What's new

Bubbles in my lather

Recently, I upgraded from my trusty Omega boar brush to a nice silvertip badger brush. I got some good lathers with Tabac, but today I tried it with my Cella soap. I followed basically the same process as with the boar, but with the badger brush I got a lot of bubbles forming. The lather it produced was almost more like soap suds and dried out quickly on my face. About halfway though my shave I relathered with the boar and got a nice lather. Any idea whats going wrong?

I think that the bubbles indicate too much water in the brush, but I'm not sure. Your thoughts?

Nuclear Shaver

It's like the old joke about how to get to Carnegie Hall: Practice, man....practice. Sounds like too much water, but you'll figure it out soon enough. To me every brush performs differently.

Cella is like that when you have too much water. Bubbly like a milkshake! You gotta dig the cella and work it and when the mix is right you're laughing!

Badger brushes can hold onto more water than boar brushes. Clearly a case of too much water. Simply squeeze more water from the badger brush, and you should be fine.

Badger brushes can hold onto more water than boar brushes. Clearly a case of too much water. Simply squeeze more water from the badger brush, and you should be fine.

+1.

It doesn't take a lot of water in the brush to emulsify the top of the soap so the brush can get properly loaded. Water can be added bit by bit thereafter. I find this the easiest way to get to the perfect lather.

I followed basically the same process as with the boar, but with the badger brush I got a lot of bubbles forming.
As indicated above you'll probably want to adjust your technique with the badger since it will tend to retain more water. Have you read the lathering guide in the sticky at the top of the soap subforum? If I recall correctly, it assumes you're using a badger.

I think that badger brushes need to be loaded longer because they're softer than boar and "dig into" the soaps less.
So load the brush longer.
Maybe try the loading upside down trick.
And use less water as well.

Top Bottom