What's new

Buffalo Trace - Best Whiskies or Best Marketers?

I like Buffalo Trace and especially Eagle Rare but availability in my area has been spotty at best and the price has been a bit high so I haven't had any in about 2 years. There's a lot of good/great stuff out there so I don't really miss it. But I still keep an eye out for the Eagle Rare. :D

I’m just patient and wait to find the BT whiskies at msrp prices or at least close, or I don’t buy them. Find the big grocery stores with huge liquor aisles. Get to know the liquor manager. They get hard to find bottles occasionally and have to sell them at state minimum. They often do not put them out though and will sell them only when asked. I have procured quite a few of the harder to find BT products this way. I have never been disappointed in them.

I have never purchased any of the really expensive bottles though. I probably will just buy a pour from a bar instead of investing in the really pricey bottles like Pappy…..

Marketing is powerful stuff. im more in tune with scotch . I’m looking at you Johnie Walker. I went to a JW tasting and the braggadocio, we are the only distillery who uses smoked whisky made me roll my eyes. yet people buy it like it’s special? You need to get above the red and black before anything is reasonably decent IMHO.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
If you want to see marketing in full force go to Whiskyfest. There’s 2-300 different distillers/bottlers all trying to get your attention. The seminars they have are usually put on by one producer or another highlighting their portfolio of whiskies, as in here’s a flight of what we produce let’s taste them all. The first time I went I sampled everything I could as fast as I could. I don’t remember anything past the first hour.

Just can’t beat Old Forester for a well made, reasonably priced bourbon.
Yet when the local store has this for $26 vs OF 100 for $21, I pick it up for some reason. Maybe it is the marketing. I’m only going to mix either of them. Found a bottle of BT today.
23511138-CBFC-412F-A5BC-667CA7504E78.jpeg

Had my first Buffalo Trace sighting today... so far I have never seen it locally (granted I haven't been looking long and only visited a few places). The nearest total wine and spirits didn't have any and I overheard them say that when they do get any bottles it is raffled off to their members or something. Spotted it in my local liquor store. Only two 750ml bottles and two 375ml bottles were spotted. The 750ml bottles were $69. I will be holding off on trying it for a while. I'm still new to these kinda of drinks. Plenty to try and keep busy with for a while. Its interesting to see the state by state price differences.

Had my first Buffalo Trace sighting today... so far I have never seen it locally (granted I haven't been looking long and only visited a few places). The nearest total wine and spirits didn't have any and I overheard them say that when they do get any bottles it is raffled off to their members or something. Spotted it in my local liquor store. Only two 750ml bottles and two 375ml bottles were spotted. The 750ml bottles were $69. I will be holding off on trying it for a while. I'm still new to these kinda of drinks. Plenty to try and keep busy with for a while. Its interesting to see the state by state price differences.
Not sure what normal prices are for you, but there is NO WAY a 750 of BT is worth that price. The market may have officially jumped the shark.

Not sure what normal prices are for you, but there is NO WAY a 750 of BT is worth that price. The market may have officially jumped the shark.
Having never tried BT I don't really know what its like. Also don't know what I'm missing haha. I felt it was a bit high considering all the other options there for half that or less. Seems as though the BT stuff is hard to come by here in SC. I'll keep an eye out for it still just in case I see it at a reasonable price. Still would like to try it someday. Plenty of other stuff to try out until then haha.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
For many years I worked in Louisville for 3 weeks each June. I'd drink more than my share of bourbon and rye each year. I'm not much of a bourbon drinker, but I found that Old Forester's 86 proof was a good bargain, but I really liked the rye flavor in the Basil Hayden bourbon. Speaking of bourbons with a lot of rye it was during those years of working in Louisville that Bulleit first appeared. In order to get into the market they were practically giving it away when it was first released. I couldn't believe such quality at such a low price. That price went up each time I bought a bottle.

Personally, I don't bother with BT products; there are plenty of other fine bourbons that are actually on the shelf. BT's contrived allocation is, IMO, just that: a made-up scarcity for the sole purpose of driving up demand and prices. I acknowledge that it does seem to be working for them on that count, but in my view they are playing a lot of folks for suckers. It is interesting that this allocation policy that started with Pappy has now trickled down through the entire BT line to bourbons as ordinary Weller Special Reserve and BT itself. If it works, just keep doing it, I guess. But a raffle for a bottle of BT? No thanks; I can get a bottle of Early Times BIB or Wild Turkey 101 any time I want, and for less money.

Retail prices are fixed in the control state of Oregon, so there is no retail price gouging for BT products going on here, but the consequence is that most of the BT products are simply not, or only rarely, available. I know BT has defended their approach as simply a response to "overwhelming demand", but I find it interesting that none of the other big bourbon houses seem to have similar widespread scarcity of product.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
Around here (Indianapolis area) most BT “regular production” products can be fond pretty easily. The Pappy line of course is non existent or costs 3k a bottle. There is a local store that I no longer visit that always has at least 2 bottles of Pappy 23 for 3k a bottle. MSRP remains 299.99 for these bottles so this is just plain greed.
Regular BT seems to always be available at Costco and other liquor stores. Eagle Rare, Blantons, and Weller SR are harder to find, but they’re available. I’ve picked up Blantons and Eagle Rare at the Grocery store within the past 2-3 months. Weller I last bought just before Christmas. Prices, for the most part, have been ok.

Things are a little different here in Oregon, as all inventory of distilled spirits is actually owned by the state and is sold at retail on behalf of the state through independently owned licensed stores, of which there are roughly 275 for the entire state. No Costco or grocery store sales. To give you an example of BT product scarcity, when I checked the state's on-line inventory, Weller SR is currently in stock in only 16 of those 275 licensed outlets; Blanton's in only 21. And most of these stores show only a bottle or two in stock, so your timing has to be good (or very lucky). Plus, Oregon is a big state so it can be a long way to any particular store. That's why I basically don't bother.

Top Bottom