What's new

Brut - An aftershave Faux Pas??

I've been around here a little over a year. Whenever someone asks for a suggestion on which aftershave to use, just about everything under the sun gets thrown out there from all the artisan makers, to all the typical drug store varieties(Aqua Velva, Skin Bracer, Old Spice, Clubman, etc.) But not once has anyone ever suggested Brut. In fact, I don't think I've even seen it mentioned more than a couple times in the last year.

So is it like some sort of sin to like the smell of Brut, or admit that you use it or something?
Or is it just really bad? I don't use it, but I kind of like the smell of it. To me it's in the same scent family as Clubman, I actually like it better than Clubman. Oh wait, maybe I shouldn't say that until I get some feedback. Maybe I'll be banned. :)

Just curious.

Real Men use Brut!..I've never had the pleasure of trying the original.My personal favourite of all the Brut A/S splash is Attraction Totale..'Be warned when you wear it though, the ladies will make passionate advances towards you'!:D..Brut has a love /hate thing. I love it. "KEEP THE SMELL OF BRUT ALIVE".

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
I don't use the Brut aftershave too much. I do like to use it when I travel. But I do use Brut deodorant frequently and when I am using Clubman, I like to match it with Brut Special Reserve Cologne Spray.

I use brut a lot and love it. I work with younger folks from time to time, meaning their 20's and they think it smells good and have never really heard of it.

Brut is awesome. My dad used it for many years so I have some very fond memories of it. I used my last bottle about 2 years ago. It's readily available so when I desire it I'll just buy some at my local supermarket.

When I think further about this, it occurs to me that every store around me that sells Old Spice, Aqua Velva, etc. also sells Brut. And you can get the Splash On, AS, and Cologne versions, though usually not all 3 at the same place. Somebody must be buying besides me.

Also, just an FYI to the Brut-lovers out there (maybe this is old news, but I haven't seen it on here): The Vi-Jon version of the after-shave smells better, but the real version has better longevity and skin feel. Similar to the reports on Old Spice. So I tried the trick of mixing the two, as commonly suggested for the OS, and it works for Brut too. Better scent, with decent longevity and skin feel.

I like it. Like the scent, like the post feel. I'll use it on occasion at home, but not to work. We already have "that guy" here whom splashes liberally, daily.

I love Brut -
I used to get a gift pack of Brut 33 Splash On every Christmas since the age of 13
I can still remember the late, great Henry Cooper saying "Nothing beats the great smell of Brut" and "Splash it on all over" in the TV adverts.

I'm an Elvis fan too - I read somewhere online that Elvis used to use Brut (and Hai Karate) on a regular basis, so if it ever comes up in conversation when I wear Brut I can casually mention that it was Elvis' aftershave of choice

I tried the Brut that is manufactured in Mexico for the USA market, but found the scent too "aniseedy" for my liking.
If you want to try Brut, I'd recommend the version that is manufactured in France for the European market

European Brut Original will always be in my aftershave rotation, not just because Henry Cooper advertised it or because Elvis Presley wore it - but because I love the smell of Brut
proxy.php

Last edited:
I love Brut -
I used to get a gift pack of Brut 33 Splash On every Christmas since the age of 13
I can still remember the late, great Henry Cooper saying "Nothing beats the great smell of Brut" and "Splash it on all over" in the TV adverts.

I'm an Elvis fan too - I read somewhere online that Elvis used to use Brut (and Hai Karate) on a regular basis, so if it ever comes up in conversation when I wear Brut I can casually mention that it was Elvis' aftershave of choice

I tried the Brut that is manufactured in Mexico for the USA market, but found the scent too "aniseedy" for my liking.
If you want to try Brut, I'd recommend the version that is manufactured in France for the European market

European Brut Original will always be in my aftershave rotation, not just because Henry Cooper advertised it or because Elvis Presley wore it - but because I love the smell of Brut
proxy.php
Well said, Sir.:thumbsup:

When I was in high school and college I enjoyed Brut, but I needed something cheap to cover a bad smell while my son had some extended medical treatments. Now when I smell Brut it's not pleasant to me, but Clubman isn't close enough in scent to bother me, so I still like Clubman.

As far as drug store AS goes, I like several Clubman scents, AQ Musk and vintage OS. I've never tried Brut. Someplaces I see it, it's the aftershave, and other places only have the "Splash-On".

What's the difference between Brut Aftershave and Brut Splash-On???

Top Bottom