What's new

Budget Whippeddog Sight Unseen Alternative?

My apologies in advance if this has been talked about already, I did a search and couldn't find anything on the subject. Is there a budget alternative to the whippeddog deal Larry used to have on his website now that he no longer offers the sight unseen deal? I know there's plenty of straight razor kits out there, but most are far and away more expensive than the sight unseen deal was, at least if you buy from a reputable vendor who sells quality products and ensures the razor is shave ready.

The closest thing I've found for a full kit with a shave ready razor is this from Razor Emporium...Straight Razor Beginner Wet Shave Kit - Options For Every Budget!
However it's a bit more spendy than the sight unseen deal used to be. Not that it's not worth it. I was just hoping to keep things in the $40-50 range.

I am not opposed to piecing things together if need be, and I dont need the accessories such as shaving soap/cream, brush, etc. as I already wet shave. The only things I REALLY need, provided the razor is shave ready, is the razor and a strop.

I would also be open to getting a razor that isnt shave ready (this Gold Dollar 1996 seems like a good start, and some of the reviews even say their's came shave ready) Straight edge razor men without stabilizer barber straight razor with acrylic handle shaving safety razor https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07515QTX9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_GdpsDb6Q9NY4A
and adding some stones and a strop to get it shave ready myself. The caveat with that is if I'm going to spending much more than $50 for everything then I might as well go with the razor emporium kit and have a garuanteed shave ready razor with all the fun stuff to go with it right off the bat.

One other caveat is I would prefer to get everything from one vendor, whether that be Amazon/insert wet shaving site here, strictly for the purpose of saving on shipping from multiple sites. Thanks in advance for any info y'all can provide!

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
I know everyone is bananas over the 1996 but I suggest a W60 from Fendrihan or anyone else that ships them shave ready. If you set up a progression of lapped and pasted balsa strops from .5u to .1u, you can use that to fine tune the edge and then use the .1u to maintain it. The reason I recommend the W60 over the 1996 is the 1996 has the same fat bevel angle as the classic Gold Dollars and the W series razors have a considerably more acute bevel angle. Not knocking the classic 19 degree bevel... it will shave. And in fact it will probably cut you less than a finer bevel, so maybe it is better for a newbie, I don't know. I know that myself, I find the W60 MUCH more pleasing to shave with. Method honing brings out the best in an acute bevel. It can only do just so much with an obtuse bevel. If your honing system is not as refined as all that, then you might not perceive any significant difference between say a 19 degree bevel and a 16 degree bevel, so it's not the end of the world if you are stuck with a 1996. They are much easier to hone than say a #66, and not quite as crude looking if that makes any difference to you.

So you only need a strop cause you already got brush and soap? Well, look on amazon and fleabay for a strop sold under the brand "The X Bay". Give the 2" wide one a miss. Go for the 2-1/2" one-- it is only a buck or so more. It is dirt cheap and for a first strop, it will do just fine and in fact is more strop than many others that are recommended as first strops. I think last I checked they were around $9 or a bit less. Don't let the "Made In Pakistan" mark put you off. It is surprisingly satisfactory. You will outgrow it soon enough but not as quick as you would outgrow a simple piece of leather hanging from a leather thong ran through a grommet in the end. Maybe you would want to upgrade to a more serious strop in a year or two, but it will do fine for making your newbie mistakes on.

I know everyone is bananas over the 1996 but I suggest a W60 from Fendrihan or anyone else that ships them shave ready. If you set up a progression of lapped and pasted balsa strops from .5u to .1u, you can use that to fine tune the edge and then use the .1u to maintain it. The reason I recommend the W60 over the 1996 is the 1996 has the same fat bevel angle as the classic Gold Dollars and the W series razors have a considerably more acute bevel angle. Not knocking the classic 19 degree bevel... it will shave. And in fact it will probably cut you less than a finer bevel, so maybe it is better for a newbie, I don't know. I know that myself, I find the W60 MUCH more pleasing to shave with. Method honing brings out the best in an acute bevel. It can only do just so much with an obtuse bevel. If your honing system is not as refined as all that, then you might not perceive any significant difference between say a 19 degree bevel and a 16 degree bevel, so it's not the end of the world if you are stuck with a 1996. They are much easier to hone than say a #66, and not quite as crude looking if that makes any difference to you.

So you only need a strop cause you already got brush and soap? Well, look on amazon and fleabay for a strop sold under the brand "The X Bay". Give the 2" wide one a miss. Go for the 2-1/2" one-- it is only a buck or so more. It is dirt cheap and for a first strop, it will do just fine and in fact is more strop than many others that are recommended as first strops. I think last I checked they were around $9 or a bit less. Don't let the "Made In Pakistan" mark put you off. It is surprisingly satisfactory. You will outgrow it soon enough but not as quick as you would outgrow a simple piece of leather hanging from a leather thong ran through a grommet in the end. Maybe you would want to upgrade to a more serious strop in a year or two, but it will do fine for making your newbie mistakes on.
Fantastic Slash! Just the info I was looking for. I was hoping you would chime in, I've been reading various posts and you have a lot of good, detailed info. Thanks!

I know everyone is bananas over the 1996 but I suggest a W60 from Fendrihan or anyone else that ships them shave ready. The reason I recommend the W60 over the 1996 is the 1996 has the same fat bevel angle as the classic Gold Dollars and the W series razors have a considerably more acute bevel angle. Not knocking the classic 19 degree bevel... it will shave. And in fact it will probably cut you less than a finer bevel, so maybe it is better for a newbie, I don't know.

Any reason you specifially suggest the W60? Is that just the W model you have? I saw the W62 on Fendrihan that, to me, is more aesthetically pleasing, as well as being a round point which is generally the recommended blade type for beginning straight razor shaving. It's also 10 bucks cheaper. Not knocking your choice of W model, just trying to figure out if you specifically recommend that W model, or just the W models in general over the other gold dollars. Also, are ALL straight razors from Fendrihan shipped shave ready? Or only the ones specified as such on their site? I noticed they had a section just for "shave ready" razors and the gold dollars weren't in there so I just want to clarify.

Do what you want, but there are vintage razors from an era when makers knew what they were doing for less than a good micro brewed six pack. Over the past year I have acquired excellent razors, cleaned them up, and honed them to near shavette. If you find something you like, post the picture, not the auction, here to get some feedback.

Did you contact Larry at WhippedDog? Even though not listed on his site anymore, I emailed him and he set me up. That was about a year ago.

Slash McCoy

I freehand dog rockets
Any reason you specifially suggest the W60? Is that just the W model you have? I saw the W62 on Fendrihan that, to me, is more aesthetically pleasing, as well as being a round point which is generally the recommended blade type for beginning straight razor shaving. It's also 10 bucks cheaper. Not knocking your choice of W model, just trying to figure out if you specifically recommend that W model, or just the W models in general over the other gold dollars. Also, are ALL straight razors from Fendrihan shipped shave ready? Or only the ones specified as such on their site? I noticed they had a section just for "shave ready" razors and the gold dollars weren't in there so I just want to clarify.

I have a natural aversion to Gold Dollar stabillizers and shoulders I guess, and a preference for thumb notches and french points and such. You might want to ask them about it. Make sure it has the same spine thickness as the other W razors. I have never seen a W62.

User grade shave ready vintage straights regularly pop up on the BST. If I were you, I'd post a WTB in there and offer $30 for a shave ready straight in decent condition with little hone wear. Include that you're new to straights, and you'll probably end up with a great razor that way!

Then buy the strop Slash recommended, and you'll be set for a few months!

User grade shave ready vintage straights regularly pop up on the BST. If I were you, I'd post a WTB in there and offer $30 for a shave ready straight in decent condition with little hone wear. Include that you're new to straights, and you'll probably end up with a great razor that way!

Then buy the strop Slash recommended, and you'll be set for a few months!

And your first straight should be 5/8 and round point!

Thanks James!

I would agree with a WTB post. Good luck.
I did try to do that and I dont have the required amount of posts/days as a member so that is out as an option for now. No biggie. I see your username has AZ in it...what part of AZ? I live in the Phoenix area.

If I were you I’d just find a solid, decent looking in decent photos, American vintage on ebay. Any number of people here would help hone it for you just to help you get started, I’d be shocked if you’re not already getting PMs

True that! I’m into the fullest of hollows, so Vintage America is the $15 promised land at the moment.

I’ve had a large drawer worth of <$20 Gencos by now and I’ve never found anything to complain about.

If I were you I’d just find a solid, decent looking in decent photos, American vintage on ebay. Any number of people here would help hone it for you just to help you get started, I’d be shocked if you’re not already getting PMs

No PMs as of yet. I really don't mind the idea of learning to hone myself right off the bat. It's more about making sure I get a razor that is in servicable condition. As someone inexperienced with straight razors it's harder for me to distinguish what's a good deal on a used razor or not.

Top Bottom