What's new

Brush with strong backbone

I don't think I want to pay that much for a brush, at least for now until I get better with the wet shaving. I have not yet tried a scrubby brush, but I know for sure that I don't like the two that I got because I feel they collapse too easily (if this is a correct description).

Could be wrong but don't think I've ever read anyone describing Semogue SOC's of being floppy. Right now there's three to choose from a boar, mixed boar and badger, or badger. The most expensive is the 2-Band Badger at $60 to your door and they come in cherry or ash.

My favorite brush is one of these, but it's not for everyone.

I started wet shaving a year ago and like you, have been on the hunt for "my kind of brush". I started out with a cheap badger that I thought was cool. Then ordered a cheap synthetic that I couldn't figure out until I started bowl lathering. Then decided to go fancy and get a silvertip maseto. This helped me find that my first cheap badger had alot of scritch. It took a little breaking in, but became my favorite brush for face lathering soaps. Then decided to give synthetics another shot so got a timberwolf on one of Wild West Brushworks handles. Fell in love with that but it is so different than the silvertip that I like using both and one is not better than the other for me. When people talk about the heat of a warm badger vs a synthetic I don't get it. Maybe my silvertip doesn't hold heat well but theres only a tiny bit more heat from soaking the badger vs timberwolf. Now I decided to try a two band so I ordered from Maseto again (on ebay) but in a 2 band. I have a nice handle I'm holding onto from that darn rob for when i figure out which type of knot I love best. But I think it will take me a while haha.

You are on a quest that you may never resolve. Try this, try that, and your collection continues to grow. My collection numbers over 50 and I have many brushes I really enjoy, but that doesn't stop me from making or buying more. I'm at the point now where I choose the soap according to the brush I want to use or choose the soap according to the soap I want to use.

Welcome to the addiction.

I suspect what you are looking for is a Finest badger (including Two Band, High Mountain, and Manchurian). Probably a 22 mm or 24 mm. Personally I'm addicted to Silvertip but also really enjoy Finest.

I will check those out. I had to google "finest" since I initially thought it was the top of the line but I think it is not exactly that :)

A shavemac d01 2 band has more backbone than any other brush I have tried. Still breaking it in I guess

Very generally speaking there are four levels of quality of badger knots. Pure is the lowest. It only means that it is pure badger but nothing more. Actually there are lower ones when badger is mixed with boar or other materials. One of the more common problems with pure is that it usually is trimmed to length making the ends rather pokey and scratchy. This settles down some in use but it takes a while. Black badger is almost always the in this category too.

Best is the next level. This can include grey and blond. Often it is also the typical three band. Often best is a little scrichy (related to scratchy and scrubby). It is usually very sturdy and makes a good utility brush.

Finest is the next level. Finest is usually two band. That is the the dark middle band is very wide and sometimes the narrow light bottom band isn't visible. Finest tends to have a thinner shaft that best but still had good backbone and tends to have soft tips that approach the face feel of Silvertip. Finest often includes those labeled as Two Band, High Mountain, and Manchurian. Because of the stiffer backbone some users prefer this category above all others.

Silvertip is generally considered the highest level. Only about 15% of pelt qualifies, It is from the area around the color and is the softest of all. There is a two band silvertip that lacks the backbone of finest.

Some claim that pelts harvested from the mountainous areas of Asia are a bit different and thus the names Manchurian and High Mountain. High Mountain White is still a different category. It is essentially a silvertip from those pelts. Some find it to be the very highest level of badger. I like it, but not enough to pay the high premium it commands. In my use it falls somewhere between finest and silvertip.

As I said before I'm addicted to silvertip and but I'm gaining respect for finest.

Generally I recommend finest for beginners as silvertip is a bit more tender and prone in damage.

Other opinions will vary.

Are these brush brands? What does M&F stand for? Apologies for my newbiness!
It's all good. They are brands. They share many of the same handle shapes. M&F is Morris and Forndran. They are known for having knots by a man named Lee Sabini who also owns the rights to the name. Currently Brad Sears makes the handles and Lee provides the knots. He also owned Rooney for a while so at one time the two brands were both getting similar knots. Rooney's history also goes back way before that. For what it's worth, the current M&F brushes are expensive, but excellent, with strong backbone, soft tips, and beautifully shaped (and dense) knots.

Last edited:
Very generally speaking there are four levels of quality of badger knots. Pure is the lowest. It only means that it is pure badger but nothing more. Actually there are lower ones when badger is mixed with boar or other materials. One of the more common problems with pure is that it usually is trimmed to length making the ends rather pokey and scratchy. This settles down some in use but it takes a while. Black badger is almost always the in this category too.

Best is the next level. This can include grey and blond. Often it is also the typical three band. Often best is a little scrichy (related to scratchy and scrubby). It is usually very sturdy and makes a good utility brush.

Finest is the next level. Finest is usually two band. That is the the dark middle band is very wide and sometimes the narrow light bottom band isn't visible. Finest tends to have a thinner shaft that best but still had good backbone and tends to have soft tips that approach the face feel of Silvertip. Finest often includes those labeled as Two Band, High Mountain, and Manchurian. Because of the stiffer backbone some users prefer this category above all others.

Silvertip is generally considered the highest level. Only about 15% of pelt qualifies, It is from the area around the color and is the softest of all. There is a two band silvertip that lacks the backbone of finest.

Some claim that pelts harvested from the mountainous areas of Asia are a bit different and thus the names Manchurian and High Mountain. High Mountain White is still a different category. It is essentially a silvertip from those pelts. Some find it to be the very highest level of badger. I like it, but not enough to pay the high premium it commands. In my use it falls somewhere between finest and silvertip.

As I said before I'm addicted to silvertip and but I'm gaining respect for finest.

Generally I recommend finest for beginners as silvertip is a bit more tender and prone in damage.

Other opinions will vary.

Many thanks Jim for that excellent info.

It's all good. They are brands. They share many of the same handle shapes. M&F is Morris and Forndran. They are known for having knots by a man named Lee Sabini who also owns the rights to the name. Currently Brad Sears makes the handles and Lee provides the knots. He also owned Rooney for a while so at one time the two brands were both getting similar knots. Rooney's history also goes back way before that. For what it's worth, the current M&F brushes are expensive, but excellent, with strong backbone, soft tips, and beautifully shaped (and dense) knots.

Thanks much Pat. Very useful. I didn't expect that there were so much to learn about brushes! Cheers.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Hello folks

Long time lurker and first time poster here.

I have picked up DE shaving recently after many years of cartridge shave. I enjoy the wet shave and have tried many different soaps and read the how-to posts.

I think my challenge now lies in the brush. I have tried two so far (badger from art of shaving, and synthetic from Maggard) but I feel they are too flimsy.

Could you kindly suggest a brush that has a substantial backbone please?

Thanks in advance.

Are you interested only in badgers?

Are you interested only in badgers?

No at all. Of the two I have (badger from Art of Shaving and Razorock Monster synthetic) I like the synthetic more! although I think both are too flimsy. The synthetic I have didn't shed one single hair whereas the badger sheds like gang buster! I know this couldn't probably be generalized but this is just my (very limited) experience.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
No at all. Of the two I have (badger from Art of Shaving and Razorock Monster synthetic) I like the synthetic more! although I think both are too flimsy. The synthetic I have didn't shed one single hair whereas the badger sheds like gang buster! I know this couldn't probably be generalized but this is just my (very limited) experience.

MiixedMidget.MightyMidget.ProrasoPro.480.4-20-19.JPG

I don't particular like the brush on the far left which is a Mixed Midget but it is a lather monster. The middle brush (mine has 3 #13 O Rings added) is the Mighty Midget (Omega). The brush on the far right is Omega's Proraso Pro. Both of these Omega's have great backbone.

10-21-19.ERN.DB.Jade.Kit.640.JPG

The brush pictured is the old version of Connaught's Premium Omega boar (the newer ones don't have the medallion). It has loads of backbone.

11-4-19.MWF.Wade.copperManchurian.640.JPG

This Zenith Manchurian has more backbone than anything because it's a transplant.

Backbone.Dino..jpeg

I've not acquired a Zenith silvertip badger but I hear great things about their backbones and will eventually get one.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Don't give up on badgers. You can very easily do better than that Art of Shaving brush and probably for less money. Watch the Buy Sell Trade section on here. The members tend to have large rotations so the brushes they sell are often like new.

Some have reported that Art of Shaving has replaced shedding brushes even if it is a few years old. It is worth asking. The top of the line Art of Shaving is a Silvertip. A soft Silvertip at that.

Some have reported that Art of Shaving has replaced shedding brushes even if it is a few years old. It is worth asking. The top of the line Art of Shaving is a Silvertip. A soft Silvertip at that.

OK. I will check with the store and see what they have to say.

Don't give up on badgers. You can very easily do better than that Art of Shaving brush and probably for less money. Watch the Buy Sell Trade section on here. The members tend to have large rotations so the brushes they sell are often like new.

Good idea. I will check that section in the forum and see what is offered.

Top Bottom