What's new

Buddel Razor Suminagashi steel and amboina

I made this razor for a customer. The wood is a beautiful grained amboina (oiled) and the wedge is from buffalo horn and brass.

:drool:

Not to mention that blade! It's gorgeous!

Is that damascus? Those lines are clearly not a reflection, but at the same time they are subtler, and more stylized than most of the damascus blades I have seen. Me likey!

Can you give some more details about that steel before I fall out of my chair? :lol:

Not to mention that blade! It's gorgeous!

Is that damascus? Those lines are clearly not a reflection, but at the same time they are subtler, and more stylized than most of the damascus blades I have seen. Me likey!

Can you give some more details about that steel before I fall out of my chair? :lol:

Here are the description of the steel:

This carbon steel, supplied by the HITACHI company based in Yasugi, Japan, is made from high-quality iron sand using smelting methods similar to those used to make traditional sword steel. It has the highest purity of all the commercial steels used for forging tools and is commonly forge-welded to a wrought iron base to make high-quality tool blades and knives. Once hardened, the steel has an extremely fine-grained, martensitic structure that displays excellent sharpening properties.
Composition
"White Paper Steel" C 1.1 - 1.2%, Si 0.1 - 0.2%, P<0.025%, S< 0.004%

This carbon steel, supplied by the HITACHI company based in Yasugi, Japan, is made from high-quality iron sand using smelting methods similar to those used to make traditional sword steel. It has the highest purity of all the commercial steels used for forging tools and is commonly forge-welded to a wrought iron base to make high-quality tool blades and knives. Once hardened, the steel has an extremely fine-grained, martensitic structure that displays excellent sharpening properties.
Composition
"White Paper Steel" C 1.1 - 1.2&#37;, Si 0.1 - 0.2%, P<0.025%, S< 0.004%

Okay I have to admit that I understood very little of what was just posted, but it sounds cool, and more importantly, I think it is some of the hottest looking steel I have ever seen.

Are the "layers" that are visible in the steel all the same composition, or is the composition you just showed only the edge? I have never been able to wrap my head around steel that isn't all one color. Until I saw damascus straights, I didn't even connect the idea that multiple layers can be hammered/welded/forced together through the magic a blade smith works.

Composition
"White Paper Steel" C 1.1 - 1.2%, Si 0.1 - 0.2%, P<0.025%, S< 0.004%

This is Shirogami 2 White steel - very high quality stuff. It takes a very fine edge.

Are the "layers" that are visible in the steel all the same composition, or is the composition you just showed only the edge? I have never been able to wrap my head around steel that isn't all one color. Until I saw damascus straights, I didn't even connect the idea that multiple layers can be hammered/welded/forced together through the magic a blade smith works.

The steel I descriped is only the edge. This is the area that are darker. The more silver layers are from a softer steel. This layers, if I remember correct 8 on each site, is not to harden and so softer than the edge area. For this reason it is with this razor absolutely necessary to protect the back with tape, if you hone it.

Here is the description for the hole steel from the seller:

Japanese Multi-Layer Steel "Katana", "White Paper Steel"
finest grain, sharpest grade.

Close to the sword: Japanese Multilayer Steel "Katana"
For the first time, we are able to offer Japanese multilayer steel with a composition that comes close to that used frequently in Japanese swords (Katana). The high carbon core layer does only extend to the middle of the blade's profile. Multiple layers of softer steel folded on either side make this metal virtually unbreakable with excellent cutting properties. This type of construction also minimizes the risk of cracking during hardening. Usually the steel is forged further, but a blade can also be ground from the steel directly. The material is supplied unhardened; instructions for heat treatment included (final hardness 62 Rockwell).

The steel I descriped is only the edge. This is the area that are darker. The more silver layers are from a softer steel. This layers, if I remember correct 8 on each site, is not to harden and so softer than the edge area. For this reason it is with this razor absolutely necessary to protect the back with tape, if you hone it.

Here is the description for the hole steel from the seller:

Japanese Multi-Layer Steel "Katana", "White Paper Steel"
finest grain, sharpest grade.

Close to the sword: Japanese Multilayer Steel "Katana"
For the first time, we are able to offer Japanese multilayer steel with a composition that comes close to that used frequently in Japanese swords (Katana). The high carbon core layer does only extend to the middle of the blade's profile. Multiple layers of softer steel folded on either side make this metal virtually unbreakable with excellent cutting properties. This type of construction also minimizes the risk of cracking during hardening. Usually the steel is forged further, but a blade can also be ground from the steel directly. The material is supplied unhardened; instructions for heat treatment included (final hardness 62 Rockwell).

So it is multi layered, with the edge (and some of the other layers), having the hardest steel.

And yummy, 62 hardness! That edge has got to be awesome :w00t:.

I think it goes without saying anyone who owns such a beautiful blade would hone it using tape even if it wasn't required. Detracting from the beauty of that blade in any would be a heinous crime.

I tried linking directly to the pictures, but was unable. It is still on the site, in all its drool inducing glory. Sixth one down, right under the Barlow. And if you click on "Gallery," you will see why it is one of the first stops when I am in a razor buying mood.

Top Bottom