What's new

Budget friendly Shave Kit recommendations

I have been a wet shaver now for the past couple of months and a lurker here until fairly recently. I have been finding my sweet spot as to a shave load out that works for me, doing my research on the forum and via videos.Having two similar addictions (blades and watches), I have an appreciation of value for the $$ (e.g. a 60 year old item can outperform a modern one; components, materials, and build quality trump designer labels). I actually came here researching straight razors, but current economics have put that off for now.
So in the spirit of pay it forward and camaraderie that I love about this forum, I wanted to put up a post of what I've found to be high value items for my fellow newbies, and vets who like value or want a travel kit.

1.Razors
a) VDH: I was able to pick up a Van der Hagen, which I believe is a Weishi 9306. I got it on the bay new for $10 shipped. My first couple of shaves were not great, due to razors (the included VDH razors are ****e), a needed minor tweak of how the blade sat and my using canned gel (see #2 Soaps). after sorting that out, it's a great shave! Here's a video review from the Mad Scientist : https://youtu.be/NuDgJ8rr_A4

b) Utopia: I had come across an ad on Amazon for this razor selling for $8.90 shipped via Prime and including 20 Derby blades. I found some strong reviews here on the forum when it was more expensive and some video reviews as well. Researching technique and tools, I had an idea that a long handle heavy razor would suit my style a bit better, so I purchased it. Plus, I wanted a 3 piece and the reviews stated it was worth the price for the heavy handle alone. I'm going on my 4th shave with it and it's great! They've recently updated the handle to one that looks similar to the Merkur long handle, though the one in the vid has a nice style as well: https://youtu.be/ezO-xno4jqE

2. Soaps
a) Arko Stick - nuff said! There are a ton of reviews and it's easy to get - I got 2 sticks for $5 shipped! The slickness is on point and was night and day over the Edge gel. It creates a thick cushioning lather for a 3 pass shave just from what's on the brush.

b) Bearded Jack - wanting to try a bowl lather + a scent, I looked on the bay and found this for under $5 shipped in a wide selection of scents. I ordered Bay Rum, which has a pleasant scent that's not too long lasting but just enough. my last shave I tried something different: I bloomed the soap and brush in boiled water, prepped my face with the brush/hot water and drained off the water and lathered in the bowl. It produced a large amount of lather and was slick through 3 passes + touch up with just putting the hot water on my face; I mean to the point where you have to rinse well to get the slickness off you! I researched for a soap with these sort of ingredients and I want to emphasize how nice & slick it is. The price per ounce is decent (2.5 ounce puck) and better when you factor the free shipping. Here's how it came :
$WP_20160324_001.jpg

3. Blades
a) Supermax Platinum - got these for $2.50 shipped for 10. Nice blades, but 2 shaves per blade seems to be it for me in the VDH; I have to try them in the Utopia
b) Astra Superior Platinum - Sharpest I've tried so far, got them for $2.50 shipped for 5, 2 shaves in the TTO so far & also need to try in the Utopia.
c) Derby - 3 shaves so far, got 20 for free with the Utopia, going for 4th tomorrow! I think they match with the Utopia a bit better since it's a more aggressive razor.

4. Brush
a) Again, did the site searches and found a Van der Hagen 100% natural Boar for $8 shipped! With the TTO razor and this brush I purchased from sellers who seem to be liquidator/estate buyers. The items were new but the boxes were a bit mushed.
$s-l140.jpg

All of the above items I'd highly recommend, so good luck and happy shaving!

Last edited:
Hi, nice kit, here are some examples of mine
I live in Spain, so I'm very limited on hardware, DE razors aren't available, and the only blades are Personna from Mercadona and Gillette Silver Blue- both at a premium
So all of my razors came from eBay, top of the list Windrose D-9 Chunky and SP-4, both on Merkur style heads, both lathe turned, perfectly balanced works of art for less than €25 each shipped from England, Maggard razor handles in USA look very similar.
Weishi 9306CL, the black pearl finish and extra long handle make it look different to other Weishis, it's very well made and I get a great shave from it, and at €9 shipped from China a bargain
NOS 1990 Russian Ideal Adjustable, similar to the Gillette Slim, except that the finish is rougher, it's got a black plastic baseplate, and it's so ruggedly built it's probably bulletproof !! Great shaves for €21 shipped from Russia
Rapira Stainless, Swedish Supersteel, Platinum Lux and Voskhod blades from Russia are a good deal if you buy 100 each of 3 different blades they average out at €6/100 shipped from Russia
Rapira Stainless are also available for €5/100, Shark Stainless for €7/100, stra Platinum for 9/100, Bic Chrome for €11/100 - all with free shipping from Turkey
Centwin Super Platinum are worth trying too at 8/100 including shipping from India

I've acquired various shaving soaps, shaving sticks and creams from different countries, but the best value are definitely Arko

I've bought some aftershaves from various sellers, but the best value ones are Old Spice Original, Musk and Fresh Lime from India - all available for less than €15 each including shipping from India

And best of all, La Toja and Lea shaving sticks, La Toja, Lea, Gillette and Williams Expert shaving creams, La Toja, Floid Vigaroso, Williams Expert Aqua Velva, Varon Dandy and Agua Brava aftershaves - all available from local supermarkets, which proves that it pays to support your local businesses!!

Top Bottom