What's new

Brushes for travel, your favorites? Cases?

No shaving compromise for me. Before Covid hit I used to travel internationally up to 40-45 weeks a year, so I had to bring my A-game with me

I typically travel with 2 brushes, of which one boar that is used on the last day of travel, so no worries about keeping it a bit damp. The other one is whatever I feel like, even a Simpsons Manchurian (they dry faster than Best or Super badgers)

I always take them on my carry-on backpack when flying to keep them safe. When traveling by car/rail I sometimes even take an extra soap/razor/AS to rotate

I carry my small/medium sized brushes inside a Simpsons original red box (carton beats plastic as it allows free air flow within), while for larger brushes I use a Muehle plastic tube

Last edited:
My travel tube is one of the tubes I ship my brushes out; use it now for some 7 years. Drilled a couple holes in top and bottom. And for travel brush, I use a RV Shaving with a Muehle 19 mm STF knot. In my opinion, travel brushes are best made from synthetic materials that does not adsorb much water like animal hair. Forgot my badger tavel brush once, and it took on a moldy smell.
I have a beautiful Rudy Vey brush that I picked up in the Sue Moore auction a few years ago. Muhle black fibre with a short faux ivory handle. A great performer and travels well in a pill bottle with holes.

I have not traveled in a while, but I like to use an inexpensive synthetic brush.

Since it is inexpensive, I am not concerned if I happen to lose it.

Since synthetic fibers do not absorb water into the structure of the fiber, they dry quickly. Natural brushes absorb water and take many hours to dry, so you may have to pack a damp brush, which is not ideal.

My ‘travel’ brush is Simpsons Wee Scot which fits nicely in a plastic pill bottle! :thumbup: :thumbup:

I also use the Wee Scot (small is beautiful, anything larger is superfluous) both at home and for travel, transporting it in an old soft plastic vitamin C tablet container with holes drilled in the cap and bottom (much smaller and lighter than the smallest Simpsons brush travel tube/storage container).

My travel brush going forward will be the Omega 599. It's a wee little thing but its pretty much been my daily driver since I got it.

IMG_20210418_085534816~3.jpg

My travel brush going forward will be the Omega 599. It's a wee little thing but its pretty much been my daily driver since I got it.

View attachment 1260926

I love the size and portability of these and traveled with it for a good while. I just found the pures to be just too prickly for my taste even after fully broken in. I even considered clipping the pures low enough to never feel them, but refused to spend that kind of time on it. that's why I really like the 40033. even bigger, perfect face feel and backbone, packs slightly larger but well worth that tiny tradeoff (and cheeper too, with slightly better performance).

I tried drilling out the 599 to seat a slivertip knot but destroyed the handle in the process, their epoxy is strong. the ergonomics/performance of that brush are fantastic for the packing size.

I love the size and portability of these and traveled with it for a good while. I just found the pures to be just too prickly for my taste even after fully broken in. I even considered clipping the pures low enough to never feel them, but refused to spend that kind of time on it. that's why I really like the 40033. even bigger, perfect face feel and backbone, packs slightly larger but well worth that tiny tradeoff (and cheeper too, with slightly better performance).

I tried drilling out the 599 to seat a slivertip knot but destroyed the handle in the process, their epoxy is strong. the ergonomics/performance of that brush are fantastic for the packing size.
The prickly thing has been my experience with most badgers but I've found both the 599 and 615 (same knot) to be beautifully soft without any prickly-ness at all.

The prickly thing has been my experience with most badgers but I've found both the 599 and 615 (same knot) to be beautifully soft without any prickly-ness at all.

I’ve only ever found pures to be prickly or too scritchy. Every other grade of badger has been pleasant to me. The 599? Almost needle like initially, and never satisfactory to me. Different strokes and whatnot. I’m glad you enjoy yours.

edit: I just realized, I’m conflating this one with the mixed midget, which I was unhappy with. My apologies.

I’ve only ever found pures to be prickly or too scritchy. Every other grade of badger has been pleasant to me. The 599? Almost needle like initially, and never satisfactory to me. Different strokes and whatnot. I’m glad you enjoy yours.

edit: I just realized, I’m conflating this one with the mixed midget, which I was unhappy with. My apologies.
Hehe, I was about to say how YMMV strikes again 🙂

Top Bottom