What's new

Brush with strong backbone

Gentlemen,

I thought of providing a quick update. I decided to try some of the brushes you have so kindly recommended. So, I got myself the Yaqi Red Marble Handle Tuxedo Synthetic, and the Omega #10048 Boar. O.M.G!!! what a drastic improvement to my overall shaving experience this has provided! a number of the shaving soaps that I thought sucked, are now lathering like there is no mañana!!

The downside is that now that I tried more functional brushes, I feel like an addiction starting to develop. So, while my beard is grateful to all y'all, my pocket book may not be :)

Cheers and safe happy thanksgiving to all.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Gentlemen,

I thought of providing a quick update. I decided to try some of the brushes you have so kindly recommended. So, I got myself the Yaqi Red Marble Handle Tuxedo Synthetic, and the Omega #10048 Boar. O.M.G!!! what a drastic improvement to my overall shaving experience this has provided! a number of the shaving soaps that I thought sucked, are now lathering like there is no mañana!!

The downside is that now that I tried more functional brushes, I feel like an addiction starting to develop. So, while my beard is grateful to all y'all, my pocket book may not be :)

Yes, but you've only scratched the surface. There are better brushes mentioned in this thread, but you won't know that for sure until you try some more.

Enablers R Us employee of the month.jpg

There's a reason I win this month after month, but...

The statement, "He who dies with the most shaving gear wins!" is not true.

You do not have to follow the well traveled path (although I highly recommend it).

If that doesn't confuse you, you should be a BOSC inmate.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Variety is the spice of life, as I like to say! :devil:

Avoiding acquisition disorder is difficult, but possible. Try to enjoy your new things for awhile before getting more. There will always be new things out there to be curious about and tempt you.

Gentlemen,

If you think you Omega 10048 is good now, just wait until you have used it for a while and the tips are fully broken in. I have a 10098 (same knot, different handle) and the tips are as soft as my premium badger brushes. What else could you want in a brush that only costs $15.

If you think you Omega 10048 is good now, just wait until you have used it for a while and the tips are fully broken in. I have a 10098 (same knot, different handle) and the tips are as soft as my premium badger brushes. What else could you want in a brush that only costs $15.

intriguing! looking forward to this development.

intriguing! looking forward to this development.

If you continue to use the brush for several weeks, the tips will split by themselves. There are some methods involving ice water and very hot (not boiling) water than people have used to speed up the process. If you are interested, search the treads on breaking in boar brushes.

If you continue to use the brush for several weeks, the tips will split by themselves. There are some methods involving ice water and very hot (not boiling) water than people have used to speed up the process. If you are interested, search the treads on breaking in boar brushes.

Thanks Ray. Will check it out.

So, how can I join Wet Shavers Anonymous? :001_smile
It probably sounds funny, but people here voluntarily join in on "sabbaticals" and "restraints" to avoid falling prey to the acquisition disorders and to focus on other things. Others banish themselves from the forums to avoid temptation.

A sabbatical is sounding pretty good to me right now and 2020 is coming up soon. 💡

It probably sounds funny, but people here voluntarily join in on "sabbaticals" and "restraints" to avoid falling prey to the acquisition disorders and to focus on other things. Others banish themselves from the forums to avoid temptation.

A sabbatical is sounding pretty good to me right now and 2020 is coming up soon. 💡

sounds like a plan. I will cancel my psychiatrist appointment for the time being and put my membership in the WSA on hold :cool:

I have collections of straight razors, razor hones, razor strops, DE razors, DE razor blades, soaps and after shave products. I have sufficient supplies to shave for the rest of my life and beyond.

I still have a new linen strop and a couple of new soaps arriving after Thanksgiving which my wife will intercept upon arrival to save for Christmas. It is getting to the point, where my acquisition disorders no longer have the hold upon my wallet that they once did. Thus, I may at lease start 2020 with a sabbatical. However, if some wonderful new products are released, my sabbatical may go the way of most new year's resolutions.

This is exactly the kind of temptation I need to resist :)
Keep an eye out on the BST here and definitely at the shave nook as well. A paladin chief just sold for $99 over there. I missed out on aN $89 tHAter myself. I got my el dorado there for $125. Absolutely worth it.

Keep an eye out on the BST here and definitely at the shave nook as well. A paladin chief just sold for $99 over there. I missed out on aN $89 tHAter myself. I got my el dorado there for $125. Absolutely worth it.

Will do. Problem is, I don't know which ones are good, unless they were listed in the suggestions kindly provided to me in this thread.

omega vs semogue wich one uses thicker hairs/bristles?

I have both. I am not certain there is a difference in the thickness of the bristles. However, Omega and Semogue use completely different processes for the boar bristle. Some people prefer Omega; some prefer Semogue. For my lathering technique, I prefer the Omega. I have an Omega 10098 Professional brush. I broke in the tips of the brush using hot water just below the boiling point. That allowed the tips to split nicely leaving a very soft face feel, but retaining all of the original stiffness of the boar bristles. I tried a similar process on the Semogues, but because they process the bristles differently, it did not work the same way. Once broken in, my $15 Omega boar brush is as soft as some premium silvertip badger brushes costing 10 times as much.

Top Bottom