are careful. Then wax, or re-stain if you have some. Or don't worry about it at all!

I’ve done the spit thing and it cleans it up nicely. But I’ve definitely lost the shine. What polish/wax do you recommend?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
You guys obviously take better care of your pipes than I did! I am going to try to find mine.

I’ve done the spit thing and it cleans it up nicely. But I’ve definitely lost the shine. What polish/wax do you recommend?

Renaissance Wax is the easiest to use, but if you have access to a bench buffer, nothing beats carnuba.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I use the carnauba wax as sold by Walker's Briar Works. I just buff with a soft cloth, no buffer.

I find that unless you have a buffing wheel carnauba wax can be a bit of a pain, especially on rusticated finishes. I use Paragon wax and a soft cloth on my smooth pipes and Halcyon II and soft cloth on my rusticated pipes. You can get both at finepipes.com. A small amount will last you quite a while.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Maybe so. Carnauba wax is also vegetable. I figure in small amounts it would be ok. Perhaps mineral oil?

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
I use the walker carnuba polish for smooth pipes (it’s a blend of carnuba and beeswax so you can rub it in by hand and don’t need a buffer like you would for pure carnuba) and renaissance wax for blasts and rusticated pipes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Ok you will probably laugh but I've really not needed to do much with my pipes. I'm bald on top and find what little oil I need comes to hand very quickly and probably in the exact amount really necessary just passing my hand over my head.

Yeah . . . I know . . . nobody is going to want a used pipe from me. I'm ok with this too. The Sally Ann rejects the great used stuff I bring them ... Apparently I use things up pretty well.

Top Bottom