What's new

Budget brush recommendations please.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
My Omega 10051 (not the green one) landed today. After soaking it and giving it a shampoo I decided to have a shave with it (much to the consternation of my Shavemac Silvertip 2-Band).

Here it is post-shave:
View attachment 897121

For a first shave it was superb! I'll definitely be using the orange one for a while. :001_smile

Being mainly a face latherer I love a brush that has good (but pleasant) scrub and zero scritch. This is what the 10051 delivered more or less straight out of the box. I now love Omega brushes even more. Of course making a perfect lather goes without saying.

I wasn't sure about the handle, never having used one that shape before. But it passed the test* with flying colors.
* I didn't even notice it.

Excellent! Good to hear, Cal. It's on my shortlist.

Omega 11126. Great lather builder on hard soaps, wonderful feel, hasn’t shed hair one in years. Cost is about $20 USD
Another great choice is the Semogue 1305. Iconic brush, very popular within the community. Cost is also around $20 USD.

I would suggest the proraso boar brush, if you have 3 months of patience till you let it break in. Under 10 pounds I guess.

Three months?!?! My last boar took about three shaves to break in.

I just used it although you could use cold water method to accelerate its breaking in process.
It took around 3 months to be completely broken in and the brush is awesome now. You will like it, I think .

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. After much deliberation, I've ended up following Cal's lead and ordered the Omega 10051 in green. Everything looks spot on in terms of diameter, knot, handle, and of course price. It's actually a more compact knot than my last one, so it should be ideal. I'll try not to kill this one with stupidity like I did with the last one :D

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
The 10051 arrived today, and first impressions are very good. There's more backbone to this than my first one had, and I can confidently lather with just the tips, knowing the skin is fully covered around the base of each hair. It lathered Wilkinson Sword blue bowl with ease. Size, feel, backbone, handle, are all ideal. Good call, @Cal

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!

Straight out of the packet

IMG_20180719_145733_edit_450_600.jpg

After first use

IMG_20180719_150637_edit_450_600.jpg

Top Bottom