What's new

Brushless or full lather?

One use I have found for brushless cream is for those days when well after a shave I discover I missed a spot. If it bugs me enough do something about it, I apply a bit of VDH shave butter to the spot, re-shave, rub the butter in, and done. No mess, no bother.

LOL I have to wonder...is it just a macho thing to use a brush and have lather? If you get a better shave or just as good a shave using a brushless cream isn't buying a brush or a bunch of brushes a waste of money?

LOL I have to wonder...is it just a macho thing to use a brush and have lather? If you get a better shave or just as good a shave using a brushless cream isn't buying a brush or a bunch of brushes a waste of money?
It's well worth the $15 I spent on a Semogue brush. It is relaxing and helps prepare my beard for a good shave.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

I wouldn't say owning a brush is a waste of money. What I keep hearing in these forums is that the experience of applying lather is just as important as the shave itself. I never personally developed a particular attachment to lather, so I was open to trying a variety of methods. It just so happened that lather-less creme and/or oil...and mastering the use of my razor...produced better results. Stands to reason that guys who lather are satisfied with THEIR results. Whatever works...

Last edited:
I disagree that brush ownership is a waste of money, I mean of course it is "more" money, but not a waste.
For me it's as much about ritual and having time of the day dedicated just for me as it is about comfortable shaving I get after good prep. so it's always full lather for me.

A brush certainly makes a difference in the quality of the shave. I use soaps, creams, canned foam, brushless creams. I enjoy it all. The best shaves, however, are always those where I take my time and face lather a soap or a cream using a boar brush. Others of course will say synthetic or badger, but my point is that nothing prepares the beard or the skin as does a good brush.

A brush certainly makes a difference in the quality of the shave. I use soaps, creams, canned foam, brushless creams. I enjoy it all. The best shaves, however, are always those where I take my time and face lather a soap or a cream using a boar brush. Others of course will say synthetic or badger, but my point is that nothing prepares the beard or the skin as does a good brush.
Have you ever tried Cremo?

I love face lathering. I have tried brushless. I believe it is ok. I definitely do not look forward to using it. Cremo does smell nice. I'll stick to my brushes though.

I think the OP summed up his own question quite succinctly:

"...while the end results have been just as good as when I use regular creams, the experience itself is lacking."

It's ALWAYS about the experience. Personal preference. There are no magical powers within specific shaving utensils that render superior or inferior shaves. The skill of the person using said utensils determines the quality of shave.

More often than not we attribute our experience (or lack of) to something other that ourselves and find ourselves endlessly seeking satisfaction through wanting/needing/having/using/acquiring/performing a Particular This or That.

It's just SHAVING.

Whatever works for you is A-OK.
(Shrines are optional.)

Last edited:
I use ALL CREAMS "brush-less" (they work just as well as "brushless" creams).
They work better this way ("lather" is actually useless during shaving,LUBRICATION is what you actually need, and too much/too thick lather causes poor shaving results anyhow) .
Of course if looking like Santa Claus floats your boat and you enjoy the whole brush thing ritual (and time spent) be my guest :001_smile

+2
I do like to work up a lather, but on days when I'm in a hurry, I apply the cream brushless.
I have found that many creams do work better brushless, (e.g. Tabac) & almost all give better lubrication.

It seems to me that any cream -- or soap puck for that matter -- can be used brushless. Over the years back when I was a poor one brush guy I often didn't have a brush and just used my hands to build a lather. Not the most satisfying experience, but it got the job done. I had a couple of creams that were labeled "brushless" and I PiF'd them. They went on just like hand lotion or hair conditioner. No fun there. I realize the experience of face lathering a cream with a brush is one of life's little pleasures.

Top Bottom