What's new

Brushes: what sparked your obsession?

For me it's like food. One day you want to eat a steak with salads. The following a good lasagna. What dish is better?
Same happen with brushes. One day you want to enjoy a superb shaving cream and choose a two band badger brush. The following, a nice hard soap, and you choose a boar brush. Both offer different nice experiences, not comparable in between, like a steak and lasagna.

For me it's like food. One day you want to eat a steak with salads. The following a good lasagna. What dish is better?
Same happen with brushes. One day you want to enjoy a superb shaving cream and choose a two band badger brush. The following, a nice hard soap, and you choose a boar brush. Both offer different nice experiences, not comparable in between, like a steak and lasagna.

I do not mind eating leftovers, but I refuse to eat them the day following the first meal. I follow a similar procedure with soaps and brushes. I never use the same ones two days in a row. Variety is good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Is it possible to have an anti-obsession? If so, that is what I have with brushes.

They are a begrudging purchase for me. I don't want them all to be varied, but they are. I don't vary them often, but when I do, it's not always through need or boredom, but annoyance of owning something that's not being used. I don't give away the extras, as I do want a scrubby brush in case I get an ingrown hair that needs freeing, or feel my face needs a deeper clean to shift build up from previous products. I also want that spare brush in case either of my primary two bites the dust for any reason, as well as that one in the travel case, so I don't risk leaving any of my other brushes at home.

I like varying my blades, but not my razor. I like varying my soaps, but begrudge the fact that different brushes might get the best results from each one. If I could wave a magic wand, I would love it if every brush ever made was identical, so I don't have to entertain the thought that maybe my lather would have been better today, had I used a different brush. However, as I do know that brushes make a difference, I do have to find out which of my brushes work best with that particular product. I also cannot just go to one brush, because I'd be wondering which of the brushes I got rid of, I should have kept instead, to get the best results with each new soap I try.

See what I mean about anti-obsession? I only used to have one, and knew no better. Now I have multiples, I have discovered there is one more variable than I want, but still want to manage that variable as best I can. Brushes are for me, the least enjoyable part of the shave kit. Until I actually need that really scrubby brush to fix up a problem, then they are wonderful. However, I don't want that level of scrub every shave....

At least I have something that I can palm some blame onto, if I start using a new soap, and don't get the results I want straight away :p

My first high-end badger. I'd owned several lower end silvertips, and none of them came close to my synthetics. Then I got an Oumo Manchurian and all bets were off. Along with a Maggards SHD and Declaration B9A+, I'm now done. Synthetics work just as well as high-end badgers, but aren't as luxurious

Top Bottom