What's new

Brush stand recommendations

Looking for a second brush stand. I rotate brushes through the one stand, but just acquired another nice one that deserves its own. I prefer that it hang by the handle, not around the knot. What are your ideas?
Thank you.

Are you sure you want a stand?

I've never used one. After the shave I thoroughly shake out any obvious moisture from the rinsed brush, and then wipe it a few times of a dry towel. I then stand up the brush vertically on its handle for final drying. I've used badger brushes and this drying method for over 30 years, and I've never had any moisture or mildew problems on the brushes I've owned. I use one badger brush, and a single badger brush typically will last me 15 years or so. A brush wears out only from physical lathering against my coarse whiskers, and the knot gradually becomes shorter and shorter.

So far, I do the same method as Steve.. the wiping on a dry towel seems to take out most of the water and moisture ..

But I would like a brush stand so that I can hang up by 6 brushes..

For what it is worth, here are my $0.02. When I started, I bought a stand for each new brush.

After awhile I realized that my brushes dry just fine sitting on their handles. My stands are now in the basement.

I have one stand in the bathroom that I use for the brush and razor of the day. Once dry I move it to the “den” in the guest room. There I have several of those plastic brush stands that came with a few brushes I bought. Most just stand upright on the handle. Stands really aren’t necessary for storage but I do like having the one in the bathroom. It’s a cheap Perfecto and since it sits away from the sink on a shelf I don’t have to worry about water causing corrosion. But if you want stands for your brushes that is what you should have. The great thing about this hobby is YMMV.

576DA31E-EF21-4805-A792-56210FB70146.jpeg
I use stands, but they’re brush size specific. Diameter +2mm recommended (24mm brush, 26mm stand). Fendrihan has them

I've never used one. After the shave I thoroughly shake out any obvious moisture from the rinsed brush, and then wipe it a few times of a dry towel. I then stand up the brush vertically on its handle for final drying. I've used badger brushes and this drying method for over 30 years, and I've never had any moisture or mildew problems on the brushes I've owned. I use one badger brush, and a single badger brush typically will last me 15 years or so. A brush wears out only from physical lathering against my coarse whiskers, and the knot gradually becomes shorter and shorter.

I used one when I started, but I haven't used one since I switched to Synthetic. Come to think of it, I haven't used one for several years, even when I used badger brushes. None of my brushes, badger or synthetic, have given me any problems.

I have several plastic stands screwed into the inside wall of the closet in our bathroom. Basically on the right side wall inside the shelf area that all of my shaving gear is stored in. It's a nice way to store several brushes on the wall.

For what it is worth, here are my $0.02. When I started, I bought a stand for each new brush.

After awhile I realized that my brushes dry just fine sitting on their handles. My stands are now in the basement.

+1

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
I like two options; first re-purposed old rubber stamp carousels:

proxy.php

Next, just plain shelves:

proxy.php

Brush stands are more for display/appearance than purpose.

I have 4 stands I keep my most used brushes in but that is just to keep them out of the way. The rest are on a shelf waiting their turn in the 4 stands on the counter.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Because brushes dry by capillary attraction, I doubt stands make much difference as long as any excess water's shaken out before the brush is put aside to dry. Saying that, if you like stands, by all means use them. This is, after all, a hobby; so if a stand helps you enjoy your collection, by all means get whatever works for you.

My only concern with some--particularly metal ones--is that they can put some nasty scratches on polyester and wooden handles. So for that reason, I like the little plastic ones TGN and others sell. These stands can be easily enlarged, if necessary, with sandpaper wrapped around a dowel, then polished by wet sanding with a succession of finer grit papers and finished off with medium cut automotive compound. One metal stand that does intrigue me is one Bernd sells that holds the brush at an angle. They're not cheap, but certainly different. There are also a number of wooden stands, usually made by artisans, that can work as well.

And as I mentioned earlier, the big thing is to enjoy what you're doing.

Top Bottom