What's new

Buffing a Blade with a Gold Wash

This Robuso blade needs to be buffed but I don't want to lose the gold wash. I believe buffing goes from spine to edge. How do I clean the blade without sacrificing the gold wash?

Pretty much impossible. Spot cleaning with a dremel is your only choice. If an abrasive hits that gold wash.. its byebye goldwash :)

I did one of those coral razors from JimR's with all the gold wash on it by cutting electrical tape to fit over the gold wash and then ran it through my buffers.

As long as the electrical tape holds you shouldn't have an issue. Then again there is always the risk, but this worked for me.

I did one of those coral razors from JimR's with all the gold wash on it by cutting electrical tape to fit over the gold wash and then ran it through my buffers.

As long as the electrical tape holds you shouldn't have an issue. Then again there is always the risk, but this worked for me.

Thanks, Joe. This is a great idea. A thin strip near the spine and a little piece on the etching on the blade should probably do it. I'll have to give this a try with some of my own blades.

Taping over the gold wash can work, you just have to have a very light touch and be quick to react if the buffer catches on the tape and it comes off.

I don't do restorations so if someone out there is willing to do it, send me a PM. Thanks.

This is the best that I could do with limited equipment. I'm going to get it buffed.

proxy.php

There is no telling at times how gold wash will hold up. I have a Jungmeister and it started coming off right away and I have an old Henry Kauffman & Sons with a lot of gold wash from jimps to tip and it looks pretty darn good.

A buffer will pull the tape off after a while on the wheels so I'd be wary of going that route. Have you used a dremel with the cone shaped felt wheels? I use those at times on razors that I don't want take to buffers and need more concentrated polishing.

This is the best that I could do with limited equipment. I'm going to get it buffed.

proxy.php

Hmm...looks pretty good to me. I haven't really seen anyone who was able to eliminate all their greaseless compound scratches, so buffing may not be worth it on that blade. That's just my opinion, though...

Hmm...looks pretty good to me. I haven't really seen anyone who was able to eliminate all their greaseless compound scratches, so buffing may not be worth it on that blade. That's just my opinion, though...

Good point you brought up. Removing all of the scratches isn't awfully difficult but one must spend a lot of time on it to do so. That may be the down fall.

I have had some success painting over the goldwash areas with stopping-out lacquer - it looks and smells like red nail polish and is removed with acetone, so nail polish would probably do it. Thoroughly degrease the blade, put on a couple of layers of polish (you may have to thin it down) letting it harden between layers, then touch up as you buff.

Not 100% foolproof by any means, but has a bit more staying power than electrical tape.

Regards,
Neil

I have had some success painting over the goldwash areas with stopping-out lacquer - it looks and smells like red nail polish and is removed with acetone, so nail polish would probably do it. Thoroughly degrease the blade, put on a couple of layers of polish (you may have to thin it down) letting it harden between layers, then touch up as you buff.

Not 100% foolproof by any means, but has a bit more staying power than electrical tape.

Regards,
Neil
Really great piece of advice!

And it's great to see you posting here Neil :001_smile

Top Bottom