What's new

Brush (See Post #4012)

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
You are most welcomed. Sorry it took so long to get them posted.
:badger:
William:
No Problemo! :thumbsup:

[FONT=&amp]
attachment.php
“I am an artist. The [mirror] is my canvas and the boar is my brush”. Graham Hill[/FONT]

I can't speak for anyone else, but it's the price that's keeping me from ordering one. Nice brush, but I can order a couple boar brushes of similar quality for the same price.

Same here. I would like one, but I already have a good Omega boar. But I've never had a badger. When it came down to the choice of one of these or a 37 dollar Silvertip from Larry at Whipped Dog, I went with Larry's brush.

My God William, that's just impressive.
Thank you very much, sir!
Without B&B's help, I would not have the complete set. I started with the smoke, and wanted the blue as well. A very kind soul on the BST sold me one. Later, due to outside life getting hectic, I missed out on the green one. (I think it was the green one.). An extremely kind B&Ber let me know that they had one and I could buy it. This place never fails to impress me with its great people.

Hi everyone :) i am very new to this particular thread - i have never purchased a B&B brush, and would certainly love to one day soon - i understand how this works to some degree; limited edition brushes are sold until sold out, and then the next colour/version is released.

Can someone please advise, is this still ongoing? Is the most current version, and is this in fact the LAST ONE they're making???
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/sha...d-shaving-brush-10th-anniversary-edition.html

If this one sells out, will there be another addition? Or is this entire B&B line of brushes stopping? This version, though stunning is WAY out of my price range, as i live in Australia, and i calculated that postage would bring this to $60 USD, and when converted to Aussie dollars, it works out to $80!!! OUCH! So, i'd rather wait again for one of the $20 versions.

Thanks all!

That is the last one. There won't be any more from what they said.

Unless they drop the price on this one, it's your only option for a new one

That is the last one. There won't be any more from what they said.

Unless they drop the price on this one, it's your only option for a new one

Thanks for your response :) what a shame they're making no more! What a bummer...I'll be missing out for sure then...oh well. I wish I'd known about these a while back to buy one of the other colors. Oh well.
Thank you again.

I just purchased the 10th Anniversary brush and it arrived this morning. Sorry that it is sideways, I'm new to B&B.
BTW, I love this brush and after watching NickShaves videos and seeing all of the other versions, I would do/pay a ridiculous amount for the Orange and or Purple version of these brushes. Certainly a lot more than the $40 this brush cost me. :w00t:

Attachments

• $BA59_180x150.jpg
    $BA59_180x150.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 218
  • $20161103_092558 (1).jpg
    $20161103_092558 (1).jpg
    35.1 KB · Views: 240
Last edited by a moderator:
Now that this brush is discontinued, I think those of us that were wise enough to purchase 1 (or 2 or 3...) should drone on and on about what a fantastic brush these are. :lol:

During 2016 I used a number of the new batch of synthetics that hit the market, and they are indeed excellent in both performance and value. Recently I took out my well broken in B&B Essential with a frosted blue handle and was pleased that its performance stands toe 2 toe with the new synthetics and many badgers. What a great brush!

Since it is discontinued. I will say now that I don't like my brush. It was my first boar brush. I got the clear gold leaf version. Any gold leaf parts that were close to the knot tarnished and turned black and green. It never got really soft after many months of usage. And you have to put a silly amount of soap in it to get a good lather. I had picked up a synthetic just out of curiosity and it beats the boar on every front. I pulled the essential back out last night because I was doing some more reading on it. It is just so stiff that building a lather is a lot of work. I am going to use it again for the next few weeks to see if it has just hardened because of age and lack of use. But at this moment, I'm not super impressed. It WAS a beautiful brush though. But the whole tarnishing thing upset me.

Since it is discontinued. I will say now that I don't like my brush. It was my first boar brush. I got the clear gold leaf version. Any gold leaf parts that were close to the knot tarnished and turned black and green. It never got really soft after many months of usage. And you have to put a silly amount of soap in it to get a good lather. I had picked up a synthetic just out of curiosity and it beats the boar on every front. I pulled the essential back out last night because I was doing some more reading on it. It is just so stiff that building a lather is a lot of work. I am going to use it again for the next few weeks to see if it has just hardened because of age and lack of use. But at this moment, I'm not super impressed. It WAS a beautiful brush though. But the whole tarnishing thing upset me.

I haven't used the gold leaf version so I don't know about the tarnish, but your experience with the knot is almost exactly the opposite of the experience I had. The tips are remarkably soft and improved as they split. This knots does have tons of backbone, so if you are used to the plissoft style of synthetics that are soft and springy I can see why a boar bristle know would feel foreign. This knot does not mash well.

I found soap usage to be on the low side with this knot, its fairly small diameter and is not a lather hog whatsoever.

ymmv I suppose.

I haven't used the gold leaf version so I don't know about the tarnish, but your experience with the knot is almost exactly the opposite of the experience I had. The tips are remarkably soft and improved as they split. This knots does have tons of backbone, so if you are used to the plissoft style of synthetics that are soft and springy I can see why a boar bristle know would feel foreign. This knot does not mash well.

I found soap usage to be on the low side with this knot, its fairly small diameter and is not a lather hog whatsoever.

ymmv I suppose.

it figures. I'm probably one of the lucky 1/2% that get a defective brush.

Actually, if anyone would be willing. I would be happy to ship my brush to you so you can check it out and can compare it to yours. if its not the same, would you be willing to try to break it in more for me? I'd be very interested if someone else has more success. Hell, I'll even paypal you $5 just for your efforts.

User error is always possible. I'm no lather genius. But I started with this brush, used it for a long time before I tried the synthetic. I was ok with it, but never thrilled.

Takers?

Let me chime in and say I hated my B&B Essential Boar during the break-in period. It felt like a whisk broom. I almost PIFed it away, but it brought me above a rate threshold so I kept it.

I just kept using and cursing, and then one day, BAM! It's almost like one shave out was horrible and the next it was amazing. It's one of my favorite boars now, which is high praise because I also own a BC Cerda and a Semogue 620. The Omega 40033 was similarly painful to break in, and now is also amazing.

Ok. I'm going to palm lather this thing every night for a month and see what happens. I'd be thrilled if it became useable. Except that it's ugly now. Lol

Claudel Xerxes

Staff member
Ok. I'm going to palm lather this thing every night for a month and see what happens. I'd be thrilled if it became useable. Except that it's ugly now. Lol

It should turn into a great brush as long as you're using it correctly. I imagine that you'll start to notice a different in less than a week. It's been quite awhile, but I'm pretty sure that mine took about 5 or 6 lathers to start to really break-in and about 20 lathers to get it to it's optimum break-in point.

I'm pretty sure that mine took about 5 or 6 lathers to start to really break-in and about 20 lathers to get it to it's optimum break-in point.
I don't want to scare anyone off, bit mine took at least 50 shaves before breaking in. Note that mine was the green seafoam version, which I've read from more than one report was the stiffest of the Essential Boars.

My method of lathering the brush every night might not be a wise one. I forgot that the boar hair brushes need to be aloud to completely dry out so the hairs will split. Yes? So I guess I'll be lathering it up every other night.

I was thinking I should lather it up and let it sit till morning with the lather on it. in the morn, I can rinse it out and then let it dry till the next morning. thoughts? since I wont be shaving with it, I'm trying to do the most effective and efficient thing. I remember I went through the break in similar to this in the beginning with dish soap and everything.

Really gonna miss these brushes :(

I've got four and was looking forward to buying future versions.

Maybe with the surge in popularity synthetic brushes have had over the last couple of years we'll see a B&B synthetic brush someday?
Maybe that girl I had a huge crush on just didn't see my message and wasn't ignoring it?
Maybe someone switching to wetshaving will actually be able to save money?

Top Bottom