What's new

BST 50 "Quality Post" requirement

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Alas, I've probably been docked 1 quality post for questioning.
No, you can still use the BST but ...

No Mess Hall for you!
1666720642751.png
B&B is gentlemanly discourse centric with a solid marketplace that is just the cherry on top.
Personally I like the min 50 post to sell rule. It helps keep the place civilized.
Bingo
Homer Simpson?
1666720555846.png

I've seen in "Some Forums" in the past, people hanging around just watching for free stuff. Having a minimum post count for PIF's would slow that down a bit. Now, I know it's up to the person who is giving away the item to make the rules if any. And some people just want to part with stuff no matter what. It's just a way to keep the freebie grabbers away. Maybe a dedicated place to post the PIF's with the basic rules too so stuff grabbers would see and not want to hang around just for that.

I will be the first to say that I've won my share, if not more, PIF's. And I thank everyone who donated. This is just an idea to kick around up there behind the curtain in Mod Land.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I've seen in "Some Forums" in the past, people hanging around just watching for free stuff. Having a minimum post count for PIF's would slow that down a bit. Now, I know it's up to the person who is giving away the item to make the rules if any. And some people just want to part with stuff no matter what. It's just a way to keep the freebie grabbers away. Maybe a dedicated place to post the PIF's with the basic rules too so stuff grabbers would see and not want to hang around just for that.

I will be the first to say that I've won my share, if not more, PIF's. And I thank everyone who donated. This is just an idea to kick around up there behind the curtain in Mod Land.
I can guarantee that someone who has 80% of their posts saying "I'm in" will not be selected in any random draw that I make. The problem with forum rules is that it makes more work for the mods; the BST forum takes more time than any other, precisely because of the rules. The rules are very simple but I am amazed how often even long standing members cannot include a simple piece of paper with their username and date in their images, or they invite offers, or suggest non approved payment methods etc.

I can guarantee that someone who has 80% of their posts saying "I'm in" will not be selected in any random draw that I make. The problem with forum rules is that it makes more work for the mods; the BST forum takes more time than any other, precisely because of the rules. The rules are very simple but I am amazed how often even long standing members cannot include a simple piece of paper with their username and date in their images, or they invite offers, or suggest non approved payment methods etc.
Agreed. I’m not going to “fix” a PIF on any forum, but if the randomly drawn winner has next to no post history except “I’m in” in PIF threads, I am drawing again. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Buying from someone who just joined the forum or from someone who's not very active and known is a very tricky thing. I had the same problem a few years ago when I wanted to buy and sell some stuff. People didn't know who I was and the fact that I'm from Europe and not from the US or Canada like the majority of people and to some degree I understand the people who put ''CONUS only'' when they sell stuff.

After a while I've made quite a few friends who help me when I buy stuff from the US, Canada, Germany and England and without their help, I wouldn't have gotten 2/3 of my collection and not to mention that I've saved lots of money from shipping as well as avoiding to a large degree VAT and import taxes. This is the whole point of being in a forum, to have connection with people from all around the world and be able to help them if you can and in return, they might also be able to help you too.

Of course, you also have access to a lot of information and also very knowledgeable folks, but the help I get from time to time is really what I like the most about B&B.

The 50 post minimum BST rule seems about ideal from my perspective. It’s about trust and knowing that somebody you’re dealing with has an investment in the community and would stand to lose something if they acted wrongly in a transaction.

Like others here, I would usually expect far more than 50 posts before I considered buying from someone I don’t know, but there are also newer people who engage very positively on the forum and you can feel you know them well enough, so 50 is a reasonable minimum requirement to set.

As daunting as the 50 quality post number may seem, you'd be surprised how quickly you can achieve it. Commenting on a soap or a brush or a razor restore, and just sharing your experience is all that you have to do, and there are soooooo many threads to choose from. Even if you're only interested in *one thing*, you can indulge your deep dive and still have posts to spare.

The 50 post minimum BST rule seems about ideal from my perspective. It’s about trust and knowing that somebody you’re dealing with has an investment in the community and would stand to lose something if they acted wrongly in a transaction.

Like others here, I would usually expect far more than 50 posts before I considered buying from someone I don’t know, but there are also newer people who engage very positively on the forum and you can feel you know them well enough, so 50 is a reasonable minimum requirement to set.
+1

And yes, post count comes very easy if you have more time on your hands. I've seen people with over 5000 posts who joined just a few months ago.

Top Bottom