What's new

Buffalo Trace - Best Whiskies or Best Marketers?

I have to wonder if Buffalo Trace excels more at marketing than they do at distilling. Don't get me wrong, they make some really good whiskies. But, I can't say that they should command the demand they do. Pappy's, Blantons, Eagle Rare, Stagg, etc. These are either hard to come by or overpriced when you do find them. And, now you can add Wellers to the list of those that are becoming harder to get. I've had all of these, and they're good; hell, I love me some Col. Taylor. But, in my opinion, they're also not worth the prices they tend to go for when you are able to find them.

I get that Pappy's got some love from Bourdain which set off that frenzy, and Blanton's is a really good whisky in a nice bottle, but, for me, it's more hype than substance. I would gladly pay MSRP for many of the BT brands, but gray market prices? No thanks.

Thoughts?

Oh boy...someone opened this box... 🤣

That said, I agree with you. I have enjoyed Blantons, Eagle Rare, and a Pappy once when I had them. Great whiskies. But would I pay secondary prices for them? Hell no. In fact, even some of the MSRP prices I'd just as soon purchase other bottles than some of these. It bothers me so much, I won't even buy standard BT or Benchmark. I enjoy BT, but will gladly give my money to companies that aren't allocating their stuff.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I like Buffalo Trace fine, but I would not put it at or near the top of my list. I'll keep getting EW 1783 for my regular bourbon and an older Knob Creek or Booker's for a fun splurge and save the money for better rye. BTW, perhaps overpriced, but Peerless rye was pretty fine.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
For the most part, other than the antique collection etc, I don’t think BUffalo Trace’s marketing is the reason their products are in such short supply. A few examples:
The Pappy line was REALLY talked up by a lot of Bourbon “Experts” about the same time that Bourbon really started to make a comeback with the “In” crowd. It’s a limited production to begin with so it disappeared quickly. MSRP from BT is still $300. Personally the Pappy 23s that I’ve had were seriously over oaked.

Stagg is the same mashbill as Pappy so if you can’t get Pappy the thinking is you get Stagg.

Blanton’s is good (and a long time favorite of mine) but it really got scarce after the big single barrel/barrel proof craze took off a few years ago.

Eagle Rare is one of the last remaining “production” Bourbons with an age statement, so that makes it more sought after/rare.

Bourbon is so popular right now that any special/limited release is allocated and snatched up immediately off of shelves.

If you really want to see what internet “experts” can do, try and find Old Grand Dad 114. It’s gone from shelves everywhere because a lot of these experts started talking about how good it is. It was one of my favorite middle shelf bourbons until it hit top shelf prices.

I’m hoping that eventually the craze will end and prices/inventory will start to come back to whatever normal is these days. Seriously, all of us bourbon drinkers need to get online and post about (insert other liquor here)to draw attention away from Bourbon.

Never had Pappy, still have some old Weller 12 that is fine but not earthshaking. I do like Blantons and love Elmer T. Lee both now unobtainum in Europe. The standard BT is nothing to write home about. If I had to choose I would take WT101 or Rittenhouse BiB over BT any day of the week.

The most pleasant surprise of the last months was Old Ezra 7y from Luxrow distillery?

btw has anybody already tried the MM 101 and can give me their input on it?
BFB6E12C-40E0-441F-A26E-42E84D3F4C18.jpeg

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
The MM 101 is good stuff. If you’ve had regular MM it’s like that but with more kick. It’s very smooth for a higher proof bourbon with a oilier mouth feel than the standard 90 proof. If my memory serves me right, lots of vanilla and caramel forward with follow up cherries and spice. You’re bottle is a “Travelers release. “ The bottle I have is a “limited release.” Probably the same juice with the travelers marketed for export.
The Altos Tequilla is my favorite for Margaritas.

The MM 101 is good stuff. If you’ve had regular MM it’s like that but with more kick. It’s very smooth for a higher proof bourbon with a oilier mouth feel than the standard 90 proof. If my memory serves me right, lots of vanilla and caramel forward with follow up cherries and spice. You’re bottle is a “Travelers release. “ The bottle I have is a “limited release.” Probably the same juice with the travelers marketed for export.
The Altos Tequilla is my favorite for Margaritas.
Many thanks, I didn’t noticed it but yes it says Travelers‘ Exclusive, that’s also the reason for the 1,000ml bottling. The Altos was a recommendation from you but until now I could only find the Reposado (I like it). The Blanco is totally new to me.
79A1D65B-95D3-4A17-8A93-CA3A38D9FA40.jpeg

B2FC2077-81D8-4C29-A815-6B37BF3912FE.jpeg
79A1D65B-95D3-4A17-8A93-CA3A38D9FA40.jpeg

Never had Pappy, still have some old Weller 12 that is fine but not earthshaking. I do like Blantons and love Elmer T. Lee both now unobtainum in Europe. The standard BT is nothing to write home about. If I had to choose I would take WT101 or Rittenhouse BiB over BT any day of the week.

The most pleasant surprise of the last months was Old Ezra 7y from Luxrow distillery?

btw has anybody already tried the MM 101 and can give me their input on it?
View attachment 1306229

Have not tried the 101 but I did just finish a bottle of Makers Mark Cask Strength, it will be on my definitely purchase again list. Was not harsh and had a very nice lingering dark fruit taste with Caramel.

Last edited:
I have to wonder if Buffalo Trace excels more at marketing than they do at distilling. Don't get me wrong, they make some really good whiskies. But, I can't say that they should command the demand they do. Pappy's, Blantons, Eagle Rare, Stagg, etc. These are either hard to come by or overpriced when you do find them. And, now you can add Wellers to the list of those that are becoming harder to get. I've had all of these, and they're good; hell, I love me some Col. Taylor. But, in my opinion, they're also not worth the prices they tend to go for when you are able to find them.

I get that Pappy's got some love from Bourdain which set off that frenzy, and Blanton's is a really good whisky in a nice bottle, but, for me, it's more hype than substance. I would gladly pay MSRP for many of the BT brands, but gray market prices? No thanks.

Thoughts?

Not tried BT yet... Seemed over priced at Total Wine and I have to many other Bourbons on my ToDo list :eek2:

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I’ve got Evan Williams covered as well. I’m not sure who picked the 2005 for Meijer, but it has got to be one of the best EWSB I’ve ever had. I’ll be sad when these 3 bottles are gone.
View attachment 1306405
I love Evan Williams single barrels and have yet to find one I don't find lovely. As several others have mentioned Pappy, I must say that when it was just over $30 for a fifth, Rip Van Winkle was pretty much my fave. Sigh. I am that oddball who thinks that the benefits of sleeping long years in the barrel start tailing off around 10-12. It may be less as climate change makes things hotter. I know a two year old aged in Central Texas is already coming into its own.

Whisky

ATF. I use all three.
Staff member
I love Evan Williams single barrels and have yet to find one I don't find lovely. As several others have mentioned Pappy, I must say that when it was just over $30 for a fifth, Rip Van Winkle was pretty much my fave. Sigh. I am that oddball who thinks that the benefits of sleeping long years in the barrel start tailing off around 10-12. It may be less as climate change makes things hotter. I know a two year old aged in Central Texas is already coming into its own.
I totally agree. My father in law saw the writing on the wall and bought 2 sets of the entire Pappy Van Winkle Family about 12-13yrs ago before the prices went crazy. On the rare occasions he brings them out, everybody wants the 15yr over the 20 and 23.
The size of the barrel can also have a lot to do with how fast the whisk(e)y ages.
You wouldn’t be referring to Balcones in Central Texas would you? My dad lives in Waco and brings me a bottle ever time he comes to visit.

Tirvine

ancient grey sweatophile
I totally agree. My father in law saw the writing on the wall and bought 2 sets of the entire Pappy Van Winkle Family about 12-13yrs ago before the prices went crazy. On the rare occasions he brings them out, everybody wants the 15yr over the 20 and 23.
The size of the barrel can also have a lot to do with how fast the whisk(e)y ages.
You wouldn’t be referring to Balcones in Central Texas would you? My dad lives in Waco and brings me a bottle ever time he comes to visit.
All of them. My son in law has distilled at Ben Milam and Maverick. We have tried most of them. It did not get raves, but I really liked the Balcones Pot Still. It has a lot of rye in its mash bill and puts it to good use. Before he left Maverick they put out their Alamo as a two year old. It has a strong barley note that in my opinion needs another two to four years of barrel time, but the owner wanted to release it. Two years in a sweltering building in downtown San Antonio is like much more in a rickhouse in Kentucky!

Top Bottom