What's new

Brush with a Beard-small or large?/Simpson Wee Scot or Commander X3?

Greetings!
I have a trimmed beard, and will probably keep it for a long time. Should I therefor get a brush with a smaller knot?

I have been using a cheap brush which I think has a knot of 20mm, and I am awaiting delivery on two Simpson brushes: the Commander X3, and the Wee Scot. The X3 has a knot of 24mm, while the Wee Scot has a know of 19mm.

I am wondering if the smaller knot will give me more control and be easier to use. I shave the area above my beard, which is not much, and below my beard (neck). I can always use the Wee Scot as a travel brush (when travel resumes), but really want to know if I should get/keep the larger Commander.

HELP! I know this is somewhat subjective but would appreciate advice from my wise elders.

0F56C0A8-5AC6-46EC-8001-859447A6A828.jpeg
46E5C1DC-115D-448A-ACD2-497006AABBE9.jpeg

I have only ever used 1 brush. I know nothing really about them. No idea what size mine is. I can say this. As I was smearing half my beard full of lather trying to get the small spots on my cheeks above my beard and below my eyes....I thought "I wonder if I would be happier with a smaller brush". So we will both wait and see what the "elders" have to say.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
I have owned plenty of Simpson brushes and the Wee Scot at 13mm is a fabulous brush for every day use in my opinion. It is far from just a travel brush or even a novelty item, and I use one often. I would say it is ideal for your requirements for the precise application of lather. The Commodore at 24mm is still a relatively small brush by modern standards and probably easier to handle than the Wee Scot. Either will be fine for your needs and in typical B&B style I would buy them both 👍

I have never used a Wee Scot, but own a Commodore X3. I shave my whole face, and still prefer a smaller knot with more precision and control. More knot width and loft = a larger overall diameter when splayed. Having said that, the Commodore is overkill if you ask me, I don't use mine anymore preferring the Duke 2 and Commodore X2, which are both very similar with the nod going to the Duke for comfort and lather quantity. But again, I shave my whole face, so these 2 are still overkill for your needs.

I love using my Berkeley 46 the most for precision and control, the only tradeoff being a little comfort, since it is a little on the scrubby side. The Wee Scot would probably do you well, but you can get a marginally larger Simpsons for practically the same price, like the Case for example.

Last edited:
The Wee Scott is an excellent brush but it is very small. Regardless of how small you expect it to be, it will be even smaller. It is super tiny.

It is a great travel brush but can be used every day as it holds a suprising amount of lather.

I dont have a beard, but the Wee Scott would likely be perfect for those that do. It is easy to maneuver and be precise.

If you buy it and decide you want something bigger, you now have a great travel brush. 👍

Small/narrow works well with my beard. I like accuracy and control in face lathering and in painting on bowl lather.

I use a mixed midget as a travel brush. I also use a number of 16mm and 18mm boar knots in custom and reknotted handles. My Simpson Duke 1 is a nice small size as well.

Most pre-WW2 vintage brushes have knots narrower than the 24mm that seems standard these days.

When I make custom handles, I also set my knots deep to limit the bloom.

Thanks for the quick and considered feedback (I can’t believe how many quality answers I received within a couple of hours!). Also I am surprised that everyone was unanimous in recommending a smaller brush.
I chose the...WEE SCOT. After a few uses I find that the Wee Scot does give good, precise control over my neck and cheek lines. I am currently re-shaping my beard so 100% precision isn’t critical right now, but I really do like the smaller brush.

I might still get a larger brush (like a Commander X2 or X3) and relegate the Wee Scot to travel use, but am in no hurry right now. Also, I am amazed but the Wee Scot really does fit into a pill container!

Thanks for the quick and considered feedback (I can’t believe how many quality answers I received within a couple of hours!). Also I am surprised that everyone was unanimous in recommending a smaller brush.
I chose the...WEE SCOT. After a few uses I find that the Wee Scot does give good, precise control over my neck and cheek lines. I am currently re-shaping my beard so 100% precision isn’t critical right now, but I really do like the smaller brush.

I might still get a larger brush (like a Commander X2 or X3) and relegate the Wee Scot to travel use, but am in no hurry right now. Also, I am amazed but the Wee Scot really does fit into a pill container!
B80CF884-6536-4968-AFA5-96C9E989B411.jpeg
B80CF884-6536-4968-AFA5-96C9E989B411.jpeg

Top Bottom