What's new

Buffalo NY Favorite

176845F2-1ABC-44C9-85AD-6671E296FFB8.jpeg
E9C3DE4E-21A2-4515-8B7C-68192EE377E5.jpeg

Buffalo NY.
If you have ever been there you know it’s more deserving of the title “Scruffy City”
than is Knoxville TN.
But...they do have shining moments. The world famous Buffalo Wings are always at the forefront. Right alongside is the reknowned Buffalo favorite, Roast Beef on Kummelweck or simply “Beef on Weck”.
Too far to drive to Schawbl’s or one of the other wonderful places to partake of this delicacy...so. Seeing as how a friend showed up with a couple dozen kummelweck buns, fresh from the “City of No Illusions”...the beef prep started a couple hours ago for Thursday night feasting. It’ll wind up like this. With hot horseradish.

That looks very tasty! I learned about Buffalo Wings from Julia Child many years ago and made it for an office party. Nobody had ever heard of them and they went uneaten except by me. I should have started a restaurant then! One thing she did is only used the drum portion of the wing, and she sliced the tendons around the base of the drum before cooking and pushed the meat up into a ball at the tip of the drum. Much nicer looking than the dreck they serve at the chains. Last place I went to only served Ranch dressing with the wings.

Grew up in WNY and am now in SC where there isn't a Kummelweck roll around. I make my own by using store bought Kaiser rolls and slating/seeding them myself. It's pretty easy, just boil some water/corn starch until it thickens and lightly brush it on top of the rolls. After that, generously sprinkle Kosher salt and Caraway seeds and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes (or until the tops dry).

That looks very tasty! I learned about Buffalo Wings from Julia Child many years ago and made it for an office party. Nobody had ever heard of them and they went uneaten except by me. I should have started a restaurant then! One thing she did is only used the drum portion of the wing, and she sliced the tendons around the base of the drum before cooking and pushed the meat up into a ball at the tip of the drum. Much nicer looking than the dreck they serve at the chains. Last place I went to only served Ranch dressing with the wings.

Ranch dressing is a no-no... Blue Cheese or nothing!

I freaking love beef on weck. I'm in the Buffalo area fairly often and try to get it when there. I wish DiBellas in Henrietta did a beef on weck grinder.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
That looks just wonderful. I've heard of those sandwiches and even recognized it right off the bat, but I've never made it up to Buffalo to grab one.

8 lb. sirloin tip roast. Eye of round or sirloin top will work too
Rub...kosher salt, pepper, granulated garlic.
Sear all sides. Place in roasting pan on rack. Add some water in the bottom Oven at 225. Slow roast until internal temperature is 120-125 degrees.
Remove. Rest beef for a couple hours.
Make au jus. Slice crazy thin. Serve on kümmelweck bun with au jus and horseradish..NOT horseradish sauce.

Grew up in WNY and am now in SC where there isn't a Kummelweck roll around. I make my own by using store bought Kaiser rolls and slating/seeding them myself. It's pretty easy, just boil some water/corn starch until it thickens and lightly brush it on top of the rolls. After that, generously sprinkle Kosher salt and Caraway seeds and bake at 350 degrees for 5 minutes (or until the tops dry).

Brilliant!

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That looks just wonderful. I've heard of those sandwiches and even recognized it right off the bat, but I've never made it up to Buffalo to grab one.
When I go to Cleveland this year I plan to hit Niagara Falls. I believe I will have to pass through Buffalo. I definitely want one of these sandwiches.

57E4E38C-7B18-4757-A2AA-C30376BBA9BC.jpeg
Internal temperature of about 125 degrees. Now resting. I just know this is gonna be epic......

Resting... Time to finish the au jus and rolls!

Attachments

• 9221CBBF-A711-4B33-B4CE-F746BF294B45.jpeg
    9221CBBF-A711-4B33-B4CE-F746BF294B45.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Top Bottom