What's new

Brush stand

Before my retirement, I was a semiconductor engineer and later a teacher. I would go into my workshop to unwind. It's a great hobby. Many people have told me that I could make money with what I do or want to buy my stuff, but I would never do that. Once you accept money, it becomes a job.

I like this design on etsy. I would make it with cypress, and fill the bottom with lead shot:
Screen Shot 2022-11-22 at 6.51.06 PM.jpg

Wow! I wish I found this thread before starting my project, although it likely wouldn't have deterred me ;-)

So, some 5 weeks into surfing this forum, I’m already up to two brushes – not including the beat up badger brush my wife gifted me. Never one to leave well enough alone, I had trouble finding a brush stand that fit all my criteria. I found several that were really close, but unfortunately had the wrong size “slot”.

It was time to roll my own.

I started with a quick and dirty, proof of concept – to test what size “u-slot” would work. 30mm was ideal for both my Mühle STF Classic XL, as well my AP Shaveco 22mm Blue Lagoon. The inherited badger is rather tiny, and is for the most part, a place holder.

I feared I’d have to source parts individually for this project, but in a random search, I came across “barbell pedestals” made of acrylic. The 4.5” diameter was nearly perfect (I would have preferred 5”). This is what I’m referring to: Clear Acrylic Round Barbell Pedestal Display Riser

The first prototype was made from some scrap acrylic I had lying around (doesn’t everyone?), and a small scrap of maple. It doesn’t look as if I can squeeze razors onto this“final” stand (5” diameter would have been ideal), but apart from that, it’s working fine.

Hopefully, that Wald A1 I’ve been eyeing will fit without further modifications ;-)

... Thom

The Proof of Concept:

Brush_Stand_Prototype.jpg

First "Production" Version:

Brush_Stand_1st_Gen.jpg

Last edited:
It’s on their website. First item when you shop for brushes….

Ok I was looking at the US website.

Top Bottom