What's new

Brut aftershave. Anyone using?

How's the scent for the original and musk?

And does the scent stay for long? My denim AS will vanish after awhile. And i hate the scent on the denim original but love the black one.

I bought a bottle of the new blend based on what I remember liking about the stuff I wore in the 80's. High note is very similar, but it soon departs from the vintage scent. Has was smells like wet barley scent that develops on the dry down and remains for duration. Maybe the cologne strength would be different? I ended up pouring the AS remnants down the drain.

Was going to make a comment about bell bottoms and Bee Gees, but considering how much I've worn, that's hypocritical.

Okay: Brut is a longer lasting scent than Old Spice, my go-to AS today. It has an strong anise overtone. Never tried the musk variety.

Be aware that some places sell Brut Splash-On for after shave. It's not. It's not formulated as an AS, and isn't quite cologne. Brut After Shave is a different critter.

I bought a bottle of the new blend based on what I remember liking about the stuff I wore in the 80's. High note is very similar, but it soon departs from the vintage scent. Has was smells like wet barley scent that develops on the dry down and remains for duration. Maybe the cologne strength would be different? I ended up pouring the AS remnants down the drain.
Probably not helpful for the environment.

Are we talking about the US version or the Uk blend. I have both new Brut AS and a 70's bottle. While the older does last a tadge longer the scents are ery much the same on application. Also the UK splash on is a stayer.

AA6BF65E-29C6-435D-9CEC-E41BAA11691C.jpeg
I love Brut. I've got three large vintage bottles from the "Faberge Lotion" era. In case I ever run out, I've got this on standby.

I liked Brut for about 1/2 of the bottle, then it was "meh" for me.
When I first tried Pinaud Clubman though, I thought that Brut was a cartoon version of Clubman.

I like brut, like @John Rose, I find brut the teenage version of the distinguished Pinuad Clubman. Been using brut since I was a boy, it just wasn’t Christmas without my brut gift set(1970’s). While recently shopping at a local surplus grocery found brut deodorant and cologne. Layering the deodorant, aftershave and cologne has been awesome! I have a large selection of vintage aftershave, but since my purchase I’ve worn it 5 days straight, lol.

Attachments

• 3179B622-F11C-49A2-B8D4-FD57BAC75612.jpeg
    3179B622-F11C-49A2-B8D4-FD57BAC75612.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 42
I don't notice a similarity between Brut and Clubman. Clubman doesn't have anise, and Brut doesn't dry down to a powder smell. To me, they are entirely different fragrances.

I don't notice a similarity between Brut and Clubman. Clubman doesn't have anise, and Brut doesn't dry down to a powder smell. To me, they are entirely different fragrances.
The comparison I would make is like apples to pears (different), versus apples to meatloaf (very different).
One odd thing I find is that Clubman smells a wee bit like fresh turnip for 10 seconds after I put it on. Brut, of course, does not.

At any rate, I wonder if Fabergé didn't look at the success of Clubman, then went about designing a scent that they thought would appeal to the same people, but not be so similar that Pineaud would claim some sort of infringement.

Last edited:
Brut is good stuff, but real easy to overdo it. A bottle used to last me a week or so in the '70s, now a LITTLE splash is good, haven't bought a new bottle in a while.

I used the Brut Cologne sold at Walmart in the plastic bottles. It was good stuff and close to the original as I remember but they changed it recently. The scent is weak and not what it used to be. I dumped the last bottle I bought and returned the 25.6 ounce bottle that suffered from the same problem.

Sad state of affairs. I love Brut

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Brut AS splash, Brut Deodorant and Brut Reserve Cologne spray makes for a great way to layer an excellent scent.

The Brut Reserve Cologne is a favorite.

Top Bottom