What's new

Budget shave soap recommendation

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
How do you guys store the bar?

1657201701020.jpeg

I am here to convert the OP to the wonderful world of the shaving stick....

start with Arko stick - buy it in a twist up container from Shave Nation or others, so you don't have to faff around with the paper etc... and after use putting the cap back on removes the, errr, olfactory element in your bathroom.

Arko - cheap yet excellent performance so use that as a baseline.

then sticking with things that stick... splash out on a refill of Mitchell's Wool Fat. No need for the expensive (but lovely) ceramic dish.. get the puck. Load up your brush and lather up on your face. Great, isn't it?

Now take that MWF, and some Arko and grate them 50/50 and mash the mix into one of those twist up containers. Enjoy.

Finding the world of Arko a tad not to your perfume preference? Or just curious?
Next try the classic that is Cella.
Get the cute little red tub - load brush and lather on face like the MWF. Enjoy that lovely marzipan scent and the Arko like perfomance... and yes it 'sticks' if you mix it 50/50 with MWF (which is a hard soap, so offsets the much softer Cella). Best to freeze the Cella overnight before trying to grate it 50/50 with MWF - and now you have 2 fabulous sticks to enjoy.

Mike's Shave soaps look like a good firmer soap too, but I haven't tried them... yet.

I'd been using my Cella/MWF stick for a few days, and realised I missed the old Arko... cracked open the stick and smiled.
Just like something out of the classic Hayseed Dixies song -
"It all came back to me, baby
In one vaporous rush I remembered you well
How could I ever forget, that you're a piece of... soap?"

Poop in a jar
Great recommendations Coops. Great to hear from a fellow soap blender.

I've found my Mitchell's Wool Fat (MWF) very similar to Williams from a shaving performance perspective (not surprising given same top three ingredients. While I don't plan to molest my sole puck of MWF I did experiment by combining some of my Williams reserve with Arko and similar to your MWF/Arko combination found that mixing Arko with the Williams created a soap that was easier to lather with a milder scent than Arko alone. Works well with my softer synthetic brush while for Williams alone a boar works best to deliver great lather. See from the MWF/Williams perspective that blending with Arko creates an easier to lather product with great slickness. Other then a milder scent is did you find any benefits from the Arko perspective when blending with MWF? Since I like the Arko scent and can easily work my MWF and Williams with a boar brush I'm not sure I'll blend them in the future. Do see the advantage of blending for someone who prefers a softer brush or milder scent from Arko.

Other then a milder scent is did you find any benefits from the Arko perspective when blending with MWF?

Both Arko & Cella are great on their own - but mixing with MWF adds the Lanolin into the lather which is great.
Cella is too soft on its own to use as a stick, but mixing with MWF results in a nice easy to apply stick... not too firm so wipes onto the face easily.

MWF on its own can be used directly as a stick or just rub the puck on face, but it's so hard that it takes a bit of scrubbing to do so (and its hardness is also why it's good value as it lasts so long as a puck).

Arko, Palmolive, like has been mentioned already. Derby if it's cheap. It's the same as Arko. Mitchell's seems popular although I haven't gotten the best results with it. But you get a zillion shaves from a puck.

Depending where you are and what's available, try some Williams. I get great results with it (most of the time . . . ) and it'll only set you back a buck or so if you can find it locally. I find it's best if you use it every day. Also I just tried the B•Pure from Dollar Tree. Only one shave on it but it worked pretty well.

IMO you won’t find anything much slicker than Cremo. As far as soaps are concerned Stirling of MWF are hard to beat for the price. Pasteurs Pharmacy can get you a tub of Stirling for 14 bucks shipped to your door.

The best inexpensive soaps I’ve tried are La Toja stick pressed into bowl, RazorRock blue barbershop, and tabac stick pressed into bowl.

Creams that are pretty good are La Toja, Lea, Palmolive, and Prorasso.
I would second Proraso cream, it isn’t unusual to see me using white or blue (but I prefer white) with a 200 dollar brush and a 400 dollar razor I like it that much. My local Wegmans always has green on the shelf, too.

Arko, Palmolive, like has been mentioned already. Derby if it's cheap. It's the same as Arko. Mitchell's seems popular although I haven't gotten the best results with it. But you get a zillion shaves from a puck.

Depending where you are and what's available, try some Williams. I get great results with it (most of the time . . . ) and it'll only set you back a buck or so if you can find it locally. I find it's best if you use it every day. Also I just tried the B•Pure from Dollar Tree. Only one shave on it but it worked pretty well.
Great suggestions if you can find the soaps. Arko and Mitchell's are readily available online. Unfortunately Williams and Palmolive shave sticks have been discontinued. Same appears to be true for the Derby shave sticks (Got one a couple years ago and it's very similar to Arko) though the Derby Premium tub may still be around. For Williams grab it if you stumble on some at your local grocery. At $10-$15 a puck on-line now you may as well purchase Mitchell's that provides a puck that's over twice the size with lanolin for a similar price.

1st shave with the lime puck from Razorock and the Nacet blade, both provided by Eben Stone, in my '56 tech was very smooth.
I scooped some into a bowl and flattened it into about a nickel size circle. This was probably 2-3x more than needed to produce the most lather I have had to date.
The Nacet felt as smooth as the Persona Platinum. I don't know how they compare to each other on the sharpness vs smoothness scale. But they are the two best blades I have used so far. I wish my beard grew faster. 🙂

Arko is ok. The main issue with arko is its very drying to the skin. It's cheap cause no skin conditioning. It's selling point is cheap.

I would recommend Stirling sheep. Or a scented mutton base from them. The slickest soap by far. Most hydrating by far. It's just the best

Its like 15 bucks and should last a year. That's inexpensive.

Top Bottom