What's new

Brut experiment

Okay. It has been a couple of days so I thought I would give you an update. Kristian sent me the vintage bottle to compare. The nitro musk seems to have done its work and that part has restored half of the base of the vintage correctly. However, the oakmoss just isn't as sweet as the vintage version.

I looked online and I think there is something missing: Sandalwood. That would explain the lack of sweetness in the base. My experimental Brut is probably close enough for government work, and I am sure formulations varied over the years. I can see sandalwood as being the first to go considering the product probably skyrocketed in price before about 1990.

Conclusion: modern Brut CAN be made to smell like vintage with added ingredients. I am just not there yet. I will order the Sandalwood soon and see what happens.

Okay. It has been a couple of days so I thought I would give you an update. Kristian sent me the vintage bottle to compare. The nitro musk seems to have done its work and that part has restored half of the base of the vintage correctly. However, the oakmoss just isn't as sweet as the vintage version.

I looked online and I think there is something missing: Sandalwood. That would explain the lack of sweetness in the base. My experimental Brut is probably close enough for government work, and I am sure formulations varied over the years. I can see sandalwood as being the first to go considering the product probably skyrocketed in price before about 1990.

Conclusion: modern Brut CAN be made to smell like vintage with added ingredients. I am just not there yet. I will order the Sandalwood soon and see what happens.
proxy.php

I ordered sandalwood and a synthetic Oakmoss to add to the mix. Hopefully the synth moss will make it a bit more "mossy". The tincture I ordered first is compliant with current regulations and lacks some power. Anyway, I still have half a vial or so to keep trying. The biggest win so far is with the musk ketone.

The endless supply of Vintage Brut will soon be a reality!

Excellent! Brut cologne was one of the first cologne's I used, in the late 70's. Would love to be able to re create it!

Excellent! Brut cologne was one of the first cologne's I used, in the late 70's. Would love to be able to re create it!
In case you've just tuned in, I am adding Oakmoss, Musk Ketone and Sandalwood; base notes basically. I believe they eliminated the base at some point after around 1990-2000. The rest of it smells the same as the current formula.

I did love the scent of Brut back in the 1970s, and I’m hoping you crack the code. New Brut is just not the same.

I did love the scent of Brut back in the 1970s, and I’m hoping you crack the code. New Brut is just not the same.
I'm optimistic. I am pretty good with scents and it's mostly there already. I think the sandalwood is gonna tie it all together. It really is amazing how much Brut has changed. They gutted it when they took out the base of the fragrance. It makes no sense. I guess they wanted to keep the price lower, but they turned it into something else entirely.

I like the smell of current Brut but unfortunately never smelled vintage Brut.

I am not a fan of current Old Spice and I loved the old formulation.... Can you work on that next? :)

I like the smell of current Brut but unfortunately never smelled vintage Brut.

I am not a fan of current Old Spice and I loved the old formulation.... Can you work on that next? :)
Vintage Brut had a very powerful base. The upper notes were pretty much what modern Brut is now, but after that faded, you were left with a sweet, musky, woody base that lingered very pleasantly for a while. I think cost and ingredient restriction was the reason it was removed. Oakmoss irritates some people's skin. Nitro musk lingered in the environment, mostly from detergent and soap scents in waste water. Sandalwood became very expensive because of deforestation and land development in places like India.

I would love to reformulate Old Spice. I would have to figure out what was in it and obtain a vintage sample, but I am sure it is doable. My next project is to resurrect Hai Karate, which I am most of the way there to completing. In fact, what is missing from Brut is probably what is missing from HK, possibly from Old Spice as well.

I'm optimistic. I am pretty good with scents and it's mostly there already. I think the sandalwood is gonna tie it all together. It really is amazing how much Brut has changed. They gutted it when they took out the base of the fragrance. It makes no sense. I guess they wanted to keep the price lower, but they turned it into something else entirely.
proxy.php

Alright, everybody. I think I've done it! The Sandalwood has really tied it together. I would still like to add a drop of vanilla to make it just a tad sweeter to match the vintage, but it so close that it takes some effort to tell which is which. I have three different versions I have made and will decide on the final recipe in a few days.

So far I have added:
1. Musk Ketone
2. Oakmoss tincture 10%
3. Sandalwood Givco 203 (synthetic)
4. Oakmoss Givco 214 (synthetic)

The weird thing is the synthetic oakmoss actually smells more like Oakmoss Absolute, the pure resin derived from the lichen. But when combined with the natural tincture, you get a more realistic oakmoss overall. It's fresh and dank at the same time. It lingers on and on. It is 90% Vintage Brut to say the least. Any of you could make this!

Now...as far as fixing old spice...that'll have to wait. I think that is a problem of dilution rather than reformulation. Adding a fixative like Musk Ketone may work, but without a vintage sample I don't have much hope of finding out. I have spent some funds getting Brut to smell better.

I have read that you can purchase Vi-John generic spice aftershave, heat it, evaporate some alcohol, then recombine it with a second bottle of aftershave. That'll get you close to Shulton Old Spice. But I haven't tried it and that stuff is disappearing. I don't know where to find it. Maybe it'll work with the regular P&G cologne?
It'll at least make the house smell like a man lives there!

Alright, everybody. I think I've done it! The Sandalwood has really tied it together. I would still like to add a drop of vanilla to make it just a tad sweeter to match the vintage, but it so close that it takes some effort to tell which is which. I have three different versions I have made and will decide on the final recipe in a few days.

So far I have added:
1. Musk Ketone
2. Oakmoss tincture 10%
3. Sandalwood Givco 203 (synthetic)
4. Oakmoss Givco 214 (synthetic)

The weird thing is the synthetic oakmoss actually smells more like Oakmoss Absolute, the pure resin derived from the lichen. But when combined with the natural tincture, you get a more realistic oakmoss overall. It's fresh and dank at the same time. It lingers on and on. It is 90% Vintage Brut to say the least. Any of you could make this!

Awesome!

Don't base your judgment on initial scent. Allow the ingredients to blend & mature before a final verdict.
I have blended quite a few fragrance oils with perfumer's alcohol. Some of them changed very much while others stayed basically the same as day one.

Top Bottom