What's new

Brylcreem = brilliantine + cream

Well, I've recently started using Brylcreem. I've been a dedicated Wildroot (similar ingredients except it also has lanolin) user for a long time and it gives great results, however, I wanted to mix it up a little bit so the Brylcreem tube got broke back out of the grooming stash. I keep a tapered hair cut, long on top with a side part. My hair is dark and very thick so I like a grooming cream and military hair brush to tame it into shape everyday. Not unlike the gents below.

I love the scent and it gives a good, neat look with a good shine. However, I've found that my hair requires more than a "little dab." On the box they suggest a dab "just shy the size of a dime." I've tried that size and it leaves my hair a little dry still, with some fly aways. I find that about a quarter size grooms the best for my hair. I guess you could say for me...
"A big ole' dab'll do ya"

Even with a bigger dab I actually don't find it to be all that greasy.

Other Brylcreem users, how big is your dab? Below, I think the dabs aren't little either. Apparently you are supposed to use 2 brushes at the same time. There are many old advertisements that showed this.

Attachments

• $brylcreem200x200.gif
    21.5 KB · Views: 230
  • $Brylcreem_hair-brush2.gif
    $Brylcreem_hair-brush2.gif
    53.2 KB · Views: 234
  • $renaissance_4.jpg
    $renaissance_4.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 233
  • $bryl.jpg
    $bryl.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 229
I used the brylcreem once. Made my hair feel like I hadn't washed it in a week. I keep the tube around just in case I run out of lithium grease in the garage. My hairs not that thick though. I get good results from the groom and clean.

As I age, I find that my hair is getting more dry. I was using an olive oil 'hair grease' that I bought locally, but it is a product that was not designed for my ethnic background ( I am fish-belly white!). I could never find the right amount to use, and either ended up too dry or too greasy.

I have not used Brylcreem in many years. My grandfather had a stash, and when he passed in 1993, I inherited it. Evidently it was not ready for me yet! Recently, I placed an order with Bestshave.net and tried the Brilliantine. It works very well for me and smells very much like the Brylcreem I remember. I also use a dab the size of a quarter... will be buying some of the 'real deal' this weekend to try it again.

As for my hair, it is very thick. I use a scalp message type flat brush with plastic teeth that are about 1/4 inch long. After I shower, I apply the Brilliantine to my hair while still standing in the shower, massaging it in with the brush. I then will towel dry my hair and style it, allowing it to air dry.

About the two brush thing - um - I don't know. Seems like I would have to relearn some things, and I think my coordination curve would get me hurt somehow!

Just my 2 cents.

Regards,

Paul

Did you describe your hair just to make those of us who are "follicle challenged" feel badly about ourselves??!!:crying::wink2::wink2:

Haha, no absolutely not. I just really think the classic men's hair grooms are quality products that probably get overlooked by most men these days, which I think is a shame. Brylcreem really does a good job at managing hair and making it look good.

1950s television jingle:

Brylcreem, a little dab will do ya
Use more, only if you dare
But watch out, the gals will all persue yaaaaa
They'll love to get their fingers in your hair.

I have yet to try the two brush method, but I do use Brylcreem on a regular basis. I like it because it feels pretty light in my hair. I mix it up with Dax short and neat, depending on how i feel. My hair is fine but pretty dense and I find about a dab the size of a quarter keeps me going through the day without looking greasy.

...I use Groom and Clean. For the two weeks following a haircut, I can get away with a 1 inch squirt...after that though, I need more...I have thick hair that grows pretty quick...Brylcreem is too greasy for my tastes...Groom and Clean is dry, but keeps the hair controllable...to each his own though...

$Brylcream.jpg

Thanks OP!! I us to use this years ago and the smell was great. I don't like the new tube i like the old aluminum tube better. Thanks for making me impulse buy just now!!

This brings back memories of my dad (RIP). He always used Brylcreem (starting back in his teenage years, judging from old photographs). He would use a regular pocket comb to comb his hair back into a sort of low-profile pompadour.

Based on those pictures above, is this why vintage travel sets often have two brushes?
I always thought one of the brushes was a hair brush and the other a clothing brush. I was cleaning out an old box of junk today and found my "Brylcream knife"-it was a cheap folded pocket knife with a nail file with a hooked tip and a sheepsfoot type 1-1 1/4" blade-no spring or lock, just a rivet hinge allowing it to fold into the folded metal body. It came with a tube of brylcream as a marketing thing. Why do I think a product directed at younger males would no longer have such a prize?!

I use aloe gel in a pump bottle from CVS. This is what my barber uses on his clients. Good for the hair and scalp and provides just enough hold to keep your hair tame but no heavy or greasy feeling.

As for the two brush thing. It looks as if the brush is something you would use on your shoes or when grooming a horse.

I use aloe gel in a pump bottle from CVS. This is what my barber uses on his clients. Good for the hair and scalp and provides just enough hold to keep your hair tame but no heavy or greasy feeling.

As for the two brush thing. It looks as if the brush is something you would use on your shoes or when grooming a horse.

Haha. That's what I thought when I first saw one a few years back. It's called a military hair brush. It's the secret to getting that perfectly groomed look, if that's what you're going for. Put a grooming cream in your hair then run a military brush through it and you will have that Cary Grant-type look.

I've wanted to try aloe vera in my hair for a while now. Does it add any shine? Does it leave hair looking dry or wet?

Currently, my hair is really short but when it's longer I use Brylcreem pretty often. I use about a silver dollar sized amount right on the brush. The only complaint I have about Brylcreem, is that it doesn't feel right in the summer. I'm on the east coast USA and it's too hot and humid for hair groom IMO.

I use Brylcreem when my hair is still wet, right out of the shower, about a quarter size. I then comb it into a low profile pompadour. once my hair is dry, I apply a water soluble pomade, be it Monkey Brains, Layrite, or suavecito, depending on what scent I want that day. Then I re-pomp my hair into a higher pompadour. THEN, I hit it again with about a dime size amount of brylcreem for a nice sheen. Seems to do the trick for me, it honestly doesn't provide my hair type with any hold at all, but I love the shine it gives.

Top Bottom