What's new

Brushless or full lather?

I was looking through the stash of creams and soaps today and realized that I've got a few that are brushless which have hardly ever been used. I don't know about you all but there is something about building a lather that is part of the enjoyment of a shave for me, and I experience a childlike glee in wiping off of swaths of lather mixed with whiskers during the shave. I've used brushless creams a few times, and while the end results have been just as good as when I use regular creams, the experience itself is lacking.

What about you? Do you have any brushless creams in your rotation, and is there anything about them in particular that appeals to you?

The only use that I can imagine for a brushless cream would be for shaving while traveling, when you don't have a brush in your bag. Shaving with a brush is much better, not just for the reason you mentioned, but for the fact that a brush does a better job of creating lather, working it into the beard, and scrubbing the skin, than your hands would.

Makes no difference for me but I reach for soaps more frequently. My brushless creams go with me for travel or if I'm in a big hurry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have one brushless for my wife. All the ones I use are to be used with a brush. I enjoy working up a lather.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Actually went with Cremo alone for the first time today. Usually, I use it as a lubricant. Did a fine job. Second pass, though, I applied a lather of Mitchell's. Lather is good for visually tracking your strokes.

I like it all. Soaps, lather creams, brushless, I even have a select few canned foams. I like Barbasol brushless. A link to shaving history.

Lather tends to dry my face out. Not particularly good for me as I pass the razor over my face multiple times to acquire the smoothness I like. For me, the slickness of Cremo is preferable.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

Im not a fan of brushless. For me, a big part of the fun of wet shaving is whipping up the lather with my brush. Not to mention, Ive tried a couple brushless creams and wasnt all that impressed with their performance. I really wanted to like Cremo but it was a big, fat bust with me.

Brushless cream works. It will effectively lubricate your face so you can shave without irritation. But really, shaving without the pleasure of brushing up a nice lather is like going on a date without a goodnight kiss.

the last brushless cream I enjoyed was Noxzema in the jar. that stuff was awesome. now I prefer a lather, the thicker the better.

Brushless cream works. It will effectively lubricate your face so you can shave without irritation. But really, shaving without the pleasure of brushing up a nice lather is like going on a date without a goodnight kiss.
Exactly. I couldn't have said it any better.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Each to his(or her) own, but I would feel that the shave is incomplete without one of my brushes being involved. I really enjoy the face time with a shaving brush!

That's fine, I guess...

...if all you wanted was a goodnight kiss.

Last edited:
What about you? Do you have any brushless creams in your rotation, and is there anything about them in particular that appeals to you?

I use ALL CREAMS "brush-less" (they work just as well as "brushless" creams).
(I use canned shaving foam for my daily shaves but when I travel I use either shaving oil or a small tube of shaving cream)

They work better this way ("lather" is actually useless during shaving,LUBRICATION is what you actually need, and too much/too thick lather causes poor shaving results anyhow) .

Of course if looking like Santa Claus floats your boat and you enjoy the whole brush thing ritual (and time spent) be my guest :001_smile

Last edited:
I use ALL CREAMS "brush-less" (they work just as well as "brushless" creams).
(I use canned shaving foam for my daily shaves but when I travel I use either shaving oil or a small tube of shaving cream)

They work better this way ("lather" is actually useless during shaving,LUBRICATION is what you actually need, and too much/too thick lather causes poor shaving results anyhow) .

Of course if looking like Santa Claus floats your boat and you enjoy the whole brush thing ritual (and time spent) be my guest :001_smile
Well said.

You don't shave with a straight, I assume. With a naked edge, a bit of cushion is a good thing, fyi.

I have Trader Joe's brushless cream. I use it when I need to do a quick one pass in the shower or when traveling. Otherwise, lather for me, please.

Top Bottom